Official Visit Weekend #3 June 18-20th

Back in the late '80's I used to hear from friends down in Miami who were close to the program that our recruiting reached the stage where we were "selecting" not just recruiting. We had so many quality kids interested that we could, to some extent, pick and choose.

It sounds like we might be entering that situation again. I hope so. It's amazing to think we are recruiting but might not take some vry good prospects who will end up at the major powers, like Bama and Clemson.

On the other hand, I also remember how hard it was to recruit some quality legacies. Andre Carter is one that comes to mind. We got Anthoy Chickillo, but we lost on others. Remember that all world safety from New Jersey (The Hun School, I think) whose father attended UM but didn't play football.We lost the kid to FSU but he really didn't become that great a baller. Ended up as a brilliant student and went to med school. Still, we couldn't persuade him to come to Miami. We also didn't get that DE from Indiana whose father was a walkon. A Greek kid, ended up Purdue.

yep. I’d say that 89 class (JJ’s last) probably is the best ever. It had a collection of National studs.

Advertisement
Really like this kids film man. He's better than Bear Alexander and is right there with Kelly and Stewart imo.

Need to pull out all the stops. Put a presentation with pictures clips from his pops time at UM or something. Have Aristide on them big time.

agree. To me, Lucas > bear even though they are a different skill set. But I love both.

Honestly this D might improve dramatically if it switched to more of a hybrid front like NE or the Fins play. That way the focus is just taking the best athletes and creating mismatches on a week to week basis. @Coach Macho what do you think brotha?
Nah give me a 4/3 with pressing corners and Safety's that roam and LB's that play sideline to sideline.

Advertisement
For years I've been thinking that we aren't multiple enough. I run 6 different fronts, 7 different coverages and at least 4 different personnel groupings... and we're just a high school team. There's no reason why the University of Miami should always be lining up in the same fronts and same coverages versus every opponent.

There's many new and innovative fronts and coverages in the college football world, and I see Miami use NONE of them. We are very stubborn and stuck to certain schemes. Up front we are dead-set on being an upfield 4-front. Meanwhile I've watched our offense play against traditional 4-front defenses that used the Odd Tite front against us to stop inside zone and the zone/read. (Clemson for example)

There are teams all over the college football world that run man/zone combo coverages ("special" is one of them for example) yet at Miami we generally only run zone or man, no combos. And our zones leave areas wide open because we don't play a "match" version...so if we want tight coverage and contested throws we have no choice but to go 'man'.
(I could be wrong, I don't review all of our film, but that's what I've personally seen)

Kinda makes you wonder about that anonymous quote from a fellow ACC coach about Manny thinking he's the smartest guy in the room. Generally those type of guys are stubborn and stuck to their ways, never innovative or embracing new ideas.

I will say this though, some of the blitz schemes that we've drawn up over the years have been ****, but then we overuse them versus too many different opponents so they become predictable. But IMO we leave a lot to be desired in our coverage schemes.
I don't have all-22 to study but I've seen the same thing. Zone is spot drop zone. Maybe once a game I'll see zone defenders matching route concepts rather than covering grass.

Pure 4-3 defense is outdated in today’s cfb and would get ate up
You might be right but with the right players it can do some serious damage. I understand teams are spreading out more so thats why you adjust with adding another DB and taking a lb out. What the **** do I know. I'm old school. LOL

Advertisement
You might be right but with the right players it can do some serious damage. I understand teams are spreading out more so thats why you adjust with adding another DB and taking a lb out. What the **** do I know. I'm old school. LOL
If your front 4 alone can dominate the los both run and pass
It can be successful against anyone
The key is the front 4

Advertisement
I don’t see any athletes in this picture. PASS.

A @RightSaidFred vs @Go Canes!! gif?

Yeah, I’ve got some ideas. Be back in a few.
You guys are vicious

Go Canes!! vs RightSaidFred

64CA8EA8-8BC9-4C9C-924E-31A8548BC10E.gif

Advertisement
If your front 4 alone can dominate the los both run and pass
It can be successful against anyone
The key is the front 4
But unless you have 4 top 2 round dlineman and 2-3 future NFL guys it won't work completely. It's like the NBA you can win with 2 dominant 7 footers but they have to be so perfect together for it to work in 2021

For years I've been thinking that we aren't multiple enough. I run 6 different fronts, 7 different coverages and at least 4 different personnel groupings... and we're just a high school team. There's no reason why the University of Miami should always be lining up in the same fronts and same coverages versus every opponent.

There's many new and innovative fronts and coverages in the college football world, and I see Miami use NONE of them. We are very stubborn and stuck to certain schemes. Up front we are dead-set on being an upfield 4-front. Meanwhile I've watched our offense play against traditional 4-front defenses that used the Odd Tite front against us to stop inside zone and the zone/read. (Clemson for example)

There are teams all over the college football world that run man/zone combo coverages ("special" is one of them for example) yet at Miami we generally only run zone or man, no combos. And our zones leave areas wide open because we don't play a "match" version...so if we want tight coverage and contested throws we have no choice but to go 'man'.
(I could be wrong, I don't review all of our film, but that's what I've personally seen)

Kinda makes you wonder about that anonymous quote from a fellow ACC coach about Manny thinking he's the smartest guy in the room. Generally those type of guys are stubborn and stuck to their ways, never innovative or embracing new ideas.

I will say this though, some of the blitz schemes that we've drawn up over the years have been ****, but then we overuse them versus too many different opponents so they become predictable. But IMO we leave a lot to be desired in our coverage schemes.
Yup, though moreso the predictability and lack of coverage options IMO. Sometimes we at least vary the front and mix things up with creative (albeit overused) blitzes. But the easily exploited spot zone coverage has been annoying to watch these past few seasons.

Advertisement
Back