Oklahoma’s Offense

Advertisement
I get the idea, but It's not really plausible to show the best offense in the nation and then say "we should be doing this". Play call and play design is what's killing us. Not the fact that we're running a pro-style offense. People talk about how a lot of Miami (high school) teams run a spread, but the BEST programs (Central/MNW/CC) aren't beating people going 4 wide. They're doing it with good defense and putting an emphasis on a solid running game supported by short yardage plays that turn into bigger plays.

Advertisement
Just wait until Spencer Rattler hits the field. Another qb who can win the Heisman.

I get the idea, but It's not really plausible to show the best offense in the nation and then say "we should be doing this". Play call and play design is what's killing us. Not the fact that we're running a pro-style offense. People talk about how a lot of Miami (high school) teams run a spread, but the BEST programs (Central/MNW/CC) aren't beating people going 4 wide. They're doing it with good defense and putting an emphasis on a solid running game supported by short yardage plays that turn into bigger plays.
I'm with you on the pro style, I'm not sure about the Eagles, but look at the teams that are consistently in contention for super bowls. They run a pro style system that has a great quarterback, good defense, and the ability to run the ball. People keep saying do what fits your players. This works for a season or two with guys like Kaepernick or Newton and then what happens? They get figured out and don't reach the heights they have been to consistently.

Advertisement
I'm with you on the pro style, I'm not sure about the Eagles, but look at the teams that are consistently in contention for super bowls. They run a pro style system that has a great quarterback, good defense, and the ability to run the ball. People keep saying do what fits your players. This works for a season or two with guys like Kaepernick or Newton and then what happens? They get figured out and don't reach the heights they have been to consistently.

We not trying to win super bowls, Some take the nflu thing too far... Lol...

I dont care what system we run as long as it lights teams up on college level and has success on college level. We are soo tied to the bs pro style even USC has abandoned that crap at college level because for college game it has changed. The results are in, even saban himself has evolved. We sound like those triple option schools back in day that got stuck in past.

I Could argue how even NFL has taken from college spread and many of top teams benefited from it to great success (even the perennial top teams like patriots) but it doesnt matter. We are a college team that had an edge back in day and now we try to just line up and out talent teams with no results. We need to do better on offense and the top teams in college ball all show this. Lol at even bringing up what CC, NW, and central run, they get players from every other school and just line up. So much transfers in high school it dont make sense.

Everyone fallin in love with OUs offense but thats doesnt win games this time of year IMO. Lets see

The fact OU can even make it to playoffs with no defense is a tribute to their offense and shows its worth. You think if they ran our system they are where they are? We are ******* losing to UVA, Duke, etc. Nobodies in college football landscape with no threat to playoff contention.

Got to respect teams who find a way to get results, and that is a chance at championship. We arent even in that conversation. We can barely compete for the arguably worst division in the sport.

Guess we see how good it is very shortly, not going to playing a tag team D like they do most every week.

Advertisement
Space, mis-direction, creativity, etc. This is the exact scheme we should be running with our athletes.

RichtEmotional_crop_exact.jpg

Fans don't know football. I been doing the same thing for thirty years!

As I understand it, the rule is: If you have a high scoring spread offense it is impossible to have a great defense. Who made this rule, anyway?

As I understand it, the rule is: If you have a high scoring spread offense it is impossible to have a great defense. Who made this rule, anyway?

Its a lie people with terrible offenses probably made up. Bama, clemson seem to get by fine in a season. But come playoff time, those points will fly.

Advertisement
The biggest difference between CFB and NFL is that you don't need elite QB play to win in college. You can win with run game, defense and above average QB play, you likely will need to be above average in 2 of those to contend for the CFP.

You can run Pro Style, Spread, Air raid or a hybrid it doesn't matter, but you have to actually be good at it.

You can run a pro style and win like Alabama/Michigan, Spread as OSU/OU or like Oregon/Baylor a few seasons ago and win. Regardless you must have a good system that your players can execute.

Now if you run a limited system, with very little motion and creativity, bad QB play and your players can’t execute you will end up with a bunch o 4* playmakers picking the ball from the ground or being stuffed on the line of scrimmage.

To be honest CMR scheme can get guys open, The problem is the QBs can’t hit them with consistency and when they do, it’s dropped. So you need a system that creates open guys at a higher rate, because your QBs will miss so many reads and throws. In 2017 we saw how many throws Rosier simply could not make and 2018 we saw Perry be streaky with reads and accuracy, if Miami had better players at QB the system probably would be fine, but we don’t and that’s on coaching too

What? All of the good NFL teams now run a version of the "spread".

I think it relates to pace of the game and how many plays a Spread/Up offense forces it's own defense to play.

Advertisement
Back