Ohio State AD says recruits are demanding money to visit campus

Advertisement
Cash only. No trail.

Sure. But, a lot of these kids will find out the hard way. Get 10k for visit in cash? Cool. Keep it to myself. But, nope! Now, I have to buy something flashy or put a decent portion in my checking account so that I can "bless the cashapp/zelle/etc" accounts of a couple other people to show that I have it, and there starts the paperwork.

“NIL was meant to allow players to profit from their name, image and likeness. In theory, it was designed for players to do ad deals, sell autographs and be paid to make appearances.

That’s not what’s happening at the highest levels of college football and basketball. Players are being handed bags of cash in return for little to nothing.”

As I’ve said since it’s inception, what we’re seeing is not NIL. This is not what The Supreme Court ruled in favor of. It was ruled that the NCAA or University could not & should not stop a student athlete from their potential earnings it can make from their NIL from a commercial sense, not from boosters anteing up $$ for a kid to go to their favorite school.

The flip side of this is this; the under the table bag schools who r crying about the out in the open bags, there needs to be stronger NCAA & Tax punishments for this to weed out that. U can’t just try to regulate NIL & then go back to the good ole bag days. Nah, if a University get caught w/ under the table deals w/ a “rogue” booster, then that School should lose some schollies & bowl eligibility for no less than 3 yrs (which is the requirement of a CFB student-athlete status b4 declaring for The NFL).

All of this chit needs reformation, if imma keep it 💯.

So that means you're okay with me buying a player's autograph with a bag of cash, right?

Sure. But, a lot of these kids will find out the hard way. Get 10k for visit in cash? Cool. Keep it to myself. But, nope! Now, I have to buy something flashy or put a decent portion in my checking account so that I can "bless the cashapp/zelle/etc" accounts of a couple other people to show that I have it, and there starts the paperwork.

Forensic audit.

Advertisement
Absolutely agree, but who is going to be in charge of deciding that Johnny getting paid $100K for a commercial for the local auto-dealership is legit fair market value?

No one wants that job and if you think fans get mad now about the decisions that NCAA makes, wait until some committee has to start evaluating whether deals are fair.

It’s not about fair market; if Johnny is getting paid $100k to be featured in a commercial, that’s the business’ prerogative. The problem is if the local dealership is only paying said player $100k to be in his commercial to incentivize him to attend his favorite school.

That’s the issue; these young, non collegiate kids are being paid b4 they even hit the field by boosters. That’s bags. I have zero issues w/ a kid already enrolled at a school, & a local vendor/business wants to feature them for commercial purposes. That’s the nature of NIL; what’s not the nature is said local dealership paying $100k to a HS kid who haven’t played a down/scored a basket in college.

Ha.... The irony in this is ******* amazing
It’s next level

Hypocrisy GIF

they want to go back to paying for visits when others weren’t also

It’s not about fair market; if Johnny is getting paid $100k to be featured in a commercial, that’s the business’ prerogative. The problem is if the local dealership is only paying said player $100k to be in his commercial to incentivize him to attend his favorite school.

That’s the issue; these young, non collegiate kids are being paid b4 they even hit the field by boosters. That’s bags. I have zero issues w/ a kid already enrolled at a school, & a local vendor/business wants to feature them for commercial purposes. That’s the nature of NIL; what’s not the nature is said local dealership paying $100k to a HS kid who haven’t played a down/scored a basket in college.
I get what you are saying and agree, but even if they had a way to enforce them not getting paid before they are players, what happens when on the day of the first game the freshman gets a commercial for $200K? I think they will just shift when the payments happen.

To me the most likely way to get this under control is to make the players employees and then the NCAA and schools agree to the terms of what players are allowed to do. Even then I think it is going to be hard to control control everything.

Last edited:
Advertisement
“NIL was meant to allow players to profit from their name, image and likeness. In theory, it was designed for players to do ad deals, sell autographs and be paid to make appearances.

That’s not what’s happening at the highest levels of college football and basketball. Players are being handed bags of cash in return for little to nothing.”

As I’ve said since it’s inception, what we’re seeing is not NIL. This is not what The Supreme Court ruled in favor of. It was ruled that the NCAA or University could not & should not stop a student athlete from their potential earnings it can make from their NIL from a commercial sense, not from boosters anteing up $$ for a kid to go to their favorite school.

The flip side of this is this; the under the table bag schools who r crying about the out in the open bags, there needs to be stronger NCAA & Tax punishments for this to weed out that. U can’t just try to regulate NIL & then go back to the good ole bag days. Nah, if a University get caught w/ under the table deals w/ a “rogue” booster, then that School should lose some schollies & bowl eligibility for no less than 3 yrs (which is the requirement of a CFB student-athlete status b4 declaring for The NFL).

All of this chit needs reformation, if imma keep it 💯.
Most coaches are scared to say this in fear they will lose recruits. Jmo

Wait till SMU starts swinging for the fences... they have 40 years worth of bags piled up..

I know it’s half jest. But it’s also true. There’s a reason they are willing to join the ACC with no TV share. That Texas oil and gas money has been dying to boost a champion for decades and now’s their chance. UT may have serious competition for recruits now.

Last edited:
Wait!

So OSU A.D., at a school that definitively pays for recruit visits, and not only that, pays for recruits not to visit other schools, is now blowing the horn on others paying for visits?

That’s a bold strategy cotton, let’s see if it pays off for you.

Advertisement
I’m actually surprised it’s only 5 G’s…they’d have to pay me way more than that to visit that dump. I remember driving through Columbus once and thinking, “Kids actually wanna play here?”

Advertisement
Im waiting for some young kid or family to get a knock on the door from the IRS....

The IRS will want the bigger fish and that's the school so the family or player will talk for immunity

Advertisement
Back