One reason I'm not to sure about Cristobal

bigsonnyu

Sophomore
In the event Cristobal lands the job, am i really supposed to believe that he has the connections/name value at this stage in his coaching career, to in-turn land some top assistants from across the country??

IMO, I think Cristobal won't have the pull a Butch Davis and/or Charlie Strong has; in being able to bring some great coaches to Coral Gables! With Butch or Strong, I think a top assistant says, those guys are seasoned, I'll take the chance, and once we win, It'll launch my career! Cristobal, I think not.

At least with Fuente and Herman, they already have an assembled staff of guys they can bring with them.

In Mario's case, Alabama pay's their coaches very well, and all Saban has to do is make a phone call to some booster that'll raise more money than Cristobal can offer any Bama assistant to follow him to Miami.

Not even close to the same affect, if we hand the keys over to Cristobal.

With that said, I don't mind Cristobal on the staff, but I want some quality coordinators and strong position coaches. Might as well do it big!

It's time to spend that cash!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
He doesn't have good connections - who would want to play for him? His staffs are going to turn into golden and Shannon like staffs because very qualified assistants won't want to coach for them and as a result, he'll hire vastly under qualified guys.

At least with Fuente and Herman, they already have an assembled staff of guys they can bring with them.

Bank this --- Butch already has contacted his guys and has a staff now and a direct quote when he was asked about that - "young aggressive guys who can coach and recruit their butts off to WIN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS"

He doesn't have good connections - who would want to play for him? His staffs are going to turn into golden and Shannon like staffs because very qualified assistants won't want to coach for them and as a result, he'll hire vastly under qualified guys.

And he is not an offensive guru nor a defensive guru. His success would be entirely based on the quality of the coordinators he could get, when it should be the complete opposite.

Sound like someone else you know?

Advertisement
Cristobal was on his way towards being considered an awesome young hc until his last year at fiu.

Y'know I've done a LOT of reading on that 2012 FIU team (more than I probably should but I'm a ********* like that.) It seems that, in addition to the loss of TY Hilton, they had significant injuries at QB and elsewhere all year long. A place like FIU can't really overcome that. From the reading, most of the CFB world was pretty surprised when Mario was canned considering the work he had done the two years prior. Most lay the blame at Pete Garcia's feet.

I still don't want him as HC here.

Cristobal was on his way towards being considered an awesome young hc until his last year at fiu.

Y'know I've done a LOT of reading on that 2012 FIU team (more than I probably should but I'm a ********* like that.) It seems that, in addition to the loss of TY Hilton, they had significant injuries at QB and elsewhere all year long. A place like FIU can't really overcome that. From the reading, most of the CFB world was pretty surprised when Mario was canned considering the work he had done the two years prior. Most lay the blame at Pete Garcia's feet.

in 2011 their SOS was 120th (dead last) and they lost 5 games in the sunbelt. SOS went up to 74th and they won 3 games. our SOS is 26th. how many games is Mario winning this year if he was the head coach. I bet you wont argue more than 6-7.

Advertisement

And this is the only reason why I dont want Mario. He doesnt have enough respect to bring in anyone that would want to coach under him. Shannon was a nightmare in regards to hiring coordinators and Golden just stuck with "his posse". I think in time Mario could be good, but he has to get his rep up.

People dog Mario like he can never be a good coach. I disagree. At some point he will be, but we just dont need anymore "on the job training" types. We need a sure thing. Which is why I dont want Herman or Fuente either.

Advertisement

If you're a great recruiter, like people claim Mario is, you SHOULD be able to overcome the loss of a few players in the Sun Belt. This should be especially true if you're in your 5th year, and you're recruiting in the most talent rich area in the world. I'm sure the other Sun Belt teams faced some adversity in 2012 too.

Advertisement
Back