OL woes

troycbullock

Redshirt Freshman
We have an evaluation problem. That is on the coaches both current and prions (Richt’s crew).

The HC & OC have a style of play they want. It is up to the OC & OL coach to figure out what OL are needed to get it done. Once that is figured out there is a mold or a type of OL we need to be looking at. Stars are irrelevant.
1. OL either fit the mold we need or we don’t take them. It’s that simple. We have done a poor job of evaluating many players on our OL. Example: Taking kids like Dykstra. Did he fit a mold of what we look for in an OG? Was he nasty? Did he have long arms? Did he have a low base? Or did we just take him because he is a body and he is from the Mid-West? I would suggest the latter.

2. We need to be honest with the kids we do have. Example. Donaldson should have been told, lose weight or transfer. His natural skills cannot be leveraged because he is too fat.

There are things that can be taught. However, no coach is good enough to “coach players up” when they aren’t a good fit for a style of play that is to be implemented. We are stuck with what we have but going forward, if we are running an offense that requires time and creating space, then we need to get the type of kids who have the natural attributes required to get that done.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Va techs dline came into the game and was supposed to be a weak link.... you wouldn’t know it the way they dominated our oline yesterday smfh... They have had trouble getting pressure all year but look elite vs us..

Last edited:
Advertisement
Actually he is

So you are saying he gave a 4th & 17 v UNC? That he was one of 8 defenders who missed a tackle v UF that gave them an easy score? I guess he also spotted VT 20 or so points yesterday as well. Ok I got you.

Miami’s AD made a quick and lazy pick. Yet another promoted coordinator. Did he ever stop to ask how did the last two work out? So yes......we are 2-3 because of the AD.

I will not deny that Manny was a lazy pick. However, given that Manny was the pick and the fact that Manny chose a weak staff, the fact remains, we should be undefeated. Let’s consider that we make a 4th & 17 stop at UNC. Not spot UF points on mis-tackles and and actually make a key FG. Not spot VT 20 plus points and actually make a stop when it mattered. Let’s not talk about OL play. The AD’s choice of Manny as HC could ultimately prove to be a bad hire but it isn’t relevant to the fact that we have been in position to win every game we played this year. There is absolutely no refuting that.

I will not deny that Manny was a lazy pick. However, given that Manny was the pick and the fact that Manny chose a weak staff, the fact remains, we should be undefeated. Let’s consider that we make a 4th & 17 stop at UNC. Not spot UF points on mis-tackles and and actually make a key FG. Not spot VT 20 plus points and actually make a stop when it mattered. Let’s not talk about OL play. The AD’s choice of Manny as HC could ultimately prove to be a bad hire but it isn’t relevant to the fact that we have been in position to win every game we played this year. There is absolutely no refuting that.
Would you consider a superior coaching staff would have been successful in those situations?

Would you consider a superior coaching staff would have been successful in those situations?

Your suggesting the easy way to look at it and it’s a hypothetical.
I would consider the reality that if the players we have make the plays I suggested, we would have been successful in those situations. I am all about personal accountability.

Advertisement
So you are saying he gave a 4th & 17 v UNC? That he was one of 8 defenders who missed a tackle v UF that gave them an easy score? I guess he also spotted VT 20 or so points yesterday as well. Ok I got you.

He hires all these guys , so yes.....he’s the dummy that keeps ******* up. He’s also the guy that had a five minute coaching search , which is insane. All the blood is on his hands and the administrations.

He hires all these guys , so yes.....he’s the dummy that keeps ******* up. He’s also the guy that had a five minute coaching search , which is insane. All the blood is on his hands and the administrations.

Once again, your concern for the overall program regarding the AD and Admin may be legit. But make no mistake, they have no direct relevance to the fact that if our team makes 4 or 5 plays, we would be 5-0 or at least 4-1. If that were the case, you wouldn’t be worried about the AD & Admin.

Advertisement
In any company when you have continual failure at the management level, it's is the fault of who hired them.

In any company when you have continual failure at the management level, it's is the fault of who hired them.

By continual failure you mean both head coaching regimes, correct? If so, then you must consider the good that did come out of the Richt era. Increased spending on the facilities and other upgrades. Wins over a highly rated ND team as well as breaking losing streaks from our biggest rivals, FSU and VT. We were ranked #2 and in the playoff hunt (although briefly) 2 years ago. In other words, it hasn’t been a complete failure at the management level.

Advertisement
Back