Only Division Record Should Be Used In Conferences

SmokeyRone

All-ACC
Purgatory
Never understood why the overall conference record, including cross division games, are counted for determining Division champs.

Its ridiculous, and unjust.

Division record should be all that matters. Most season we, for example, start one game behind the rest of the Coastal because we play FSU, and too many Coastal contenders never play UL, Clemson or FSU, it seems. We basically get a 0-2 start the years we play FSU and UL or Clemson.

Granted, we have no excuse, as we never run the Coastal, but in totality, its still a issue.

Advertisement
I do agree its crap that teams like Duke get to scrape by playing teams like Wake Forest and Boston College instead of playing the real ACC teams

Never understood why the overall conference record, including cross division games, are counted for determining Division champs.

Its ridiculous, and unjust.

Division record should be all that matters. Most season we, for example, start one game behind the rest of the Coastal because we play FSU, and too many Coastal contenders never play UL, Clemson or FSU, it seems. We basically get a 0-2 start the years we play FSU and UL or Clemson.

Granted, we have no excuse, as we never run the Coastal, but in totality, its still a issue.

Yeah I don't know why the guys even suit up against fsu, just mark it down as a loss and take the week off.

Conference record should only be used as a tiebreaker, after head-to-head and division record. Conference record would need to be balanced with strength of conference schedule. Why should a team be punished for losing to Clemson if the other team played BC or Wake Forest?

Advertisement
op is correct though. we need to sign a petition or something. its not right that we have to play FSU every year, GT plays Clemson every year, but ****** Tech gets a pass by playing BC annually. Louisville should be their cross divisional rival to make things balanced.

I've said this for years. As soon as I realized that was how it goes, I whined like a little #####. If we go 6-0 in our division, we should be division champs. If ANYONE does, they should be.

Just ******* beat FSU and the weak *** teams in our division and there's no problem.

This is a bigger issue than most realize

Add this to the fact that the ACC refs totally ***** us in every game..

It's fair to say that the ACC is stacked against us

The ACC is designed from top to bottom to help teams from North Carolina period end of story

Advertisement
This is a bigger issue than most st realize

The ACC is designed from top to bottom to help teams from North Carolina period end of story

Miami continually proves to be the biggest ratings draw but the ACC wants to keep us down because advertisement money doesn't matter.

Just ****ing beat FSU and the weak *** teams in our division and there's no problem.

But you don't think us playing FSU = VT playing BC, do you? Come on now. Yes, I want to beat FSU every year, but it's not an equal task. Nothing wrong with taking division record first, then head to head, then using overall ACC record as a tie breaker down the line.

This is what we've come to. When we joined the ACC, who have thought fans would one day be begging to not have cross division games counted. Good grief.

Advertisement

How so? Didn't seem that way when Miami returned that crazy kick return against Duke.

How so? Didn't seem that way when Miami returned that crazy kick return against Duke.

That last couple of minutes showed incompetence more than bias, IMO.

This is embarrassing...

No doubt. The refs ***** us, the ACC screws us, playing FSU and Clemson leads us to have an 0-2 record to start.... This is stupid, play anyone, anywhere, beat them and it doesn't matter. Life isn't fair, but this is Miami who cares. I like having FSU and the tougher teams from the other side. Improves strength of schedule and if we can't beat them, we don't deserve a good record.

JUST WIN!!

Advertisement
im lazy, but someone should look back at like the last 10 years or whatever and list out which teams have won our side of the division along with who they played cross division that year.

I'm not afraid of playing FSU every year. That's a non-issue to me. Just put us in the same division. The winner of a division should be determined by the record within the division. If they wanted to put Miami, FSU and Clemson in the same division, I'm okay with that.

To me, it's not about any unfairness of who you play. It's counting some apples in with the count of oranges that I don't like. If we played Weak Florist every year instead of FSU, I'd still feel the same way.

Ville led the conference in penalty's (101)
FSU had the 2nd most penalty's (100), but most penalty yards in ACC
UNC was 3rd (99)
Cuse was 4th (96)
We were 5th (95)
Clemson 6th (92)
BC 7th (90)
NC State 8th (78)
Virginia 9th (76)
Pitt 10th (74)
Va tech 11th (71)
Duke 12th (62)
Wake Forest 13th (61)
Ga tech 14th (58)

I think with the bottom 3 is these are real smart kids who are usually 2 and 3 star kids. They are very disciplined and have had to be t get where they are. Hence there penalty's are lower. Don't have kids like ours, FSU, Ville and Clemson who play very aggressive and waiting to put the kill shot on, not as disciplined which is why their penalty's are higher.. UNC ranked 3rd was a little of a surprise . Thought they would be a little lower penalized than they were.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back