Oklahoma Transfer Cornerback Jaden Davis Bolsters Miami Hurricanes' Secondary

Advertisement
Advertisement
I know many aren't very high on him...and he may very well be a depth piece here...and maybe this is just my world view, but I still remember the first half of his freshman season and he was legitimately good to start off his career. IIRC, he was one of the highest graded corners through the first part of his freshman season according to PFF and when I saw him play, he was pretty **** solid. He's seemingly not improved all that much (maybe regressed according to some), but still, last year, PFF graded him out as OU's highest graded tackler.

After checking him out a little when his name came up as an option...my initial thought was a 3 year starter at OU (and projected to be a starter again) should be a plug n play guy somewhere in the defensive backfield (looks more like a nickel, to me, but what do I know). We may not have a Tyrique Stevenson R2 type corner on the roster right now, but Older Brown, Jaden Davis, some mix of Porter/Couch AND our young guys that have to get thrown into the fire at some point shouldn't be complete cheeks.

I guess I slot in on "this guy just raises the floor" and will accept the criticism of his game and that he hasn't improved year over year like you'd expect, but I can't shake that he has had some "highs" as a player and that might cloud my judgment.

Not high on him but depth we need throw him at nickel. That's what's there that's what you have to take. That's why HS recruiting is and always will be more important than portal. Everything's available in HS.

Advertisement
He might not be all acc but I don't get the hate...which one of our corners in recent years besides the obvious would have been able to tackle Deuce Vaughn coming out the backfield like that?

I'll go with Couch his Freshman year.

This is Davis' money year. He could become more than a depth player. We'll see.

We’re at the point with corners where we just need guys who know the p5 level and have played at an adequate level at minimum.

I'll go with Couch his Freshman year.

This is Davis' money year. He could become more than a depth player. We'll see.
No disrespect but I don't think so Couch was a lot better tackler coming in but I thinks he whiffs on this tackle completely and then jogs to the ball.

Advertisement
I was going to say the same thing about Couch. Hopefully Guidry is able to get him back on track he’s a small guy but he played pretty well early on
I'ma couch fan myself, I think it has a lot to do with confidence he used to compete with a chip on his shoulder I just haven't seen that in past three seasons **** he's even regressed since then. Hopefully he can get back to what we thought he was his freshman year

Can't be as unimpressive as Robert's, good take!! If the bigs upfront handle biz, even average corners look good.

Advertisement
It's shocking that Miami will probably have 2 transfers starting at CB, the failure at recruiting this position is shocking.

Stevenson before him. ... We can say that about a lot of spots. Probably 2 of our top 4 WRs will be transfers, too, assuming we land 1 this portal cycle. And Parrish at RB, etc, etc...

I was going to say the same thing about Couch. Hopefully Guidry is able to get him back on track he’s a small guy but he played pretty well early on
With Guidry, if you aren't physical and can't tackle then you won't play. Unfortunately for the program, our depth at corner is terrible so even if you are not physical and can't tackle you probably will have to play because we just don't have anyone else.

Advertisement
Back