only team in FBS in top 5 yards per play on both off & def

Advertisement
we are also 6-3

We also got beat bad by a GT team that got beat by two teams we steam-rolled. The transitive property isn't reliable in football, but how does that work?

exactly its called corching....Al had no faith in Kayya at UL..and went into bend dont break with Neb and Gt...the banners flew and what do you know we play MAN...increased pressure..etc...it was like he told Mark...**** these fans go blitz and play man and watch us get blown out...well well...so far the best 3 games these two have coached here

We played zone 29 times against VT and man 6 times. We blitzed around 50% which is the same as we have all year.

Now THERE'S some stats fo yo ***

Except those "stats" aren't verified to be legit by anyone. He also claims we run blitzed over 50% of time vs Nebraska.

LOL at top 5 in yards per play

Stop posting **** like this on this site. Golden and staff read this site. Tey will no doubt use that stat in the next radio interview to justify a poor defensive showing

We also got beat bad by a GT team that got beat by two teams we steam-rolled. The transitive property isn't reliable in football, but how does that work?

exactly its called corching....Al had no faith in Kayya at UL..and went into bend dont break with Neb and Gt...the banners flew and what do you know we play MAN...increased pressure..etc...it was like he told Mark...**** these fans go blitz and play man and watch us get blown out...well well...so far the best 3 games these two have coached here

We played zone 29 times against VT and man 6 times. We blitzed around 50% which is the same as we have all year.

Except those "stats" aren't verified to be legit by anyone. He also claims we run blitzed over 50% of time vs Nebraska.

I'll take the man at his word until someone disproves it.

we are also 6-3

Well VT sucked anyway....only stat I like is or dis like is 6-3

Advertisement

I have great ocean front property for you in Wisconsin if you are looking to buy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nar3kCu484v2gHxkIHSvLnnmpqObSaLNxQJpQ3-1eOQ

Always looking for feedback if anyone disagrees with any of the stats. Just trying to actually have the facts right.

West end zone:

That's the entire point though. If you want to run an uptempo spread all game, your defense is going to be on the field more, thus more opportunities for the other team to score. This is precisely why you'll rarely if ever see an air raid team with a good defense.

What you are doing is making it seem like defense and offense of a team are completely independent. But they aren't. There is an obvious and direct correlation between rushing offense, time of posession, scoring and total defense.

So while that air raid team may not be any worse defensively, your philosophy is exposing them to more chances of giving up scores. simple math:

Let's say one defense played for two different teams, and say this defenses yards per play results in 2 scores per 10 drives
Team A has a ball control offense and thus faces 10 opponent possessions
Team B runs an air raid, and thus faces 20 opp. Possessions.

So defense B will be giving up 4 scores on average versus the 2 of team A.

Same exact defensive y/play, but different results.

West end zone:

That's the entire point though. If you want to run an uptempo spread all game, your defense is going to be on the field more, thus more opportunities for the other team to score. This is precisely why you'll rarely if ever see an air raid team with a good defense.

What you are doing is making it seem like defense and offense of a team are completely independent. But they aren't. There is an obvious and direct correlation between rushing offense, time of posession, scoring and total defense.

So while that air raid team may not be any worse defensively, your philosophy is exposing them to more chances of giving up scores. simple math:

Let's say one defense played for two different teams, and say this defenses yards per play results in 2 scores per 10 drives

Advertisement

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nar3kCu484v2gHxkIHSvLnnmpqObSaLNxQJpQ3-1eOQ

Always looking for feedback if anyone disagrees with any of the stats. Just trying to actually have the facts right.

bonds-piro.gif

For all the bictching that goes on around here about the defense Miami has played 9 games and the defense has played good to great in 7 of them.

at some point you can't ignore the numbers and the defense has improved tremendously over the past couple years.

After the first couple of games everyone just said wait till the end of the year to check on the defensive rankings and the reality is that the defense is getting better as the year goes on.

Are there flash forwards anywhere? I got some time this week, I'd go through some games.

Are there flash forwards anywhere? I got some time this week, I'd go through some games.

Ain't no flashforwards and all the games except for Cincy, UNC, and the fbs schools are on YouTube in some form or fashion.

Advertisement
Noonkick has a lot of games but I don't know if they have the Miami games this year. There are torrents for all the games though.

Too bad haters gonna hate. Facts only matter to people who can accept or understand them.

Thanks for the hard work.

Yards per play is the most meaningless stat in defensive football. If you can't understand why, I can't help you, bc I don't feel like typing it out for the 10th time.

I agree with your comment, but I'm going to take is as hyperbole. I wouldn't say it's the most meaningless stat--it has it's utility. Yards per play is better than total yards, in my opinion.

If your team's offense is an uptempo passing attack, all your games are going to be considerably lengthened and you're going to play a ton of extra snaps. The same goes for the opposite. If your team's offense is fully committed to ball control, then all your games will be considerably shortened and your defense will rarely be on the field.

Yards per play also take into account your schedule. [insert above analysis for you opponents' offenses]

The king defensive stat category, in my opinion, is scoring defense. I'll save my breath to explain that one. Above all, any responsible analyst/coach would need to consider multiple factors. There's no need to be speaking in absolutes with this stuff. It's not a black and white issue.

West end zone:

That's my point exactly. I prefer yards per play to total defense because it allows you to separate yourself from those other factors. It gives you a more accurate gauge of how many yards you're giving up, regardless of what offense your team runs or who you're playing.

In high school and college you usually see a good amount of teams that run extreme systems. One week you might face a team like Navy, and the next week you might face a team like Washington State. The standard deviation between teams the systems they run is great. Maybe a stat like total defense is better suited for NFL analysis, where almost every team is structured the same way. The standard deviation between teams and the systems they run is minimal.

Again, I need to reinforce that multiple factors need to be considered. There no one panacea.

Advertisement

Take the L like a man. Admit you were wrong and move the **** along. It's obvious the dude charts every game.

Shoulda been more interested in the facts before you started shootin your trap off.

I have great ocean front property for you in Wisconsin if you are looking to buy.

Whatever we did it has been working, why when we almost shut those gobblers out, does even need to be debated. It worked, and that is something our defense has not shown in a long term. Do you have the stats on NC game so we can check the correlation? Thanks.

Take the L like a man. Admit you were wrong and move the **** along. It's obvious the dude charts every game.

Shoulda been more interested in the facts before you started shootin your trap off.

I have no problem admitting I'm wrong if I am. I've been wrong before and will be in the future.

Whatever we did it has been working, why when we almost shut those gobblers out, does even need to be debated. It worked, and that is something our defense has not shown in a long term. Do you have the stats on NC game so we can check the correlation? Thanks.

I usually finish Wednesday around lunch. I'll post a thread then, haven't posted the stats on here in a few games.

Advertisement
Back