Orlovsky on Orange Bowl Boys

Dude needs to bump Jason Witten on Monday Night Football. The way he analysis and breaks down football is like no other right now. Very well spoken. Paints a picture for you when explaining concepts. Most importantly he is honest. Pulled no punches this year during his college football coverage. Espn needs him on NFL coverage.

Advertisement
Dude needs to bump Jason Witten on Monday Night Football. The way he analysis and breaks down football is like no other right now. Very well spoken. Paints a picture for you when explaining concepts. Most importantly he is honest. Pulled no punches this year during his college football coverage. Espn needs him on NFL coverage.
He should really be coaching.

He should really be coaching.
Or. An AD. Take him over Blake James in a heartbeat. Loved how he explained the identity of a program matching what type of players in the recruiting base was gold. Wisky example was dope.

Advertisement
Orlovsky is one of the first media people to call out richt sh*tty system on live tv and simplicity. His first recommendation was Major Applewhite with our recruiting base which is pretty **** telling.... He watch more football Than many of us on the board so he would know tbh in case anyone was on the fence about applewhite

The thing that always baffled me was why couldn't Richt change? As stated, he had to have understood the situation, so why couldn't he do the things that Manny says he's going to do? Only thing I can come up with is that calling plays was the only part of the job he really liked and he figured he'd rather retire than give it up.

It sucks because the simplest, best thing for Miami football was for him to stay and do what Manny's trying to do. I know a lot of people disagree with that, but that's just hurt feelings. He was a good face of the program and pretty good recruiter. If he could have just stayed the **** away from the offense and hired/kept guys based on who could best do the job, he would have been great. Probably.

Advertisement
Orlovsky knows his ****. If he's onboard with Applewhite then I trust his evaluation.

So I transcribed some of the OBB interview and I now if this cat wants Applewhite here.. I am all in!

(OBB= Orange Bowl Boys)

OBB: Last time you were on you referred to the offense as archaic, Manny wants it to be "Modern and cutting edge". Dan Orlovsky if you were an advisor to Manny Diaz what type of system would you like him to run

Orlovsky: Players matter, and you have good players there. my first order of business is getting an OC who understands who Miami is. Here is the thing , there are schools who run a certain style because of the area they are at. For example Wisconsin. Wisconsin has to run that style of football that kind of pounds you, run game oriented, big bodies in the box, because they do not have super athletes around their recruiting grounds. Now when you look at it and are like we are Miami, and we are the breeding grounds big time athletes with speed, athleticism , quickness and agility, you have to feature that every single play. That we can go into our backyard and tap that. That we can have kids come into our backyard and say dude how fun is that to watch.

I was watching all the other bowl games and seeing the numbers they out up, and if I was a kid in South Florida and I'm watching the Miami game, but then I watch the Memphis gam, Im watching Houston or the Clemson game and I'm going dude those offenses are fun! So it has to be an offense that is going to appeal to athletes you are going to appeal to the kids out on the perimeter and yeah you are running 80 plays a game, that means that there are 80 chances for me to get the ball. if you are looking to get 5 or 6 great athletes yo u bevy up the numbers where each can get 7,8 or 9 touches a game. it would be a morphing of a Big 12 type offense for me where you are utilizing space, you are utilizing motion, you are manipulating the defenses eyes. Then also the aspect of physicality on offense. I find it that Bama, Clemson WVU does it great, that they can spread you out but also run, but its about your athletes man, you got to have the athletes

OBB: We always talk about not he podcast how we always thought CMR would be an exceptional CEO. Like the guy who oversees everything and delegates responsibilities to everyone else. It seems he had a chance to do that and decided to walk away. Does it surprise you?

Orlovsky: No it does not surprise me to be honest with you guys I give him a lot of credit for making that decision. Many times you see coaches hang on just because. I give him credit for realizing that wha tis best for me is to walk away, and maybe what's best for the school is for me to walk away. I agree I said it on the broadcast I think he is more equipped to be the principal than the teacher. I love the fact that the school acted quickly and went after Manny Diaz, I see it as an absolute brilliant hire, I am a huge fan of his and I love our time together when we talk. When we talked to coach Richt, you could hear it in his voice, we talked about the losing streak to him and he talked about how hard it was. You don't hear coaches come out and say that, he was like this thing weighed on us, usually you get coach talk, but the openness he had how difficult it was. Also he's a very smart guy. He also had to probably sit back and go I' m behind, we are behind the times right now and I can't change this. Offensively I can't change this, and Im taking an assumption there but I believe that was part of his thought process as well. As I look back on our time spent together I am not super surprised that he decided to walk away, a man rooted in his faith and family, I will be really interested because I believe that Miami is still a ticking time bomb, a gem of place to be. If you can go get an OC like I got my eye on Major Applewhite. Dude you watch that Houston offense and Receivers and Abs are going to be like yeah, that looks fun. So if you can somehow get Major Applewhite to go on board, but can get good fast. Now Obviously who is going to play QB?

OBB: Yeah Manny Diaz said they would look for a guy in the transfer market

Orlovsky: Yeah transferring I think would be a very good option, I don't trust Nkosi Perry, you know, I just don't

OBB: Okay ! We'll take that. neither did CMR because it was musical chairs situation.

Orlovsky: Its not fun but come on man grow up !
Spread you out use speed and athleticism but still be physical and run the ball. Sound familiar... it should.. exactly how it was when Erickson brought the 1 back Offense with Thrill Hill and Company. Could spread out or run it with Mcguire. Sure times change but philosophy is same... it can be done here just need right OC and right players.

The thing that always baffled me was why couldn't Richt change? As stated, he had to have understood the situation, so why couldn't he do the things that Manny says he's going to do? Only thing I can come up with is that calling plays was the only part of the job he really liked and he figured he'd rather retire than give it up.

It sucks because the simplest, best thing for Miami football was for him to stay and do what Manny's trying to do. I know a lot of people disagree with that, but that's just hurt feelings. He was a good face of the program and pretty good recruiter. If he could have just stayed the **** away from the offense and hired/kept guys based on who could best do the job, he would have been great. Probably.
He was hard headed and couldn't not get over that he won a Natty in the 90s and he thought that he still had it and could do it again in the U

I honestly think he was just burned out. I think he could have made the change if his heart was still in it. He probably could have used a season or two off after UGA. In any event, I’m glad he made the decision he did rather than stay on board making half *** incremental changes along the way.

Advertisement
I honestly think he was just burned out. I think he could have made the change if his heart was still in it. He probably could have used a season or two off after UGA. In any event, I’m glad he made the decision he did rather than stay on board making half *** incremental changes along the way.

Yeah, it's vanishingly rare that somebody takes the high road instead of the money.

Advertisement
Back