One play changed the whole game

drewm3i

Junior
Up 14-3 with all the momentum, croud roaring, defense swarming, and then disaster struck when McDermott whiffed on that blocked and Rosier put it right in the de's belly. Then we start to overcome that play and we were coming back, down 21-24 in scoring territory and Rosier threw another untimely pick. We just aren't good enough to overcome both of those horrendous plays.

Advertisement
That play changed the momentum, the non holding call gave them the two score lead, and the non PI call that led to int 2 kept the momentum on their side. It was a perfect storm that went totally against us. We didn’t help the cause by not sustaining a drive. There wasn’t a total discrepancy in total yards, but a complete discrepancy in T.O.P. It was 2009 all over again. No way we should’ve lost this game, but honestly, Richt should recruiting the ish out of ELITE OL, DT and DB this off season. I don’t ever wanna get pushed off the L.O.S this frequently again.

Advertisement
It wasn't one play that did it. It was the same old anemic offense where drives are thwarted too many times, and we can't run like the big boys on a consistent level. You can't just single out one area where the offense is weak... we were lucky to get 10 wins.

Scapegoat | Define Scapegoat at Dictionary.com

Rosier made the correct pass on the int, the DE is supposed to be on the ground. Maybe it is simple for me to see because the quick pass is a high school play that I ran a million times. I was a terrible OL in high school, but the one play that was super easy to execute was the quick pass. I went about 190 lbs against dlinemen who went to P5 schools and I never had trouble with the quick pass because I made my living diving at knees. McDermott basically flopped on the ground and the defender jumped over him. You have to engage the defender for a beat then drop down and jump though his knee caps. It's not that hard.

Most of you guys only know what plays look like on Madden, which doesn't animate cut blocks on the OL very well.

Rosier's second pick was when Cager had his pants pulled down by the db. Some of you said, "He should have thrown it high or a jump ball'- nonsense, he threw the ball to hit the wr in the hands in stride. Cager had his guy beat so the only results should have been a TD to take back momentum or PI on the goal line. We didn't bank on the refs f#cking us. Not sure how you are supposed to draw up plays knowing the refs will not call any penalties whatsoever on the opponent.

Their DE catches it, and Shaq drops same opportunity. Not poking Shaq in eye, was a bang bang okay... just example of one team that took advantage of opportunities and one that didnt

Advertisement
If I never see a McDermott jersey again it will be too soon. They both were very mediocre here.
The 2nd pick was also somewhat on Rosier. The announcer even showed why. He was late delivering the ball and it should have been out in front of cager more. Cager didn’t freak out about the call because by him slowing down it put himinplace tocat h the ball. But the dB used the pull to speed himself up in time for the pick.
Rosier also made the same mistake with that pass over the middle to Langham. It looked like he threw into 4 man coverage because he should have hit him right after his cut. But because he doesn’t throw guys open he waited until he cleared the lb. but by then the safeties and the other backer were there. So it looks like a terrible play call when in fact he was open on the initial cut but the ball wasn’t there in time.

I also felt like you could see Homers lack of vision tonight. He’s very much a straight line, one cut type of guy. There were a few runs where a cut back would have gone for big gains. Cuts I feel like Walton would have made.

Defensively I just think our DL need to be more gap responsible sometimes. We definitely got caught in zone too much with McClod tonight. I actually thought Darrion Owens played s solid game. I would not be surprised to see him snatch McClouds spot next year. He made a nice play on that throw to the TE which gives him one more pass breakup than Mccloud on the season. Lol

Up 14-3 with all the momentum, croud roaring, defense swarming, and then disaster struck when McDermott whiffed on that blocked and Rosier put it right in the de's belly. Then we start to overcome that play and we were coming back, down 21-24 in scoring territory and Rosier threw another untimely pick. We just aren't good enough to overcome both of those horrendous plays.
I was just saying the same thing to my wife come here and see this post ... IMO we were on our way to a double digit win

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That was a freak athletic play for the DE to stick that ball. But, as an undersized NAIA OT, we called it a 'blast block' on quick passes; you cut the guy. The Q expects that passing lane to be there. Too many batted passes.

Donaldson wiffed on some pass blocks against a very good D-line. He looked slow, but he's a freshman and will improve.

Miami hasn't had really good, consistent O-line play since Art Kehoe's early years.

You can't say one play lost the game... but that play did change the momentum... IMO we stop playing football in the 4th quarter of the Virginia game... started deflating at that point and never made it back... on offense and defense.. Can't start a fire without a spark... we are in desperate need for a spark

Advertisement
Wis just more talented at several positions, OL, QB, TE , possibly DB. However DB’s and OL holding over half the plays and refs looking straight at and not calling. Richt right in blowing stack. With one more class we have coming in this should not happen losing to this team.

Scapegoat | Define Scapegoat at Dictionary.com

Rosier made the correct pass on the int, the DE is supposed to be on the ground. Maybe it is simple for me to see because the quick pass is a high school play that I ran a million times. I was a terrible OL in high school, but the one play that was super easy to execute was the quick pass. I went about 190 lbs against dlinemen who went to P5 schools and I never had trouble with the quick pass because I made my living diving at knees. McDermott basically flopped on the ground and the defender jumped over him. You have to engage the defender for a beat then drop down and jump though his knee caps. It's not that hard.

Most of you guys only know what plays look like on Madden, which doesn't animate cut blocks on the OL very well.

Rosier's second pick was when Cager had his pants pulled down by the db. Some of you said, "He should have thrown it high or a jump ball'- nonsense, he threw the ball to hit the wr in the hands in stride. Cager had his guy beat so the only results should have been a TD to take back momentum or PI on the goal line. We didn't bank on the refs f#cking us. Not sure how you are supposed to draw up plays knowing the refs will not call any penalties whatsoever on the opponent.

Great post. On the second pick clearly there was a hold by the db that impacted the play, but Rosier doesn't get a full pass here because it was a poorly underthrown ball regardless of the hold.

Wis just more talented at several positions, OL, QB, TE , possibly DB. However DB’s and OL holding over half the plays and refs looking straight at and not calling. Richt right in blowing stack. With one more class we have coming in this should not happen losing to this team.

If they are more talented it is because of better evaluation and development, which is on the coaches. We have always recruited at a much higher level than Wisconsin and if they have a more talented team it's a failure of evaluation and development by our coaching staff.

Advertisement
Wisconsin did what Richt wants to accomplish, imposing their will on the D and took away the TOP. Plus they got away with murder on the holding calls. With an Avg QB and injuries/lack of depth we did good

You can't say one play lost the game... but that play did change the momentum... IMO we stop playing football in the 4th quarter of the Virginia game... started deflating at that point and never made it back... on offense and defense.. Can't start a fire without a spark... we are in desperate need for a spark

Sounds like that spark comes in the form of a new QB

If they are more talented it is because of better evaluation and development, which is on the coaches. We have always recruited at a much higher level than Wisconsin and if they have a more talented team it's a failure of evaluation and development by our coaching staff.

This staff has only had one recruiting class take the field so far. The truth is that it will still be another 2-3 years before this staff has completely filled the roster with THEIR guys that they have evaluated and developed. Rome wasn't built in a day. I know we all want to be back, but it's going to take a bit more time.

Wisconsin did what Richt wants to accomplish, imposing their will on the D and took away the TOP. Plus they got away with murder on the holding calls. With an Avg QB and injuries/lack of depth we did good

Wisconsin didn't have to deal with a QB who won the position by default.

Advertisement
Back