Oregon Starting CB DJ James hits portal

I believe we were the first visit so technically yeah lol. He also knows he'll play a lot here. But he didn't commit that I'm aware so until that happens you never know. Ole miss was the team that concerns me the most , they're close to his home and throwing money around. Auburn too. If this drags out too long and he hits Auburn , Ole Miss with visits then who knows?

People felt positive when he left.

So a tweet this afternoon of DVD and Robinson cruisin', AND Field tweeting a photo of DVD captioned along the lines of DVD pondering who the next commit will be. They teasing something?

Advertisement
How would a starting duo of Tyrique and DJ compare to other teams nationally?
Depends on which team you’re talking about...

But it also has to be kept in context that we’ve had Manny & some of the worst CB recruiting in the nation for the last 5 years here, so we don’t have the same kinda head start that other programs have had.

But Stevenson & DJ James is an upgrade from the last 4 years.

I'd be curious to see whose defensive banks ranked statistically better; those under Rumoh or those under TRob - specifically while at UM.

I'd also be curious to see how TRobs defensive back unit ranked nationally in all those DB categories, compared to the rest of the country.

It's great that he had past success with certain DBs but didn't seem to me that he made our DBs better or they improved this year. as opposed to Rumph coaching them in the same tyoes of defense previously. Take a guy like Couch for example; if anything someone could argue Couch regressed under TRobs coaching.
TRob didn’t coach CB’s last year, he was Safeties coach.

And name one program that wants to hire Rumph?

I can name multiple P5’s that are still actively trying to hire TRob right now...

Advertisement
Everyone knows NIL is legal and easy. If someone is using old bag techniques, then they're getting left behind.

When a young man shows up with a brand new luxery car, and compliance sees that he has no NIL registered, there's going to be a problem.

NiL is easy money. I think doing it illegally is probably harder than doing it legally.
The only benefit to the old fashioned bags as opposed to NIL is that there is no income tax on under the table money so you keep that extra 30-35%. Personally I think kids will make a lot more in NIL than under the table money as the players are bigger; corporations.

But it also has to be kept in context that we’ve had Manny & some of the worst CB recruiting in the nation for the last 5 years here, so we don’t have the same kinda head start that other programs have had.

Depends? Great NIL opportunity.

Advertisement
And funneling $ through churches/charities and calling it "NIL" is now legal. Everyone knows its the same people giving money, they just don't have to hide it anymore.

Look at A&M. Those were bags in the past. Now it's NIL. Same people, same money, just no reason to hide it/act secretive like your alluding to. Auburn dropping $ is a given. I assume Mario is very aware of the situation, otherwise he wouldn't have brought James in on a visit.

Some people will still want to hide. Maybe their money isn't legit and they don't want a paper trail. Maybe they dont want to go through all of the headache, paperwork, legal bills, and documentation required for NIL deals. Im sure most will go the legit route and use it as a write off but there will be some who prefer how it was

Advertisement

Also gives time to develop Graves and Rodgers.

The only benefit to the old fashioned bags as opposed to NIL is that there is no income tax on under the table money so you keep that extra 30-35%. Personally I think kids will make a lot more in NIL than under the table money as the players are bigger; corporations.
True. However, with so much NIL money out there, schools and the IRS will likely make sure taxes are paid which will bring attention to those with assets and no declared income. These young men are not employees of these companies. So, I imagine they'll get a form 1099 from the NIL provider. You can bet someone will get caught not paying taxes even if they have a legit NIL deal. If the schools are tracking NIL deals, the IRS can easily audit everyone on the team with and without NIL money.

Trying to skate on the IRS is a bad idea. Just ask Wesley Snipes.

True. However, with so much NIL money out there, schools and the IRS will likely make sure taxes are paid which will bring attention to those with assets and no declared income. These young men are not employees of these companies. So, I imagine they'll get a form 1099 from the NIL provider. You can bet someone will get caught not paying taxes even if they have a legit NIL deal. If the schools are tracking NIL deals, the IRS can easily audit everyone on the team with and without NIL money.

Or just ask Willie Nelson.

Advertisement

Correct. I hope the schools are helping the kids put aside the tax money or having them pay estimated taxes up front. I am confident college kids will not keep money in the bank to pay taxes at the end of the year as a 1099 employee/contractor.

^
Regarding 1099’s and such: In addition to that, out of state kids that go to schools in certain states (Cali for one) will also get hit with additional state taxes, unless they have a valid Cali address. (Cali has crazy contractor regulations)

Agreed. I hope these kids are getting correct and solid financial advice to go with their newfound income thru the NIL.

Advertisement
Back