OPINION: Miami tries to stay afloat as college basketball changes

Gables Canes

Freshman

Reading this article made me want to punch a hole thru my wall, especially this segment:

Lykes departure was probably the most shocking. Word is that Larranaga was not happy when Lykes passed on a meeting with him and said he was going pro. Then when he found out he didn't have pro options, he asked to return. Larranaga reportedly refused to take him back. Lykes ended up in the transfer portal.

Advertisement

Reading this article made me want to punch a hole thru my wall, especially this segment:

Lykes departure was probably the most shocking. Word is that Larranaga was not happy when Lykes passed on a meeting with him and said he was going pro. Then when he found out he didn't have pro options, he asked to return. Larranaga reportedly refused to take him back. Lykes ended up in the transfer portal.

Something is going on with Coach L. He has become a grumpy old man and he needs to follow Roy Williams' example.

Something is going on with Coach L. He has become a grumpy old man and he needs to follow Roy Williams' example.
He really does sound like a bitter, stubborn old man for the majority of that article. I get his concern over today's basketball culture, but he also sounds like someone who refuses to accommodate and adapt to today's game and the modern athlete's mentality. The Lykes excerpt is just unfathomable if true. You don't take back your best (or second best) player just because he didn't attend a meeting?

He really does sound like a bitter, stubborn old man for the majority of that article. I get his concern over today's basketball culture, but he also sounds like someone who refuses to accommodate and adapt to today's game and the modern athlete's mentality. The Lykes excerpt is just unfathomable if true. You don't take back your best (or second best) player just because he didn't attend a meeting?

Yeah, whatever happened to the dude who used to dance after the game for his players?

Advertisement
Something weird is going on with our bball program. At first, you could write it off to bad luck: injuries and Dewan. But after 3 years of abysmality, there's more going on.

Time to move on. Adapt or die. Do your jerb, Blake!

"That 2013 championship team had Larkin, Kenny Kadji who transferred from Florida and Trey McKinney-Jones, who played at Missouri-Kansas City. From my point of view, if a young man thinks that transferring will help his career, I don't think there is something wrong with that. But right now it's becoming the rage. They think they can be recruited by the best programs in the country. They think the grass is greener. This is the new normal."

So the portal is great when it works for us, but now the portal is some terrible thing now that it's working against us? Right.

Cross never really bought into Larranaga's style of coaching and the coach had to ask him to leave, a stunning move considering all of the problems the team was enduring. Larranaga didn't compromise his principles. "There is no criticism here, there is instruction," Larranaga said. "If they have their way of doing it and not our way of doing it then maybe we aren't the right program for you."

More evidence of the total stubbornness that is contributing to Coach L's downfall.

Let me start with big grain of salt on anything reported as ”word is” by Gary Ferman. The Lykes thing should fall into the get over it category for L unless there is a lot more background to the world record ankle injury we don’t know about.
On the other hand, in life you should probably make sure you have prospects with your plan A before blowing off a meeting with your plan B. We see that L has no problems with Wong and McGusty testing the waters, and it’s hard to imagine he would have had a problem with Lykes doing it either.

Advertisement

face palm GIF

Let me start with big grain of salt on anything reported as ”word is” by Gary Ferman. The Lykes thing should fall into the get over it category for L unless there is a lot more background to the world record ankle injury we don’t know about.
On the other hand, in life you should probably make sure you have prospects with your plan A before blowing off a meeting with your plan B. We see that L has no problems with Wong and McGusty testing the waters, and it’s hard to imagine he would have had a problem with Lykes doing it either.

I tend to agree, the Lykes thing doesn't really pass the smell test. Jim may be old, but he's never shown himself to be petty. Why would he be going after grad transfer PGs when he had a pretty good one already on the team? Makes no sense.

Then there's the whole nobody misses 3 months with a sprained ankle thing.

I tend to agree, the Lykes thing doesn't really pass the smell test. Jim may be old, but he's never shown himself to be petty. Why would he be going after grad transfer PGs when he had a pretty good one already on the team? Makes no sense.

Then there's the whole nobody misses 3 months with a sprained ankle thing.
That is true, I almost forgot the source is Gary Ferman so we need to take it with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, the quotes from L are frustrating as **** to read.

Advertisement
its been going on for years here with the transfers. This season again with Cross during the season and others leaving after the year. Its a joke by now

That is true, I almost forgot the source is Gary Ferman so we need to take it with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, the quotes from L are frustrating as **** to read.

Yeah, it was tough to read, and not just because it was poorly written.

In any case, at this point I think I'm just gonna wait to see what the team looks like when the dust settles before I get too mad about any particular move or quote. I've been snooping around several other team's fansites lately, and it seems we're far from alone in thinking our team is a mess.

Plus, its not like Jim's going anywhere anytime soon, so we might as well just sit back and see if he can pull a rabbit out of his hat.

At least he is sort of kind of writing about the program being up ****’s creek, unlike Michelle Kaufman who is just telling us that’s rain falling on our heads.

Advertisement
At least he is sort of kind of writing about the program being up ****’s creek, unlike Michelle Kaufman who is just telling us that’s rain falling on our heads.

At this point, Michelle isn't doing much more than ****ing and moaning about all the transfers, as if it somehow affects her life.

I would think she'd be happy about it, at least it gives her easy articles to write.

At this point, Michelle isn't doing much more than ****ing and moaning about all the transfers, as if it somehow affects her life.

I would think she'd be happy about it, at least it gives her easy articles to write.
She is ****ing and moaning about them because L is ****ing and moaning about them. She is a mouthpiece for the program, not an outside, objective, unbiased third party that the press should be.

She is ****ing and moaning about them because L is ****ing and moaning about them. She is a mouthpiece for the program, not an outside, objective, unbiased third party that the press should be.

I don't know about that. She was the one that went out of her way to ask him about it at the press conference, which got him started on the tangent. She's also randomly tweeted about it a couple times in the last week.

Cross never really bought into Larranaga's style of coaching and the coach had to ask him to leave, a stunning move considering all of the problems the team was enduring. Larranaga didn't compromise his principles. "There is no criticism here, there is instruction," Larranaga said. "If they have their way of doing it and not our way of doing it then maybe we aren't the right program for you."

More evidence of the total stubbornness that is contributing to Coach L's downfall.
Actually, it sounds like something Saban
might say.

Advertisement
Back