Osborn looking to make Williams' job easier, talks Martell, Njoku

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
After leading all Miami wide receivers in both catches (4) and yards (41) in the Canes’ first game against the Florida Gators, senior WR KJ Osborn is looking to move past the loss to UF and focus on the ACC opener against UNC tomorrow.

“I think we’re just moving on and trying to get better in practice,” Osborn said. “Now we’re locked in on North Carolina. We’ve had two weeks to prepare for them. We’ll continue to execute, learn our game plan and practice well.”

With the Canes starting a freshman QB that had his ups and downs in the opener, Osborn was asked what he can do during games to help out a young passer like Jarren Williams.

“The only thing we can do is make tough catches for him,” Osborn said. “Coach [Dan] Enos is going to coach Jarren to do what he does. We can come back and communicate with him on the sideline, talk about different coverages and things like that, but the only thing we can do is keep running routes and keep getting open, communicate with him, and make tough catches for him to make his job easier.”

Osborn, along with the other two starters at WR, played the vast majority of the snaps against UF in the opener, leaving minor scraps for the backups. Manny Diaz and Dan Enos have said they expect to rotate more frequently at the WR position this week and Osborn talked about how he’s been leading the younger guys that have yet to see much time in 2019.

“They have stayed positive and one thing is that we are all like upping our game, so more guys can get in the game,” Osborn said. “I tell Dee [Wiggins], I tell Jeremiah [Payton], the guys that are behind me - I just talked to Jerimiah when we got off the field. I said, ‘When you get in, make the best of those opportunities.’ Because that’s all I know from when I got in when I was a freshman and started to play. It might be a play you’re not even supposed to be in and, boom, you score a touchdown. And [the coaches] will be like ‘He can do that.’

“Then next thing you know, they start putting him in and start trusting him more. When they make plays, they make me want to make plays. That’s the beauty of being at a school like this with so much competition. I feel like it’s like that in every room. I want those guys to make plays because they make me want to play better as well, which makes the whole team better.”

The backup receiver that saw the most reps in week 1? That’d be sophomore athlete Tate Martell, who has focused more on learning WR position over Miami’s bye week.

“He looks good,” Osborn said of Martell. “He’s starting to get those wide receiver pains, though, from running so much. We try to tell people on the team it’s different at wide receiver, we run all day - `My hamstring, my groin’. Something is bothering him, it’s `Welcome to the room’. But I think he’s done well. He’s learning more techniques from coach.”

As a former QB that studied the entire offense intensely, Martell has had a somewhat easier transition in moving to WR and Osborn feels he has an advantage in that sense.

“Tate is very smart - if there’s a question about something, Tate has the answer,” Osborn said. “Like QB reads, anything, he’s very smart. Coming from the quarterback position he had to know the whole scheme anyway. Now it’s about the technique.”

While the WR room gained Martell, they also recently lost a player – sophomore Evidence Njoku officially moved to tight end earlier this week and Osborn feels he could be a mismatch at the position.

“I think he’ll do well. He has to learn the playbook from the tight end perspective and their techniques,” Osborn said. “But he has a big body, will be a fast tight end. I’m not sure if they want to put weight on, but I think he’ll do well.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Have they? They know the entire playbook? They show up for every workout? The run every play correctly in practice? We don’t know anything. Typical CIS porsters overreacting after one game
Does Martell? Typical fanboy overreacting because we don't all think his "man" is wonderful

Have they? They know the entire playbook? They show up for every workout? The run every play correctly in practice? We don’t know anything. Typical CIS porsters overreacting after one game
I do know that they've been playing WR a **** of a lot longer than your guy

Advertisement

If seniority/experience is the benchmark here then everyone should shut up about redshirt senior Robert Knowles getting playing time, right?

Seems to me that if you're a "career" wideout and Tathan is "stealing" your burn then that's more of a you problem than a team problem. That's also allowing for subjective analysis by the victimized wideout to assume that he would've been in on the play that Tathan was used for too.

If seniority/experience is the benchmark here then everyone should shut up about redshirt senior Robert Knowles getting playing time, right?

Seems to me that if you're a "career" wideout and Tathan is "stealing" your burn then that's more of a you problem than a team problem. That's also allowing for subjective analysis by the victimized wideout to assume that he would've been in on the play that Tathan was used for too.
I've never complained about Knowles being on the field. But Knowles being passed up by better db's is not the same as wr's being passed over by a former qb who just started playing the position 2 weeks before the season started. Guess you're saying that Martell earned his burn by out playing the other wr's. ok.

Stop crying. Other WR need to prove their wealth in practice. We have no idea what Pope or any others do in practice or off the field. People are just crying to cry over Tate being on the field.
He's not crying. ****ed off wr's because a washed out qb is taking reps as a decoy just might be a reality. Hopefully the coaches are aware they could lose talented depth and possible future starters for what so far has amounted to nothing but a decoy. You have no idea either and kids leaving over playing time could be a problem. That's not crying, that's the way things are in college football now. The portal giveth and the portal taketh away.

Advertisement
True. Unless they let him throw it a little as an added wrinkle I just can't see how he's better than any wr in our top 5.

Do you really think they would put him in ahead of better players? Seems like a very stupid thing for them to do. Manny is trying to prove himself as a HC and Enos knows that if he does well he gets a good HC position at another school. It would be idiotic for them to do this.

Sound like some of them don’t know the playbook very well. Who gives a **** if they’ve been playing WR for longer if they don’t know the playbook!

Also, I read somewhere that Enos’s system’s success depends more on doing the play right than speed and athleticism. If Tate knows I’m detail what needs to be done he could have a leg up over his fellow receivers that don’t know the playbook.

That’s the annoying thing about the guys on here. They think they know everything even though they don’t see what happens behind the scenes.

Tate as a decoy in the UF game generated more offense than the backups combined.

Do you really think they would put him in ahead of better players? Seems like a very stupid thing for them to do. Manny is trying to prove himself as a HC and Enos knows that if he does well he gets a good HC position at another school. It would be idiotic for them to do this.
Being able to throw accurately is a skill unique to wr's. None can throw as well as Tate can. That would be a justifiable reason to use him in certain packages. KJ said himself that Tate is still learning wr technique. Technique that Enos has been teaching Pope, Hightower, Wiggins and Payton much longer. But if you think that he's a better wr than these guys then lets agree to disagree. Because I don't think that he is.

Advertisement
Back