Offseason OT: All time starting 11

Advertisement
Advertisement
The ask was guys you saw. I remember Burt and Dunn from the NFL but not watching them at UM.

KWII I mentioned, but ranked him after Franks and Shockey. He had the ability, but given era and just how it worked out, I don’t think he hit his potential at UM (or after). He should have been the best. Smith, very solid but behind those guys. Olsen, great nfl career, but got caught in a crappy period at UM, and reduced what he could do or mean on field relative to shockey, say.
You stated KW III. KW II was a consensus All American! I saw all of them except George Mira and Jim Otto.

Advertisement
Don't agree! Although you have named some of the all-time greats, many players have been left out that were better than some of the ones in the list (e.g. Jerome Brown, Warren Sapp, Rubin Carter, Ted Hendricks, Bernie Kosar, Jim Kelly, Vinny Testaverde, K C Jones, Ray Lewis, Frank Gore, Edgerrin James, Clinton Portis, O J Anderson, Chuck Foreman, Michael Irvin, George Mira, etc., etc.). I would suggest that you break it down by decade or era (e.g. before 1960, 1961-1978, 1979-1988, 1989-1998, 1999-2005, 2006-2018).
He didnt say list the best. He said the best you saw. He’s a young un.

You stated KW III. KW II was a consensus All American! I saw all of them except George Mira and Jim Otto.
Lol @ correcting typos are you wearing reading glasses, old man?

Winslow was terrific, and had the most ability of all our TEs, but in my opinion, franks and shockey were better at UM than Winslow. Didn’t help KWII that he had the Coker era and what came with it.

Leaving the only 3 time All American in the history of the program off of the all-time starting team is grounds for a declaration of Formal Fraud:

1965-miami-canes-football-620x1042.jpg

Advertisement
Don't agree! Although you have named some of the all-time greats, many players have been left out that were better than some of the ones in the list (e.g. Jerome Brown, Warren Sapp, Rubin Carter, Ted Hendricks, Bernie Kosar, Jim Kelly, Vinny Testaverde, K C Jones, Ray Lewis, Frank Gore, Edgerrin James, Clinton Portis, O J Anderson, Chuck Foreman, Michael Irvin, George Mira, etc., etc.). I would suggest that you break it down by decade or era (e.g. before 1960, 1961-1978, 1979-1988, 1989-1998, 1999-2005, 2006-2018).
I never saw those guys play, hence why they weren't on MY list. Thats what Im getting at, the best anyone saw with their own eyes.

Lol @ correcting typos are you wearing reading glasses, old man?

Winslow was terrific, and had the most ability of all our TEs, but in my opinion, franks and shockey were better at UM than Winslow. Didn’t help KWII that he had the Coker era and what came with it.
K2 was a beast, but his JR year only one TD, Shockey was like Gronk before Gronk.

Advertisement
QB: Tough call. Probably Walsh for what he did at UM. Kelly for what he did after UM. Kosar for the combo.
WR: Irvin, A. Johnson top 2. Wayne, E. Brown next.
RB: Edge, McGahee top 2, Portis, Highsmith next. Don’t really remember O. Anderson.
TE: B. Franks 1, Shockey 2, KWII 3
OT: McKinnie, Searcy by a mile
OG: tough call. Probably Cooper, Bibla. Linder, Myers were good. Carey also.
OC: Rakoczy, Romberg.

DE: Stubbs, Medearis tops. A bunch of options for next. Hawkins, Lang I think.
DT: J. Brown, Sapp first, Kennedy, Maryland next. Willfork after that.
LB: Lewis, Morgan, Barrow first, easily. Tough call next. Probably Vilma, D. Smith, and maybe W. Moss
S: S. Taylor and Ed Reed, but cannot leave out Bennie Blades, so ? D. Williams next.
CB: McNeil, Rolle followed by Buchanon, Starks, IMO.
Awesome list, thank you.

K2 was a beast, but his JR year only one TD, Shockey was like Gronk before Gronk.
Agreed. KWII was that guy who you knew was the best player on the field, but too often it didn’t get proven - certainly not to the point your eyes expected.

Franks was underappreciated then and now. Beast. And Shockey was shockey. Gronkish. Olsen could well have been every bit as good as those guys if he’d had a QB at UM. He had the tools.

Wtf OP no Michael Irvin? Sapp?vinny? Too many 01 canes on your list. Especially the oline

Advertisement
Back