Old Miami Practice

Advertisement
Growing up and playing ball in Miami, we were never allowed to have water during practices. Never. None of us died. As a matter of fact, I never saw anyone cramp up either. Not saying it was right or wrong, but that's the way it was in high school back then. Now we preach hydration to players and they're cramping all the time. Can't really explain why. Perhaps we were outside more on a regular basis and were more used to the heat. I don't know. We tell our players now to drink a minimum of 1 gallon of water per day during school hours. Then also drink at practice and following practice yet kids still cramp in August and September. 🤔
Really?? Nobody was cramping back in the day?? You never experienced a slight cramp..that a like big dawg..If so then you couldn’t have played ball down here cause we used to get half body cramps lol.. I’m ******* with u ..but in all seriousness that type of **** Is not worth it man. It’s more of a mental hurdle than anything tangible to me. That’s why you see South Florida teams struggle in cold weather. When them boys come down here from up north and struggle with our heat, it’s a mental adjustment more than it is some level of conditioning. That’s always been my take on it just my opinion.. I’d rather that good ole 90 plus 80% humidity with the feels of 100 then that cold ****. When I played at Deerfield we had 2 5 min hydration periods at practice . One 15min in..and then right b4 the last period

The whole water thing is retarded which is why it’s not used today. Not only do you harm the players, it negatively impacts muscle growth
U know it was only when they practice on the field it wasnt that they could never drink water. It helps ur mind and body to get use to not coming out the game for water or not getting tired for the whole game.

Advertisement
Howard coached under The Bear and a young Don Shula. Both took tough to new level and so did Howard. I remember Shula having four a day practices, four not two,or one, four. We are not men today. These guys were men and now are basically illegal. Call what they did crazy but the results scream loud. Are the any ex Navy Seals on the board? How was hydration dealt with during **** Week?

U know it was only when they practice on the field it wasnt that they could never drink water. It helps ur mind and body to get use to not coming out the game for water or not getting tired for the whole game.
This got to get body game day ready.during a 10 play or more drive refs don't do official water\hydration time outs.

Howard coached under The Bear and a young Don Shula. Both took tough to new level and so did Howard. I remember Shula having four a day practices, four not two,or one, four. We are not men today. These guys were men and now are basically illegal. Call what they did crazy but the results scream loud. Are the any ex Navy Seals on the board? How was hydration dealt with during **** Week?

Why ask a Seal when we got a member of the toughest spec ops group on the planet? @MotoSniper

A bird will fall frozen from a bow without feeling sorry for itself.

Pain is good, it lets you know your still alive.

GOCANES

Advertisement
The left has taken over
This is what you get now .....call it ***** ball or whatever you want
giphy.gif

They should combine this thread with the other idiotic one about male cheerleaders and make it about denying water to dudes who dance on sidelines during football games.

Really?? Nobody was cramping back in the day?? You never experienced a slight cramp..that a like big dawg..If so then you couldn’t have played ball down here cause we used to get half body cramps lol.. I’m ******* with u ..but in all seriousness that type of **** Is not worth it man. It’s more of a mental hurdle than anything tangible to me. That’s why you see South Florida teams struggle in cold weather. When them boys come down here from up north and struggle with our heat, it’s a mental adjustment more than it is some level of conditioning. That’s always been my take on it just my opinion.. I’d rather that good ole 90 plus 80% humidity with the feels of 100 then that cold ****. When I played at Deerfield we had 2 5 min hydration periods at practice . One 15min in..and then right b4 the last period
Lol. I'm serious man. We had a Water Whistle in HS in Dade ('70s). Coach blew it, and it was a Sprint to an outdoor water fountain. Not cold water, but water. The fountain faced west into the sun, so even the fountain was hot. We'd get over there, and the whistle would blow indicating water break was over. The fastest and toughest seniors might get a swallow. Sophomores and Juniors were out of luck. No 9th graders in HS back then.
Friday night, they'd give us a "salt pill". It was nasty. We'd usually spit it out. Old squirt bottles during games. We'd crack up because the 8pm games were by nature cooler than the afternoon practices and much easier than practices as well, but that's when they'd let us drink. When I got to my 1st college practice and saw hydration opportunities every few minutes, it was so ingrained in me that fluids were bad for you during practice, that I thought the college trainers, etc were weak. Of course I learned. Now we hydrate our players like you wouldn't believe. Big part of what we do.
And TBH, I wasn't kidding. I never saw a kid cramp in Dade county back then. I really have always wondered why. I do think it's because we were all outside so much back then, but I don't know that for fact. More acclimated? IDK

Advertisement
Howards practices from 79-83 were Brutal...Im very close friends with Tony Fitzpatrick, starting NT for 81-83 Canes....Tony told me, Junction Boys had NOTHING on Howards Breakfast Club....If your *** missed curfew....or some disciplinary crap....you'd wish to God you hadn't....

Howards practices from 79-83 were Brutal...Im very close friends with Tony Fitzpatrick, starting NT for 81-83 Canes....Tony told me, Junction Boys had NOTHING on Howards Breakfast Club....If your *** missed curfew....or some disciplinary crap....you'd wish to God you hadn't....

Absolutely. Known Howard for years. A true gentleman but one to those people you would want next to you in a dark ally. From what I read, Saban’s practices make kids quit too. I am certain they are nothing compared to our old ones.

Advertisement
Absolutely. Known Howard for years. A true gentleman but one to those people you would want next to you in a dark ally. From what I read, Saban’s practices make kids quit too. I am certain they are nothing compared to our old ones.
Tony said....Crab Crawls till you were Throwing up...

Literally just google it, every result says that water is absolutely critical for building muscle and a lack of water causes muscles to break down. And on top of it, it’s also dangerous to their health. That’s why it’s retarded you’re literally making your players physically weaker while also threatening their lives.

Ever wonder how combine records are continuously broken? Today’s players are bigger, faster, and stronger - they would wipe the field athletically with those 80s teams.

Literally just google it, every result says that water is absolutely critical for building muscle and a lack of water causes muscles to break down. And on top of it, it’s also dangerous to their health. That’s why it’s retarded you’re literally making your players physically weaker while also threatening their lives.

Ever wonder how combine records are continuously broken? Today’s players are bigger, faster, and stronger - they would wipe the field athletically with those 80s teams.

Could not agree more on the last comment .... original post is part of the "old days were great days crowd" .... no, not really - you were just younger and less bitter about life ..... MAG

Advertisement
Back