Organizational Resiliency

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
This past Saturday, we all watched with disappointment at how much farther our Canes must go to regain relevance*. The next contest will show if their has been real structural progress in the program or not.

A few key takeaways
- WHY wasn't the O attack better able to adjust/blunt Clemson's jailbreak blitz (on almost every down)?
-- Was Lashlee that overwhelmed... OR...
-- Were the WRs just that unable to get enough separation for quick slant/strike passes?... OR...
-- Was King overwhelmed at the speed the challenges came his way?
-- I don't include OL here because it has just been beaten to death--they appear better than last year (but so were most Dade/Broward HS OLs over Canes), but just accept they are likely still not even average for ACC play--are they dead last? Maybe not (probably not), but who cares at this point until next season and season after.

Now, what will this Saturday show us?
- Pitt will come with Clemson's D script in hand--if they don't, just moronic until Miami negates it
-- Will Canes O have an answer?
-- Remember the D is the D as is OL
-- It wasn't near the D disaster some are making it out to be--I'd argue they held up quite well considering Clemson's O was given 1,000,000 opportunities to have the ball in their hands

IF our Canes have an overall answer for full press blitzing, regardless if they execute or not (looking at you WRs), that will be a great sign of structural progress for this program. IF our Canes have no answer, Manuela (and others) will have shown again (as if we need more examples) that he just isn't our man.

Let's face it, last year's team would be facing all Ls from this point out (MAYBE Wake excepted as a toss up).

We saw flashes of change, were they real sparks or merely mirages and wishful thinking? Saturday will tell us A LOT.

*defined as consistent CFPO team

Advertisement
This past Saturday, we all watched with disappointment at how much farther our Canes must go to regain relevance*. The next contest will show if their has been real structural progress in the program or not.

A few key takeaways
- WHY wasn't the O attack better able to adjust/blunt Clemson's jailbreak blitz (on almost every down)?
-- Were the WRs just that unable to get enough separation for quick slant/strike passes?... OR...
-- I don't include OL here because it has just been beaten to death--they appear better than last year (but so were most Dade/Broward HS OLs over Canes), but just accept they are likely still not even average for ACC play--are they dead last? Maybe not (probably not), but who cares at this point until next season and season after.

- Pitt will come with Clemson's D script in hand--if they don't, just moronic until Miami negates it
-- It wasn't near the D disaster some are making it out to be--I'd argue they held up quite well considering Clemson's O was given 1,000,000 opportunities to have the ball in their hands

IF our Canes have an overall answer for full press blitzing, regardless if they execute or not (looking at you WRs), that will be a great sign of structural progress for this program. IF our Canes have no answer, Manuela (and others) will have shown again (as if we need more examples) that he just isn't our man.

Let's face it, last year's team would be facing all Ls from this point out (MAYBE Wake excepted as a toss up).

We saw flashes of change, were they real sparks or merely mirages and wishful thinking? Saturday will tell us A LOT.

I hope we can finally get to the point where we don't have to learn some illusive lesson after another humiliating loss...

Saturday will be very telliing Win or Lose.

Obviously a W would be great, but I'm most interested in the HOW answer right now.
Yes. Narrowly beating a bad Pittsbugh team is better than losing, but the team, both players and coaches, needs to come out breathing fire and beat the Panthers handily. They need to be angry, and want to take out that frustration on someone.

A flat, listless team effort would tell me Manny does not have what it takes to be a Miami HC.

Advertisement
Yes. Narrowly beating a bad Pittsbugh team is better than losing, but the team, both players and coaches, needs to come out breathing fire and beat the Panthers handily. They need to be angry, and want to take out that frustration on someone.

A flat, listless team effort would tell me Manny does not have what it takes to be a Miami HC.
To me, I would like to see an initial strategy, adjustments as necessary, and solid execution (or at least competent attempts).

Honestly, just ******* win. A flat, listless team would lose to Pitt.

People really don't give the ACC enough credit. It's full of good teams that a) elevate their games to play the Hurricanes and b) give MOST teams a run for their money.

Clemson are just in a different stratosphere right now, which is why they can walk through the conference. There's only 3 teams in that league - Alabama, Clemson and OSU. Everyone else is making up the numbers right now.

Our route to becoming the perennial ACCCG challenger to Clemson is by consistently winning games against these 'awful' 'weak' ACC teams. Rome wasn't built in a day. Take care of business against teams that we probably should beat and give these SoFl athletes a reason to stay home. Besides the ones who are given life changing bags, you can't convince me that most kids wouldn't want to play for a dominant / relevant Miami team over an SEC team.

Honestly, just ******* win. A flat, listless team would lose to Pitt.

People really don't give the ACC enough credit. It's full of good teams that a) elevate their games to play the Hurricanes and b) give MOST teams a run for their money.

Clemson are just in a different stratosphere right now, which is why they can walk through the conference. There's only 3 teams in that league - Alabama, Clemson and OSU. Everyone else is making up the numbers right now.

Our route to becoming the perennial ACCCG challenger to Clemson is by consistently winning games against these 'awful' 'weak' ACC teams. Rome wasn't built in a day. Take care of business against teams that we probably should beat and give these SoFl athletes a reason to stay home. Besides the ones who are given life changing bags, you can't convince me that most kids wouldn't want to play for a dominant / relevant Miami team over an SEC team.
I hear ya, and I agree, a flat, listless team loses to Pittsbugh. I’m not looking for a 45-0 win, although that would be great. I want to see the team come out with energy, looking like they want to redeem themselves and move forward. Coaches too.

Just win, by 3, by 7, or by 35.

Advertisement
To me, I would like to see an initial strategy, adjustments as necessary, and solid execution (or at least competent attempts).
I was shocked Lashlee had no answers against Clemp$on. He and Manny both stated that the first 3 opponents came out with D's they hadn't shown on film and had to make adjustments. Clemp$on did the same thing and they had no answers. Lashlee admitted it in his presser yesterday.

Pitt doesn't have near the talent Clemp$on had so it'll be interesting to see what both sides come up with.

The How is more important to me, actually. I want to see a team that comes out and leaves no prisoners.

If we just get hammered and look flat, its over for Manny.

I hear ya, and I agree, a flat, listless team loses to Pittsbugh. I’m not looking for a 45-0 win, although that would be great. I want to see the team come out with energy, looking like they want to redeem themselves and move forward. Coaches too.

Just win, by 3, by 7, or by 35.
I want to see that same energy that we had playing them in 2018. A year after they ruined our perfect regular season. Our guys came in ****ed off and ready for blood on defense. We smoked them

Advertisement

A few key takeaways

I think its simple, BV went pure aggressive on the fact that our O-line was going to be better than last season, but still not deep enough to handle their depth..and they would beat us to death over the course of the game.
Little did he know it would be that effective that early.

Yes, I think we could have done some thing to adjust...but then you get to our WR's, who cant seem to imagine how to run good routes or even fight to catch passes unless they are WIDE *** OPEN, and even then, its a toss up if they even catch the ball.

We had better build depth on the line, period...and certainly find a way to get receivers who haven't been coddled all of their lives, and actually have to work hard for their job.

A few key takeaways

I stated in another post that all our future opponents will use Clemson defensive scheme against us. Do we have coaches who can adjust and coach our boys to handle it?

Advertisement
I think its simple, BV went pure aggressive on the fact that our O-line was going to be better than last season, but still not deep enough to handle their depth..and they would beat us to death over the course of the game.
Little did he know it would be that effective that early.

Yes, I think we could have done some thing to adjust...but then you get to our WR's, who cant seem to imagine how to run good routes or even fight to catch passes unless they are WIDE *** OPEN, and even then, its a toss up if they even catch the ball.

We had better build depth on the line, period...and certainly find a way to get receivers who haven't been coddled all of their lives, and actually have to work hard for their job.
Being able to objectively and dispassionately identify givens and root causes is a super power.

Sub-par OL is a given. With that firmly established, what can be done (if anything) to meet the challenge of jailbreak blitzing?

Are the WRs also being exposed as sub-par?

Can they not outcompete on the instant slants or bubble screens?

Is it King's split second decision making on the give vs. keep?

It appeared several broke plays could have been big runs for King if only he kept the ball--VERY EASY for me to say because I don't have a 250lb athlete bearing down on me--my comment isn't a crticism, just observation.

Another brutal reality--Miami doesn't have all the pieces in place for a consistent long pass game. How does Lashlee keep moving the chains against above average Ds?

These HOWs on Saturday will show us where our Canes program is and what direction its headed.

A few key takeaways

I think something that alot of people are over looking is the players. For some of them it seem like the stage was too big and it took them awhile to adjust. For others like Frierson and Bolden they were up to the challenge. That was a big game playing against the #1 team and some of them just looked star struck for awhile.

I'm glad they never folded and kept fighting. Pitt is going to get their asses handed to them

A few key takeaways

Would you bring in Nassim Taleb to deliver the pregame?

Would you bring in Nassim Taleb to deliver the pregame?
I'd bring in whoever Joe Moglia (he is too old now) recommended as an AD.

For pregame, I'd bring in a speaker with a great story to share AND who can connect in some way with the players.

One of the most inspirational speeches I ever heard came later in my previous life. I won't bore with the military details, but translated to Greentree, it would go something simply like this.

What makes a Miami Hurricane? Is it Coral Gables? Is it the University of Miami? Is it Greentree? Is it Soffer Practice Facility? Is it the cleats? The Orange and Green? Is it the entrance smoke or even the coveted U on the side of the helmet?

None of those are Miami Hurricanes, not a one. That is just a collection of stuff.

Those athletes can be Miami Hurricanes, running drills in a broke asphalt Church parking lot wearing shorts and t-shirts.

It's the man in the arena, on the field, playing to not let his team mates down. That is what, and who, Miami Hurricanes are.

Advertisement
Back