OPINION: Miami tries to stay afloat as college basketball changes

Advertisement
Well, Lykes had quite the ankle sprain didn't he? Unless I'm mistaken, he was not at the ACC Tournament. By all reports Lykes checked out weeks before. Nobody would like to see Larranaga gone more than me, but there is definitely a Paul Harvey here.

Even though this is an opinion piece, not news, does it sort of squash the idea that Coach L is on his way out the door?

Advertisement
Starting to become harder and harder to distinguish college athletes from pro athletes.

Lykes? Won't be missed see you later imo as that was one heck of an ankle deal the surgery must have attached all the ligaments and then some. More to all these stories like somebody said with the Paul Harvey deal.

I wanted a new coach but if it is Coach L gonna support it and hope he can work some magic. I am sure he would like to dance some more with his players but maybe it wasn't in the cards with the current group? Recruiting failures on coaches part? Me first players hence he wouldn't meet with the coach first?

Who knows...seems like quite the dysfunctional program at the moment.

Wow. Just read.

It's almost as if Ferman has a formula or template for these articles—where make some intro statement, give some analogy (taking on water here, "fog of war" always used in football articles), come off like he's taking a stance against the problem—and then spend the rest of the article making excuses for or defending said maligned coach.

This whole sentiment that "most coaches around the country are in the same boat" as over 2,000 kids will have transferred by year's end—so what? There are countless programs finding a way to win and succeed.

Seems to be such a common refrain for Miami athletics; a laundry list of reason why things go wrong, countless excuses and finger pointing in regards to scandals that crippled the program years back.

A lot of words here that say and do nothing, outside of making excuses for Larranaga's backsliding this season.

"That 2013 championship team had Larkin, Kenny Kadji who transferred from Florida and Trey McKinney-Jones, who played at Missouri-Kansas City. From my point of view, if a young man thinks that transferring will help his career, I don't think there is something wrong with that. But right now it's becoming the rage. They think they can be recruited by the best programs in the country. They think the grass is greener. This is the new normal."

So the portal is great when it works for us, but now the portal is some terrible thing now that it's working against us? Right.

I think it is clear how beneficial transfers have been for this program. Maybe others are unaware of the success we've had with them:

1. Larkin
2. Kadji
3. TMJ
4. Angel
5. Sheldon
6. Murphy

Even before these guys, there was Jack McClinton.

I don't care where the talent comes from:

1. Recruit them out of HS,
2. Recruit them from Prep/JUCO, and/or
3. Transfers

It makes no difference to me, for any random season, where the talent comes from.

Advertisement
Starting to become harder and harder to distinguish college athletes from pro athletes.

Lykes? Won't be missed see you later imo as that was one heck of an ankle deal the surgery must have attached all the ligaments and then some. More to all these stories like somebody said with the Paul Harvey deal.

I wanted a new coach but if it is Coach L gonna support it and hope he can work some magic. I am sure he would like to dance some more with his players but maybe it wasn't in the cards with the current group? Recruiting failures on coaches part? Me first players hence he wouldn't meet with the coach first?

Who knows...seems like quite the dysfunctional program at the moment.
Corch L is a big part of the problem. "Can't teach a dog new tricks." This old adage has never been more fitting. Larranaga is set in his ways and has UM by the ********s it seems. Unlike the selfless act we saw from Coach Richt when he walked away, I just don't see L doing the same thing. That's the most disappointing thing here. Sounds like he hates what he sees. Hasn't been able to do anything about it, but just hangs on to cash those checks. If he doesn't get things turned around quickly, next season will get ugly.

I think it is clear how beneficial transfers have been for this program. Maybe others are unaware of the success we've had with them:

1. Larkin
2. Kadji
3. TMJ
4. Angel
5. Sheldon
6. Murphy

Even before these guys, there was Jack McClinton.

I don't care where the talent comes from:

1. Recruit them out of HS,
2. Recruit them from Prep/JUCO, and/or
3. Transfers

It makes no difference to me, for any random season, where the talent comes from.
Problem with being reliant on transfers or jucos is that it's very difficult to maintain a self sustaining successful basketball program when you're only having guys for a year or two. Miami needs to do a better job of evaluating talent from the HS level. It seems too often we're missing on our evaluations early and by the time we decide to recruit/offer a prospect we get to the party too late. It hasn't been just this staff. These problems have persisted since Hamilton left Miami. I always thought Haith should've pulled the trigger on Hardaway Jr. back in 2010, instead of just focusing on Brandon Knight. Would love for them to look at the in-state and local kids a little more closely. There's been some good talent come out of FL over the last 10+ years. We've just got to be better at corralling some of that talent. Not going to win them all, but for UM not to have a single player from FL on it's roster last year is embarrassing. No way in **** you can be the flagship program in the Sunshine State when none of your players are from down here. I've got no problem whatsoever with going out of state for top HS talent, but if you're going to miss with a kid or take a flyer on potential I'd like to see it happen more with FL guys. In the end as a UM fan I don't care where the HS prospects come from as long as they contribute to the success of the program.

There is no reason for a UNiversity in Miami to have a coach that is 70 something years old coaching Basketball.

Also no reason for us to not have a foot in recruiting NYC or have at minimum 4 state of florida player son roster

There is no reason for a UNiversity in Miami to have a coach that is 70 something years old coaching Basketball.

Also no reason for us to not have a foot in recruiting NYC or have at minimum 4 state of florida player son roster
There's a lot of great coaches at 70 or older. With Roy Williams' departure, Mike Kryszewski, Leonard Hamilton, Jim Boeheim, Rick Pitino come to mind. But ... I agree. It's a younger man's game.

Advertisement
Problem with being reliant on transfers or jucos is that it's very difficult to maintain a self sustaining successful basketball program when you're only having guys for a year or two. Miami needs to do a better job of evaluating talent from the HS level. It seems too often we're missing on our evaluations early and by the time we decide to recruit/offer a prospect we get to the party too late. It hasn't been just this staff. These problems have persisted since Hamilton left Miami. I always thought Haith should've pulled the trigger on Hardaway Jr. back in 2010, instead of just focusing on Brandon Knight. Would love for them to look at the in-state and local kids a little more closely. There's been some good talent come out of FL over the last 10+ years. We've just got to be better at corralling some of that talent. Not going to win them all, but for UM not to have a single player from FL on it's roster last year is embarrassing. No way in **** you can be the flagship program in the Sunshine State when none of your players are from down here. I've got no problem whatsoever with going out of state for top HS talent, but if you're going to miss with a kid or take a flyer on potential I'd like to see it happen more with FL guys. In the end as a UM fan I don't care where the HS prospects come from as long as they contribute to the success of the program.

I agree with everything. The whole game has changed with the transfers and how flexible it is. Even if you recruit HS players ONLY, there is no guarantee they will buy-in and stay for their entire tenure. With that said, it is easier to maintain relationships with local kids during HS. Maybe that strong relationship will give them the comfort to stay/trust.

At the end of the day, fill the roster always with top talent. Keep doing it every year.

Reading this article made me want to punch a hole thru my wall, especially this segment:

Lykes departure was probably the most shocking. Word is that Larranaga was not happy when Lykes passed on a meeting with him and said he was going pro. Then when he found out he didn't have pro options, he asked to return. Larranaga reportedly refused to take him back. Lykes ended up in the transfer portal.
That can't be accurate. Can it?

The AD needs to step in and do something. Coach L has been great for us, but he's not what we need for the future. If you look at the guys he's focusing on in the transfer portal, you can already see he's not going to get many of those kids. We don't want to miss out on transfers and then miss out on the 2022 recruits.

Advertisement
There's a lot of great coaches at 70 or older. With Roy Williams' departure, Mike Kryszewski, Leonard Hamilton, Jim Boeheim, Rick Pitino come to mind. But ... I agree. It's a younger man's game.
I understand what you're trying to say, but there are not a lot of great 70+ year old coaches. I think there are about 360 Division I basketball programs and you named 5. I agree with Pitino, Coach K, Boeheim, Roy and Ham, but an argument can be made that most of these guys if not all of them are past their prime as coaches. Aside from the coaches listed, who else over 70 can you say is a great coach?

I understand what you're trying to say, but there are not a lot of great 70+ year old coaches. I think there are about 360 Division I basketball programs and you named 5. I agree with Pitino, Coach K, Boeheim, Roy and Ham, but an argument can be made that most of these guys if not all of them are past their prime as coaches. Aside from the coaches listed, who else over 70 can you say is a great coach?
You're right! Be interesting to see if John Beilein re-enters the college fray. And, is Larry Brown still with us?

Gotta wonder why FSU just extended Leonard? New contract will take him to age 77. Maybe because without that extension, recruiting might suffer? Surely can't be because they fear another team poaching him at age 72.

Also, with all aging coaches, you know younger coaches are using the age card against them.

The AD needs to step in and do something. Coach L has been great for us, but he's not what we need for the future. If you look at the guys he's focusing on in the transfer portal, you can already see he's not going to get many of those kids. We don't want to miss out on transfers and then miss out on the 2022 recruits.

The AD is Blake James. He is a puppet.

A competent AD would have handled this years ago. We have a tranny ***ing potato who needed 5 years to graduate from Minnesota State Mankato. He isn’t aware we even have a basketball program.

Advertisement
Back