OK, spoke today with Claude Jones...

k9cane

Senior
who I've kept in touch with throughout the years after I wrote a piece about him for 'the other website' long ago. Claude(two year starter in 90 and 91 at right tackle), is now a doctor and doing very well and he's one of the most insightful football minds I talk with. Seriously, I've learned a lot from him and we speak often. He was out at spring practice this past weekend as part of the alumni gatherings and he got to see practice.

He said he really like the team we have coming together, loves the athletes outside on offense and the running backs. But when I asked if we had an offensive line he said,'Ehhhhh' chuckling. So I asked if he and Leon Searcy could get into a hot-tube time machine. He thinks St. Louis will be OK at one tackle spot(says he's a good athlete with size) not sure that big Nevaughn is a tackle, though. And to me, this is the whole key to the season(even more so than our QB).

Can this unit be solid enough to deal with the Clemson's and FSU's of the world who have recruited very well upfront in recent years and have NFL material on the Dline? Yeah, we can handle the middle of the pack ACC squads but Miami has loftier goals, right?

As for QB, he thinks Rosier will be our starter to begin the year(which I believe is the consensus)

Dr Jones loves our defense, says he isn't worried at all about that side of the ball.

Also as a side not, really great what Richt is doing with the former players in terms of getting them situated with the 'U Network', Claude says it's really helpful and needed. Not sure how many other universities have this type of program but it's something that Miami should really push more in terms of recruiting - that going to Miami isn't about 3-5 years but the next 50. Its funny but a lot of those guys from those supposedly notorious Miami teams of the 80's(like Claude) have really done well post-football with their lives and it's great to see the program doing things to keep this going into the future

Claude has also lost a ton of weight recently as he has taken up boxing training(says it's an incredibly difficult workout) and his trainer is none other than another Cane - my former Wild Card Boxing Club stablemate lol - Quadtrine Hill

Advertisement
who I've kept in touch with throughout the years after I wrote a piece about him for 'the other website' long ago. Claude(two year starter in 90 and 91 at right tackle), is now a doctor and doing very well and he's one of the most insightful football minds I talk with. Seriously, I've learned a lot from him and we speak often. He was out at spring practice this past weekend as part of the alumni gatherings and he got to see practice.

He said he really like the team we have coming together, loves the athletes outside on offense and the running backs. But when I asked if we had an offensive line he said,'Ehhhhh' chuckling. So I asked if he and Leon Searcy could get into a hot-tube time machine. He thinks St. Louis will be OK at one tackle spot(says he's a good athlete with size) not sure that big Nevaughn is a tackle, though. And to me, this is the whole key to the season(even more so than our QB).

Can this unit be solid enough to deal with the Clemson's and FSU's of the world who have recruited very well upfront in recent years and have NFL material on the Dline? Yeah, we can handle the middle of the pack ACC squads but Miami has loftier goals, right?

As for QB, he thinks Rosier will be our starter to begin the year(which I believe is the consensus)

Dr Jones loves our defense, says he isn't worried at all about that side of the ball.

Also as a side not, really great what Richt is doing with the former players in terms of getting them situated with the 'U Network', Claude says it's really helpful and needed. Not sure how many other universities have this type of program but it's something that Miami should really push more in terms of recruiting - that going to Miami isn't about 3-5 years but the next 50. Its funny but a lot of those guys from those supposedly notorious Miami teams of the 80's(like Claude) have really done well post-football with their lives and it's great to see the program doing things to keep this going into the future

Claude has also lost a ton of weight recently as he has taken up boxing training(says it's an incredibly difficult workout) and his trainer is none other than another Cane - my former Wild Card Boxing Club stablemate lol - Quadtrine Hill

Great post.

What kind of a doctor is he?

Advertisement
Dude - first off great insight from an outstanding source. Second, LOVE me some Quad Hill. One of my favorite all-purpose Canes of all time.

Oline has been bad. They got no push during the spring game. All of those sacks didnt come from RT.

Most of them did.

The OL fix looks cut and dry to me. Move Gauthier over to to RT. Keep Donaldson at RG. Keep St Louis at LT. Mahoney and Gaynor to platoon at C. LG will be Jahair Jones, Scaife, or Boulware.

Advertisement
Great accomplishment becoming a Doctor. Confirms what we already knew. Hopefully Cleve Reed and the transfer from Vols prove to be studs although neither is considered a OT, up grading any OL position is a positive thing.

Advertisement

Good stuff.
I remember that piece you wrote on Jones.
It was very good work on your part and I came away very impressed with Dr. Jones.
I am glad you wrote this and at the time I praised you because I opined, and still believe, that we have had alot of good
people who have played for the UM.
Everyone knows about all of the former and current NFLers, so no one argues about their ability to play football, but
folks often overlook the "student" in "student-athlete" and it is not always the Cane bashing scum.
We have alot of folks who claim to be Cane fans who took this false and misguided pride in our past great teams
being comprised of "thugs", which nothing was further from the truth.
So thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

We attended Dillard at different times and I would just stare at his UM helmet in the trophy case.

Advertisement
Good stuff.
I remember that piece you wrote on Jones.
It was very good work on your part and I came away very impressed with Dr. Jones.
I am glad you wrote this and at the time I praised you because I opined, and still believe, that we have had alot of good
people who have played for the UM.
Everyone knows about all of the former and current NFLers, so no one argues about their ability to play football, but
folks often overlook the "student" in "student-athlete" and it is not always the Cane bashing scum.
We have alot of folks who claim to be Cane fans who took this false and misguided pride in our past great teams
being comprised of "thugs", which nothing was further from the truth.
So thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Carlos, did you know that Anthony Hamlet( two year starter at Dline in the early 90's) is now like a superintendent of schools in Pittsburgh? I found out through Claude's facebook page.

But yeah, I joked with Claude that people still have that image of our guys getting off the plane in fatigues(which BTW, I love) and there is a perception that those guys are the exact same people, that they didnt grow and evolve as individuals. All the stories I did back then of our former players had two overwhelming themes - they were really well-adjusted guy who were making a positive contribution to society in different roles and they all had their degrees(to me, that's the most overlooked part of Jimmy Johnson's legacy at UM)

Carlos, did you know that Anthony Hamlet( two year starter at Dline in the early 90's) is now like a superintendent of schools in Pittsburgh? I found out through Claude's facebook page.

But yeah, I joked with Claude that people still have that image of our guys getting off the plane in fatigues(which BTW, I love) and there is a perception that those guys are the exact same people, that they didnt grow and evolve as individuals. All the stories I did back then of our former players had two overwhelming themes - they were really well-adjusted guy who were making a positive contribution to society in different roles and they all had their degrees(to me, that's the most overlooked part of Jimmy Johnson's legacy at UM)

Yeah, someone on this site noted Hamlet's achievements as an educator and now superintendent.
Pretty cool stuff.
Those JJ teams were great because they had kids who not only were physically talented, but were also blue-collar, hard-working
dudes....and I guess it translated for many of them off the field too.
By the way, whatever happened to Antonio Coley, the OLB from Miami American HS?
Remember the story about him surprising alot of folks in math at UM?

EDIT: Sounds like he's done well for himself.

http://www.i4biz.com/money-finance/tony-coley-of-bbt/

https://bbt.mediaroom.com/meet-our-community-bank-regional-presidents?item=32185

Advertisement
Back