On3 is now my OFFICIAL recruiting rankings site

canetothemax

Redshirt Freshman
Combo ranking of Rivals and 247...

Why not?

1641686429992.png

Advertisement
Rankings based on # of recruits is flawed. I like ON3 approach, but think there should be a minimum # of recruits you have to have. I think our nine or ten is too low. Thinking something like 15 or so. ON3 solves this through averages with minor deductions for having smaller classes.

I do like on3s approach better than others. Average star rating is key

Last edited:
I was going to post about this. I have been comparing the sites a lot lately. I think On3 is more invested in data scientist than 247sports is. The problem is way 247 places value on players. The value of a three star recruit doesn't progress in a linear manner as it approaches the value of a five star. Over time the value of recruits should reflect in performance in games. For example the number one team in 247sports is only 1/3 more than the 25th ranked team but the score would easily be more than double if these teams played.

Transfers has also caused a disturbance team rankings. You really have to compare three things, recruiting class, transfer out class, and transfer in class.

Advertisement
The reason why On3 will eventually overtake 247, is because they stick with objective empirical metrics.

247 & Rivals is completely arbitrary & deeply based on backroom politics & subscriber-count.

The recruiting site that figures out that if you remove personal biases & groupthink fallacy from player ratings, you’ll get a more accurate composite & encourage more fans from every team to wanna pay attention to & invest time into your site.

247 has a stronghold on the recruiting service market because they’re mainly the only game in town & they have the infrastructure to maintain what they’ve been doing for over a decade now, but they have a deeply flawed system that they still haven’t made any efforts to correct or improve. Recruiting evaluation & proper rating is an inexact science to begin with, but there can always be less margin of error, 247 leaves big gaps in their process because they put everything on analysts & writers who are susceptible to doing what drives traffic instead of closely refining their product to get the best outcome.

Whichever medium that understands the market is ripe for a service that is more evidenced based & not strictly on opinion & subscribers, will rise & take over the recruiting service field.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The reason why On3 will eventually overtake 247, is because they stick with objective empirical metrics.

247 & Rivals is completely arbitrary & deeply based on backroom politics & subscriber-count.

The recruiting site that figures out that if you remove personal biases & groupthink fallacy from player ratings, you’ll get a more accurate composite & encourage more fans from every team to wanna pay attention to & invest time into your site.

247 has a stronghold on the recruiting service market because they’re mainly the only game in town & they have the infrastructure to maintain what they’ve been doing for over a decade now, but they have a deeply flawed system that they still haven’t made any efforts to correct or improve. Recruiting evaluation & proper rating is an inexact science to begin with, but there can always be less margin of error, 247 leaves big gaps in their process because they put everything on analysts & writers who are susceptible to doing what drives traffic instead of closely refining their product to get the best outcome.

Whichever medium that understands the market is ripe for a service that is more evidenced based & not strictly on opinion & subscribers, will rise & take over the recruiting service field.

on3 may be fine EVALUATING recruits.

But on3 is TERRIBLE at predicting where recruits go.

on3 may be fine EVALUATING recruits.

But on3 is TERRIBLE at predicting where recruits go.
It’s a brand new site in it’s infancy stage, it takes time to iron out & get every aspect down to a more precise process.

And not lets not act like 247 has a monopoly on accurate predictions, they had 7 different writers/analysts predicting Josh Conerly to USC, 48 hours later he committed & signed to Oregon. Same with Travis Hunter Jr & Kevin Coleman, not one person at 247 predicted JSU & there’s several other examples I could run down, point being recruiting predictions are an inexact science that no site is ever always right about.

The only reason why Canes fans get all bent out of shape about On3 is because they haven’t predicted we’re going to land a bunch of prospects that most hope we do, but that doesn’t disqualify everything else they do & is more of a byproduct of not having a specific writer & analyst covering the Canes yet.

It’s just funny because before On3 most of our fans didn’t like 247 either but now have made them into a Golden Calf, when the founders of On3 are the exact same guys who made 247. So essentially people are upset at same website recruiting model without even realizing it...

It’s like being mad at Nabisco because you don’t like Oreos, but then saying “man whoever makes these Chips Ahoy does a great job with cookies..” It’s the same company lol

It’s a brand new site in it’s infancy stage, it takes time to iron out & get every aspect down to a more precise process.

And not lets not act like 247 has a monopoly on accurate predictions, they had 7 different writers/analysts predicting Josh Conerly to USC, 48 hours later he committed & signed to Oregon. Same with Travis Hunter Jr & Kevin Coleman, not one person at 247 predicted JSU & there’s several other examples I could run down, point being recruiting predictions are an inexact science that no site is ever always right about.

The only reason why Canes fans get all bent out of shape about On3 is because they haven’t predicted we’re going to land a bunch of prospects that most hope we do, but that doesn’t disqualify everything else they do & is more of a byproduct of not having a specific writer & analyst covering the Canes yet.

It’s just funny because before On3 most of our fans didn’t like 247 either but now have made them into a Golden Calf, when the founders of On3 are the exact same guys who made 247. So essentially people are upset at same website recruiting model without even realizing it...

It’s like being mad at Nabisco because you don’t like Oreos, but then saying “man whoever makes these Chips Ahoy does a great job with cookies..” It’s the same company lol
Until On3 comes with receipts and I told ya sos, they will never compete as an insiders insider…maybe a few stay tuneds and a watch the finish..

Advertisement

I appreciate the response, but those aren't my issues with 247 or on3.

I don't care if they don't pick "Miami". I care WHY they don't pick Miami. And I care about the false reporting of "news" that is not really news.

It's fair to criticize 247, because those are paid writers who are getting it wrong. They have to put their names on their predictions, and you would think they would eventually get to "Warchant" levels of lost-credibility.

The issues with on3 are that the prediction system is crap, and then the crap gets picked up by Google. So I pick up my phone, I see a prediction for a player, and there is no transparency or accountability for the garbage.

As I pointed out before, prior to CaneSport joining up, about 20 colleges had actual on3-affiliated sites. They are not using "crystal balls", where you can see the predictions of the writers. Thus, the "percentages" attached to the "predictions" are a complete joke.

There's a fine line between the "hey, 247 Crystal Balls are JUST FOR FUN, nobody should take them that seriously, my bro" and "on3 predictions being picked up and treated as NEWS STORIES by search engines and aggregators".

on3 might BECOME better over time, but for now, they are pure trash on the recruiting COVERAGE side. They might have good metrics for evaluations, but everything else is basura right now.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t On3 “break news” on Jaden OVing to LSU, then changed their “breaking news” to Jaden OVing to TAMU?
Supposedly he's visiting both so technically, they weren't wrong

Advertisement
Back