OSU Q.B Battle

Not canes related but I found this article interesting. Everyone have been giving him so much hype. I wonder if Tate would have gotten the starting job if he stayed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/saturdaytradition.com/ohio-state-football/still-no-separation-between-justin-fields-gunnar-hoak-in-ohio-states-qb-battle/?amp
He wouldn’t. He was an Urban guy and what Day wants to do doesn’t fit him. I might be wrong but I swore I read something that said Day told him he didn’t fit what he wanted to do from a QB perspective.

Advertisement
I dont know much about his departure dont know about the racial stuff either, I just thought man they didnt put up a fight and one position thats hard to judge is OL and QB those are the toss ups and TE. The closest qb to a lock to me was Tua cause of the all star game and he was going to be surrounded by 5 stars all over.

Yeah, I'm not saying Fields is good or bad, just that Georgia really didn't have a choice but to let him go. They might have just decided that his attitude going forward would have been a problem. Dude thought he should have been the starter over Fromm from day 1 and almost quit the team toward the end of season.

Fiekds is prolly garbage.....if that changes i would eat my crow but elite schools dont just let u walk and push u out 1 unless your a ****** like malik henry (he sucks anyway) 2 u just suck

3 they go out of there way and hide your retardness cause you have lived up to the hype. Sometimes it works out where a Cam Newton situation happens but its more rare i would say then the other options
It’s a little bit different with qbs. So much turnover and transferring at the position

Advertisement
Nothing to do with fear of comp. This is about coaches telling a player to move on, and that’s concerning to me.

Big difference between choosing to leave like Murray and Mayfield, and having coaches push you out of the program to free up the scholly, like what OSU did with Tate. Those coaches couldn’t get him out of there fast enough.

I’ve never seen a coach push a QB out of his program unless 1.. He don’t think the player is good enough to play for him or 2. He’s a trouble maker.

And we know Tate isn’t a problem kid off the field

You do realize that Urban Meyer quit, right? Martell was Meyer's crown jewel: an elite DT QB considered the most accomplished HS QB in the the 5+ years (only Kyler Murray could claim to be better).

Pay careful attention to what Urban Meyer said:

"Every great quarterback—the ones that we've had, and we've had great ones—the No. 1 characteristic is competitive spirit. No. 2 is toughness. No. 3 is ability to lead. No. 4 is intelligence, and then No. 5 is to [be able to] extend the play," Meyer said. "Notice I never said anything about arm strength, delivery."

It is absolutely hilarious to me that the anti- Martell posters claim that Martell lacks arm strength and his delivery takes too long, since Meyer, one of the GOAT coaches, specifically says he couldn't give a rats *** about that. The other qb that Meyer recruited who fit a similar profile as Martell was a QB at Florida whose name rhymes with Tim Teblow.

Martell was Meyer's dude, then after Meyer retires, Day brings another "elite" QB who fits the offense Day wants to run better than Martell, and Martell sees the writing on the wall. Haskins was a slow footed pocket passer who set records, and Day wanted a QB who could throw from the pocket, and thought Fields was more of a sure thing as a pocket passer than Martell. He wasnt bringing in Fields for depth, it was his job to lose. Nearly 65% of 5 star QBs transfer, because they dont want to risk a chance of getting stuck on the bench. Doesn't mean they are scared of competition, it means they are smart enough to realize that it's not worth the risk when there are other teams out there in demand of their services.

You do realize that Urban Meyer quit, right? Martell was Meyer's crown jewel: an elite DT QB considered the most accomplished HS QB in the the 5+ years (only Kyler Murray could claim to be better).

Pay careful attention to what Urban Meyer said:

"Every great quarterback—the ones that we've had, and we've had great ones—the No. 1 characteristic is competitive spirit. No. 2 is toughness. No. 3 is ability to lead. No. 4 is intelligence, and then No. 5 is to [be able to] extend the play," Meyer said. "Notice I never said anything about arm strength, delivery."

It is absolutely hilarious to me that the anti- Martell posters claim that Martell lacks arm strength and his delivery takes too long, since Meyer, one of the GOAT coaches, specifically says he couldn't give a rats *** about that. The other qb that Meyer recruited who fit a similar profile as Martell was a QB at Florida whose name rhymes with Tim Teblow.

Martell was Meyer's dude, then after Meyer retires, Day brings another "elite" QB who fits the offense Day wants to run better than Martell, and Martell sees the writing on the wall. Haskins was a slow footed pocket passer who set records, and Day wanted a QB who could throw from the pocket, and thought Fields was more of a sure thing as a pocket passer than Martell. He wasnt bringing in Fields for depth, it was his job to lose. Nearly 65% of 5 star QBs transfer, because they dont want to risk a chance of getting stuck on the bench. Doesn't mean they are scared of competition, it means they are smart enough to realize that it's not worth the risk when there are other teams out there in demand of their services.
Urban meyer offense isn't predicated on the qb being a great passer. See guys like tebow, miller, barrett and etc. Enos doesn't run that system. If we were a spread offense tate maybe would have seperated himself but this offense really doesn't fit his game imo.

Advertisement
Urban meyer offense isn't predicated on the qb being a great passer. See guys like tebow, miller, barrett and etc. Enos doesn't run that system. If we were a spread offense tate maybe would have seperated himself but this offense really doesn't fit his game imo.

Enos may just value Tate's work ethic and leadership and ball protection from what he has observed from other two. If that is the case Enos seems like the guy who will adjust his offense to suit the strengths of his qb. That is the makings of a competent coach who can adjust to what he has not to who he would like to have. I am sure that is case with the other 2 as well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back