Opening the playbook

edge

Junior
For the past several years, it’s been a running joke on this board that when we play the likes of Miami of Ohio we have the playbook closed. We are saving it for a game like TAMU. That has never come to fruition until this year. We actually saw plays that TAMU could not have possibly been prepared for. Colby Young TD, Colby Young drag route to get a big first down, George TD on the Jaylen Waddle play (which Cristobal actually implemented for those that think he is a caveman X&O guy), and the TD to Horton. So refreshing that I can’t stop thinking about it.

Now that TVD is in the Heisman race, it begs the question if the playbook remains “open” the next two weeks. Fact of the matter is he will need big numbers to keep up with Williams. I am thinking he needs 7 TD’s total next two weeks to keep up. So does Dawson remain creative to give him a chance? Or do we go back to ground game domination Like we did with Miami? It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Advertisement
For the past several years, it’s been a running joke on this board that when we play the likes of Miami of Ohio we have the playbook closed. We are saving it for a game like TAMU. That has never come to fruition until this year. We actually saw plays that TAMU could not have possibly been prepared for. Colby Young TD, Colby Young drag route to get a big first down, George TD on the Jaylen Waddle play (which Cristobal actually implemented for those that think he is a caveman X&O guy), and the TD to Horton. So refreshing that I can’t stop thinking about it.

Now that TVD is in the Heisman race, it begs the question if the playbook remains “open” the next two weeks. Fact of the matter is he will need big numbers to keep up with Williams. I am thinking he needs 7 TD’s total next two weeks to keep up. So does Dawson remain creative to give him a chance? Or do we go back to ground game domination Like we did with Miami? It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
I doubt TVD plays more than two quarters Thursday and they'll likely keep things really basic. They should be able to dominate on the line and just run the ball down BCC's throats. Still he'll have opportunities and these are the types of games where receivers can turn simple passes into huge gains. Same for the following week at Temple. They're not going to go crazy and let Tyler throw the ball 40 times against these weak teams just to pad his stats.

Advertisement
200 yds and 1-2 TDs this week. The running game will eat some of those yds/pts

Maybe a bit more for Temple.

I don't think Mario will do anything special to try and inflate the numbers.

Advertisement
I think he can get 200+ yards passing 3 TD / 0 INT in one half of play tomorrow, while still having a strong running game called... no need for expanded play book next 2-3 weeks if we can dominate with what has already been shown.

Advertisement
People are thinking it will be Brown.
Likely both.

I know they want to redshirt both this year so I'm curious how it plays out. We have three weak teams in a row and it's likely we won't need Tyler to play a full game in any of them. Right now Emory has three more games to play and Jacurri still has four.

you are aware that in TVDs first and second year the playbook was literally under 10 plays with 95% confidence those under 10 would be called. IN OTHER WORDS, we had no playbook to open up.

Advertisement
I doubt TVD plays more than two quarters Thursday and they'll likely keep things really basic. They should be able to dominate on the line and just run the ball down BCC's throats. Still he'll have opportunities and these are the types of games where receivers can turn simple passes into huge gains. Same for the following week at Temple. They're not going to go crazy and let Tyler throw the ball 40 times against these weak teams just to pad his stats.
I agree with you that scenario is likely to occur but as @miamicanephins pointed out regarding numbers. If we want him to continue to be a Heisman contender and want to recruit high level kids at QB and WR we have to let them go off when they can.

We want to keep him healthy, I get it… and I believe we can but if we can put him in a situation where he and the receivers can eat off the short pass game then let him cook.

Winning on the field and wining the Heisman can both be true. In fact they often go hand in hand.

I say let him eat as long as it’s sensible to do so. If we want to build a pipeline of quality QB’s, showing the Heisman certainly helps.

you are aware that in TVDs first and second year the playbook was literally under 10 plays with 95% confidence those under 10 would be called. IN OTHER WORDS, we had no playbook to open up.
Which is what I was calling out. In other words there was never a playbook to open, it was all boring garbage from the get go. Only exception was Enos against Florida. His first 10 plays were awesome. Then he crawled in a shell rest of the year.

The Heisman race isn't going to come down to Bethune and Temple.

If anything, it may help his resume to say his stats are on par and then only had 500 combined yards and 5 TDs in these games.

I don't think he ends up in that running anyway since it's pretty much just a stats award. Penix is gonna throw for 400+ yards and 4+ TDs on a regular basis because they really don't have a running game and they're almost always 5 wide attack mode.

Of course Travis and Nix will be in it because they also have running ability and accumulate stats there.

I think it goes back to pretty vanilla again until GT. Maybe even UNC, which would be ideal, if they don't have to dip into their bag against GT. The less that is on film with this personnel, the better. You see shades of Dawson from Houston but it really doesn't look like Dana Holgorsen. You see shades of Mario but it isn't what he ran at Oregon or what we ran last year. Really good mesh in that A&M of the best of both and elite creativity. 10/14 and 10/21, dip into the bag all you need. Come out of those games and run whatever you want the rest of the way. Won't be anymore secrets anyway.

Advertisement
Back