On3 is now my OFFICIAL recruiting rankings site

Advertisement
The On3 forums were designed by the same group that designed the old skin everyone hated.

It’s a brand new site in it’s infancy stage, it takes time to iron out & get every aspect down to a more precise process.

And not lets not act like 247 has a monopoly on accurate predictions, they had 7 different writers/analysts predicting Josh Conerly to USC, 48 hours later he committed & signed to Oregon. Same with Travis Hunter Jr & Kevin Coleman, not one person at 247 predicted JSU & there’s several other examples I could run down, point being recruiting predictions are an inexact science that no site is ever always right about.

The only reason why Canes fans get all bent out of shape about On3 is because they haven’t predicted we’re going to land a bunch of prospects that most hope we do, but that doesn’t disqualify everything else they do & is more of a byproduct of not having a specific writer & analyst covering the Canes yet.

It’s just funny because before On3 most of our fans didn’t like 247 either but now have made them into a Golden Calf, when the founders of On3 are the exact same guys who made 247. So essentially people are upset at same website recruiting model without even realizing it...

It’s like being mad at Nabisco because you don’t like Oreos, but then saying “man whoever makes these Chips Ahoy does a great job with cookies..” It’s the same company lol

Well, no. I've been hyper critical of On3 because it was clear a lot of their "predictions" were algorithmic and/or bot driven. And ridiculous. They've been a punchline so far. Clearly they are investing so we will see what they become. Not ready for prime time yet, tho.

Advertisement
Well, no. I've been hyper critical of On3 because it was clear a lot of their "predictions" were algorithmic and/or bot driven. And ridiculous. They've been a punchline so far. Clearly they are investing so we will see what they become. Not ready for prime time yet, tho.
The variance of odds in guessing a prediction is about the same as it is at 247.

247 writers guess based on info that is often times faulty or flat out deliberately misdirected, On3 uses data based analytics; neither is fail proof & in both scenarios the odds are pretty much 50% of getting the prediction right.

You guys are overly uptight about On3 because yall are salty that they haven’t factored in Miami thus far in many of their recruiting predictions, which amounts to sour grapes. Which is fine, it’s just funny yall are acting like 247 is so much better when they’re basically the same thing & were founded by the exact same people.

On3 is what 247 was when it first started, if yall perceive 247 as the recruiting Bible, On3 is just the New Testament.

They’re two sides of the same coin, yall are just choosing to critique one side of the coin lol, but it’s the same coin.

You guys are overly uptight about On3 because yall are salty that they haven’t factored in Miami thus far in many of their recruiting predictions, which amounts to sour grapes. Which is fine, it’s just funny yall are acting like 247 is so much better when they’re basically the same thing & were founded by the exact same people.

I'm just going to focus on this one bit. And I'm not "salty", because my just dessert arrives when the kid picks Miami.

I am asking (because you actually may know) how does the "2% Miami" statistic arise from metrics and stats and whatnot?

Miami (until later this summer) has no on3 writers, no on3 site, no real on3 subscribers to speak of. So how does Miami consistently land on single-digit percentages? How do schools with on3 websites, and on3 writers, and on3 subscribers consistently land "greater than 50%" statistics?

And I would also point out...this isn't just "Joe Writer picks one school" in the sense of a prediction. That is a situation where a guy picks one school AGAINST THE FIELD. He will either be 100% right or 100% wrong, from a statistical analysis standpoint. But these ridiculous compilations of "percentages" are a bigger joke, because they purport to be a more complex analysis, when they are...nothing, really.

Is it a fan vote? Is it a writer vote? Is it a compilation of OTHER SITES' Crystal Balls? Is it a secret census of all P5 assistant coaches?

I can understand stats and data related to player evaluation, because that can be based on game statistics like completions and yardage and sacks-allowed and whatnot. But recruiting choice LIKELIHOOD percentages? Yeah, I'd like to see the algorithm on THAT bullsh!te.

Advertisement
Predictions from these knuckleheads is all fun and whatnot, but I don’t get my panties in a wad about any of them. The time to wad up your panties is when a player puts pen to paper with another school.

Understandable.

I'd just like my news alerts to pop up on my phone saying "Rashada sets official visits" (which is a factual news item) rather than "Here's a bullsh!te statistical prediction that says Rashada is 68% likely to pick the Gaytors based on a fan vote".

It's the literal non-political definition of fake news.

Understandable.

I'd just like my news alerts to pop up on my phone saying "Rashada sets official visits" (which is a factual news item) rather than "Here's a bullsh!te statistical prediction that says Rashada is 68% likely to pick the Gaytors based on a fan vote".

It's the literal non-political definition of fake news.
Speculation drives me insane. Just give me facts when they happen.

The key to Rashada is our connection with Ahmad Rashad.
Proud Of You Reaction GIF

Recruiting sites are subscription driven

Doesn't matter if it's Rivals, 247, On3 or whatever. Their job is to first and foremost get people to pay for subscriptions. The best way to get people on board is to be as accurate as possible on predictions but we all know recruiting predictions are a crap shoot so the sites usually fall back to option 2: Telling subscribers what they want to hear. If your site is getting UF subscribers by the bucketful, it would be bad for business to say "well, UF is out of the running for every highly ranked player". You're going to sour fanbases and lose subscribers. Just the way Miami fans don't care about ON3 because they pretty much ignore the Hurricanes. Fans want to be told what they want to hear. Much like cable news broadcasts that cater to sides of the political spectrum, recruitment sites cater to fanbases. There's a reason why they're always updating and changing the rankings, even in the middle of the off season when nobody is actually playing football.

Advertisement
Speculation drives me insane. Just give me facts when they happen.
People want the speculation though. It's why fans drool over anything a perceived "insider" shares. It's why people get mad at writers who "hedge". They want the writer to tell them what's happening even if they don't really know. The general public loves the $#it show, even if it's stupid and unrealistic.

The variance of odds in guessing a prediction is about the same as it is at 247.

247 writers guess based on info that is often times faulty or flat out deliberately misdirected, On3 uses data based analytics; neither is fail proof & in both scenarios the odds are pretty much 50% of getting the prediction right.

On3 is what 247 was when it first started, if yall perceive 247 as the recruiting Bible, On3 is just the New Testament.

They’re two sides of the same coin, yall are just choosing to critique one side of the coin lol, but it’s the same coin.

Actually I had no idea that there was a deliberate or unintentional bias against Miami at On3 until you mentioned it, so I am not being "salty" at all, I promise, I'm being objecting based on what I've seen. I've just seen them post some absurd predictions (mostly on twitter) that were so off you'd think they were just glitches in the system, but no, that was how their model works. It was irresponsible and unprofessional. Reading the tea leaves in recruiting is a bit of an art, you can't just scrape the net for school mentions. I saw WILDLY INCORRECT and EMBARRASSING stuff like kids getting newly predicted to a school they literally just dropped days ago, that didn't make their top 5, etc. Like I said, dumb bots, because they weren't staffed up in any meaningful way to provide a filter or oversight yet. Now you can see they are trying to fix what was an obvious defect in their model, by hiring staff and usurping other network's team sites. They recognized the problem and are fixing it. I'm sure once they ramp up they will be just as good or bad as the rest, but until then...

GIF by Zack Kantor

Advertisement

The two sides of the recruiting coin:
- When I’m right, proud peacock
- When I’m wrong, they’re fickle teenagers bro, just be happy I told you what I heard, you ungrateful ******

Since the beginning of the game… Crootin ain’t easy..

Advertisement
Back