One reason I'm not to sure about Cristobal

Cristobal was on his way towards being considered an awesome young hc until his last year at fiu.

I'm sure that team with which Mario " was on his way towards being considered an awesome young hc until his last year at fiu" was sure glad that team did not consider him then; they avoided a disaster that UM should also avoid. This is one reason why one shouldn't hire a non-Coordinator exclusive position coach as your head coach when the success of the team might have come from that team's Coordinator. The fact is that Cristobal got that job was strictly because of UM soldado Pete Garcia from UM who gave him that job he got when fiu had a decent pool of players already.

Once roughneck Mario (he's not good with staffers on his team) lost his Offensive coordinator Scott Satterfield, who actually went on to bigger and better things higher now than Cristobal now, Mario was lost and swiftly went back down to a 3-9. Had dude also been able to keep his staff together, mainly OC Satterfield, he wouldn't have fallen so precipitously. Subsequently, Mario was fired, deservedly so by Pete Garcia.

Y'know I've done a LOT of reading on that 2012 FIU team (more than I probably should but I'm a ********* like that.) It seems that, in addition to the loss of TY Hilton, they had significant injuries at QB and elsewhere all year long. A place like FIU can't really overcome that. From the reading, most of the CFB world was pretty surprised when Mario was canned considering the work he had done the two years prior. Most lay the blame at Pete Garcia's feet.

I still don't want him as HC here.

If you're a great recruiter, like people claim Mario is, you SHOULD be able to overcome the loss of a few players in the Sun Belt. This should be especially true if you're in your 5th year, and you're recruiting in the most talent rich area in the world. I'm sure the other Sun Belt teams faced some adversity in 2012 too.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Cristobal was on his way towards being considered an awesome young hc until his last year at fiu.

I'm sure that team with which Mario " was on his way towards being considered an awesome young hc until his last year at fiu" was sure glad that team did not consider him then; they avoided a disaster that UM should also avoid. This is one reason why one shouldn't hire a non-Coordinator exclusive position coach as your head coach when the success of the team might have come from that team's Coordinator. The fact is that Cristobal got that job was strictly because of UM soldado Pete Garcia from UM who gave him that job he got when fiu had a decent pool of players already.

Once roughneck Mario (he's not good with staffers on his team) lost his Offensive coordinator Scott Satterfield, who actually went on to bigger and better things higher now than Cristobal now, Mario was lost and swiftly went back down to a 3-9. Had dude also been able to keep his staff together, mainly OC Satterfield, he wouldn't have fallen so precipitously. Subsequently, Mario was fired, deservedly so by Pete Garcia.

Y'know I've done a LOT of reading on that 2012 FIU team (more than I probably should but I'm a ********* like that.) It seems that, in addition to the loss of TY Hilton, they had significant injuries at QB and elsewhere all year long. A place like FIU can't really overcome that. From the reading, most of the CFB world was pretty surprised when Mario was canned considering the work he had done the two years prior. Most lay the blame at Pete Garcia's feet.

If you're a great recruiter, like people claim Mario is, you SHOULD be able to overcome the loss of a few players in the Sun Belt. This should be especially true if you're in your 5th year, and you're recruiting in the most talent rich area in the world. I'm sure the other Sun Belt teams faced some adversity in 2012 too.

And I would also add that Mario did absolutely nothing here at Miami to deserve that HC gig at FIU other than being Hispanic and being friends with Garcia... How many position coaches have you seen skip being coordinators and jump straight into the drivers seat???
The exact same principles which we all state why Miami's such a great job is the talent in South FL should also be considered equally for FIU..

Even with the leftover talent from South Fl area, Mario should have given FIU a couple of undefeated seasons if our players are better than everybody else's.. Doc Holiday at Marshall has proven this to be so with South FL guys.

You know, folks make a big deal about 2012 and try to justify the bad year but look at the details. Their starting QB was only out for 3 games and the games he was healthy for, they lost to real sh1tty teams. And, he arguably had a better year statistically than the 2011 starting QB (Wes Carroll).

Advertisement
After UVA cans London, and vt hires fuente or rich rid, if MIAMI hires cristibol he would be the worst coach in the ACC.

Hiring Mario or Charlie Strong is saying Miami can win big simply by out-recruiting everyone. This is false, even if you accept the ridiculous statement either of them would dominate South Florida recruiting. The elite coaches - Carroll, Saban, Meyer, Patterson, and a few others are great recruiters and coaches. Some are better recruiters than others, but they can all coach circles around the likes of Al Golden.

Miami needs a coach, first and foremost.

You know, folks make a big deal about 2012 and try to justify the bad year but look at the details. Their starting QB was only out for 3 games and the games he was healthy for, they lost to real sh1tty teams. And, he arguably had a better year statistically than the 2011 starting QB (Wes Carroll).

Allow me to put a hypothetical Cristobal hire into the proper perspective. Since Butch Davis left in 2001 we have been saddled with 3 consecutive terrible head coaches. Each was worst than the last. Coker was OK as long as he had Butch's players and foundation intact. Once that started to dissipate, so did the wins. Randy Shannon was in over his head and was worse than Coker. After the Shannon debacle we were hungry for a competent coach and were all duped by Al Golden the con artist that talked a great game but was in reality worse than Shannon. Just think of the odds. Just think how unlikely it would be for a school with the history of Miami to hire 3 consecutive buffoons each worse than the last.

Why have I gone to the trouble of writing all of this out? Well, if we hire Mario Cristobal as our next HC, this administration would have achieved the unthinkable. That is hiring a head coach who is worse than Al Golden. The record proves that. Just think long and hard on that and try to reconcile that with the fact that there is a distinct possibility Cristobal has been or will be seriously considered for this job.

Advertisement

dammit mane... wow

The book is a summation of the 2012 FIU Golden Panthers season, which was in short, a debacle. Many of the contents were known to FIU fans before its release, but it contains a lot of inside information about what went on behind the scenes, i.e. backstabbing, distrust amongst coaches, players who were malcontents, poor recruiting, etc. It chronicles how the high expectations of the preseason were met with the realities of being ill-prepared and how it resulted in the firing of the entire football staff. The book is poorly written and contains many grammatical errors, but at $1.99 it makes for a fun read.

Just looked at Alabama roster, they have 6 players from the entire state of Florida and just two of them are from South Florida so where and when did he ever dominate recruiting in south Florida. All I keep hearing is that he's this great recruiter.....funny how it's only since he got the job at Alabama that he has become the #1 recruiter but previous to that he was non factor.

One reason?

Exactly...

There are so many reasons...

First...that means that we would continue to see the Dale! cluster**** offense...

Makes me want to jab a hot poker in my eye socket and twist.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back