Visits Official & Unofficial Visitors June 19-26, 2023

I agree with you that based on what we have the portal is the best route but it is risky and it underlines my frustrations there. We have dropped the ball QB recruiting wise. Whether you believe in JB or not the reality is that he was a project, Emory is a project and now Judd is a project. We need to do a better job recruiting QBs. Judd is so raw, his footwork is garbage and his stats are pedestrian. Not sure who we flip or find but we need to do better at QB recruiting and I’m not asking for the world here. If TVD is gone which he probably is after this year we are in a bad spot and nobody to blame but ourselves. JB looked horrible in the spring game and didn’t look good in 22, sure he has time but a roster that otherwise should be pretty **** good in 24 might get clipped before it takes off because of bad QB recruiting.

I think you are right. I'd say something like 90% of HS QBs are "projects" to some degree, but there are levels to it and our young QBs could use some time to bake.

Brown was always 2+ years guy with incredible athleticism and physical traits, but who really needs to develop as a thrower. Williams is a more polished thrower comparatively, but physical development and learning college offense/defenses alone makes him more of a 2+ years guy, too. Judd has physical tools and arm talent, but has very little experience in an offense that actually throws the football, looks raw from the feet up, and needs to work on his accuracy. We'll see what he does as a senior, but he looks like another 2+ years guy at this point.

We're now left in the spot where we need to hope that there are some worthwhile options available in the portal come December and that at least one of them is highly interested in coming to UM, or pray one of our young QBs is able to take a huge leap into starting QB. That's very risky.

I don't want to be in the same spot in 2025, so Mario and Dawson need to bust their asses to get a top 2024 guy. Not for 2024 (that ship has sailed), but for 2025.

Advertisement
Where does the narrative that mario didn't try to land a top tier QB come from? What was Raiola and Air Noland?

These QBs get locked up early. Changing up the staff didn't help the timeline. They seem to have a big board already for 2025 and even offered 2026 and 2027

Im not judging JB off 1 spring game. I trust other people like D$ who seen him the entire spring. Also a spring game where he cant use his best attribute. So no.

Also Emory is not a project. He was simply lowly ranked by recruiting services. Is no way u can watch man film and say he is a project.

As for Judd i will watch his Senior film. I seen elite throws on his film better throws than alot of higher ranked players.

And finally if Dawson can get Thune drafted, i would trust him with all these guys u calling projects including Judd.
We are gonna agree to disagree here. You have a way more optimistic outlook than I do. I believe our current QB situation after TVD at this time is rather anemic. Out of all the QBs I’m highest on Emory and I don’t see anything special there. JB struggles with throwing the ball and Judd is a mess with his mechanics. Lastly Thune wasn’t a solo Dawson effort. You do realize that Dana is the architect of that offense and specializes in QB coaching right? I’ve seen this mentioned by people all the time since we hired him. Dawson is solid but his best work was always under Dana.

Im not judging JB off 1 spring game. I trust other people like D$ who seen him the entire spring. Also a spring game where he cant use his best attribute. So no.

Also Emory is not a project. He was simply lowly ranked by recruiting services. Is no way u can watch man film and say he is a project.

As for Judd i will watch his Senior film. I seen elite throws on his film better throws than alot of higher ranked players.

And finally if Dawson can get Thune drafted, i would trust him with all these guys u calling projects including Judd.
The qbs we have after tvd are nothing special
No reason to spin it any other way
But it looks like Mario is gonna try to recruit to a level u can just stick in any game manager at qb
I personally prefer this approach

Last edited:
Where does the narrative that mario didn't try to land a top tier QB come from? What was Raiola and Air Noland?

These QBs get locked up early. Changing up the staff didn't help the timeline. They seem to have a big board already for 2025 and even offered 2026 and 2027

I don't think anyone is saying Mario/Dawson didn't try to land bigger 2024 fish than Judd. I do think people are laughing at the evolving narrative that Judd is suddenly such a hot prospect that Mario/Dawson aren't looking at other blue chip QB options for 2024.

That said, in the end recruiting and talent acquisition is a results-oriented business. There is still time, sure, but simply "trying" isn't enough. To quote a true 🐐: "Do, or do not. There is no try."

Advertisement
Not even a camp a 7 on 7 tournament that led to a UGA workout where they said nice things about him. They have zero intention of pursuing him unless their current QB2 flips somewhere else. Leave it to fans to turn it into something it’s not.
UGA QB2 is my good friend's nephew. he is all in on UGA even with Riola in the fold.

The qbs we have after tvd are nothing special
No reason to spin it any other way
But it looks like Mario is gonna try to recruit to a level u can just stick in any game manager at qb
I personally prefer this approach
JB is special.

It’s as simple as this: which program in the Top 20 right now would want Judd as QB1?

He’s just not a very high ceiling to shoot for. Maybe the evals are pristine and Judd has a massive senior year / continues developing in college and becomes the guy. But right now on the surface…I don’t think anyone is looking at him as QB1. That’s just the truth.

Hopefully we’re still working on some massive flips. I think QB recruiting will heat up when Dawson and TVD put points on the board

Exactly. Which is a big part of why Gaby's premise of not wanting to rock the boat with Judd is nonsensical.

- Kirby at UGA has the #1 overall recruit in Dylan Raiola and a top 150 QB in Ryan Puglisi committed in the '24 class. They have three former blue-chip recruits fighting for the QB job this year. Smart certainly isn’t looking for just a game manager now that Stetson Bennett is gone.
- Saban at Bama landed 5* Ty Simpson in '22, top 100 QB Eli Holstein in '23, and has 5* QB Julian Sayin committed in the '24 class
- Dabo at Clemson signed 5* QB Cade Klubnik in '22 followed by top 100 QB Christopher Vizzina in '23
- Day at OSU beat us head-to-head for top 100 QB Air Noland in the ‘24 class. They have multiple former Top 50 overall recruits fighting for their QB job this year.
- Riley at USC brought the 5* QB he recruited to OU with him out west in Caleb Williams and then signed 5* Malachi Nelson in '23.

No serious program would feel remotely positive about where they stand relative to the CFB playoff mainstays they’re trying to compete against if they only landed the QB’s we’ve landed from ‘22-‘24 thus far. Which is why I assume this staff is trying to flip a truly elite QB recruit in silence because no top coach, including ours, would dare consider landing mid QB2 types in back-to-back classes as a viable strategy. We tried with Rashada and Noland but missed. Gotta keep fighting to land a headliner QB1.

Advertisement
Exactly. Which is a big part of why Gaby's premise of not wanting to rock the boat with Judd is nonsensical.

- Kirby at UGA has the #1 overall recruit in Dylan Raiola and a top 150 QB in Ryan Puglisi committed in the '24 class. They have three former blue-chip recruits fighting for the QB job this year. Smart certainly isn’t looking for just a game manager now that Stetson Bennett is gone.
- Saban at Bama landed 5* Ty Simpson in '22, top 100 QB Eli Holstein in '23, and has 5* QB Julian Sayin committed in the '24 class
- Dabo at Clemson signed 5* QB Cade Klubnik in '22 followed by top 100 QB Christopher Vizzina in '23
- Day at OSU beat us head-to-head for top 100 QB Air Noland in the ‘24 class. They have multiple former Top 50 overall recruits fighting for their QB job this year.
- Riley at USC brought the 5* QB he recruited to OU with him out west in Caleb Williams and then signed 5* Malachi Nelson in '23.

No serious program would feel remotely positive about where they stand relative to the CFB playoff mainstays they’re trying to compete against if they only landed the QB’s we’ve landed from ‘22-‘24 thus far. Which is why I assume this staff is trying to flip a truly elite QB recruit in silence because no top coach, including ours, would dare consider landing mid QB2 types in back-to-back classes as a viable strategy. We tried with Rashada and Noland but missed. Gotta keep fighting to land a headliner QB1.
All those teams put things on the scoreboard. They can recruit off recent reputation. Im certain Cristobal wants to recruit high level high school QBs and is trying to flip a player likely. When we put something on the field, it will be easier to sell. My point is, if we are going after this Jackson kid to go with Judd, f that. Take Judd and go portal to compete with JB and Emory. And i still believe in JB, whoever we bring in.

All those teams put things on the scoreboard. They can recruit off recent reputation. Im certain Cristobal wants to recruit high level high school QBs and is trying to flip a player likely. When we put something on the field, it will be easier to sell. My point is, if we are going after this Jackson kid to go with Judd, f that. Take Judd and go portal to compete with JB and Emory. And i still believe in JB, whoever we bring in.
You take Jackson because a larger pool has a higher likely hood of someone hitting. Also let’s be real whether or not we get Jackson will not affect whether or not we can actually land a good transfer QB. So what’s the down side of taking a second QB in this class?

We are gonna agree to disagree here. You have a way more optimistic outlook than I do. I believe our current QB situation after TVD at this time is rather anemic. Out of all the QBs I’m highest on Emory and I don’t see anything special there. JB struggles with throwing the ball and Judd is a mess with his mechanics. Lastly Thune wasn’t a solo Dawson effort. You do realize that Dana is the architect of that offense and specializes in QB coaching right? I’ve seen this mentioned by people all the time since we hired him. Dawson is solid but his best work was always under Dana.
Emory looked really good in the spring game to me.

Advertisement
Unless you can get a big time QB in this class I think I agree. The issue I see is that it is much easier to recruit WRs with a big time QB in the boat. The transfer they would get could be great but it won’t help much in attracting ‘24 receivers because it would be after ESD or right before. Even if Miami has something in Jacurri/Emory, there won’t be enough good tape out there of them for this years class unless something goes very wrong.

To be fair it hasn’t helped the gators much and Lagway has been committed for awhile now.

That Sayin kid looks incredible, im sure he is going to have alot of dragon ball z NIL sh. Jus sayin

Last edited:
Advertisement
My .02 is if we want a guy like Emory or Judd to win a championship, we have to recruit way better on the outside. OL and RB looks solid and the scheme is nice. Also will need to land majority of these DL targets. Much harder to win with a developmental QB but it’s possible. I don’t think we have the supporting cast for it yet, though

I agree with you that based on what we have the portal is the best route but it is risky and it underlines my frustrations there. We have dropped the ball QB recruiting wise. Whether you believe in JB or not the reality is that he was a project, Emory is a project and now Judd is a project. We need to do a better job recruiting QBs. Judd is so raw, his footwork is garbage and his stats are pedestrian. Not sure who we flip or find but we need to do better at QB recruiting and I’m not asking for the world here. If TVD is gone which he probably is after this year we are in a bad spot and nobody to blame but ourselves. JB looked horrible in the spring game and didn’t look good in 22, sure he has time but a roster that otherwise should be pretty **** good in 24 might get clipped before it takes off because of bad QB recruiting.
Not sure "project" is the word for Emory. From all comments he has looked very very good throwing the ball ... accuracy and can make all of the throws. Also have been comments that he has excellent vision ... sees the field and makes good decisions. That doesn't sound like "project" ... just a kid who will be QB#2 this season, and will hopefully get plenty of live fire reps in mop up to take that next step. Experience / seasoning is what it takes for a HS QB to take that next step. He could very well be ready and be the guy to start in August 2024 in The Swamp.

Not sure "project" is the word for Emory. From all comments he has looked very very good throwing the ball ... accuracy and can make all of the throws. Also have been comments that he has excellent vision ... sees the field and makes good decisions. That doesn't sound like "project" ... just a kid who will be QB#2 this season, and will hopefully get plenty of live fire reps in mop up to take that next step. Experience / seasoning is what it takes for a HS QB to take that next step. He could very well be ready and be the guy to start in August 2024 in The Swamp.
He is a project because he needs to catch up to the pace of the college game and doesn’t have elite tools. He ideas would need multiple years before he was ready to start. Unfortunately as you stated, I think he gets thrown into the fire next year. Hopefully he will be up to the test because if he is we should be a very good team in 24.

All I can say about JB is that while the entire team and coaching staff basically mailed it in last year, he came in and played his *** off and gave a dead offense a bit of a spark

That matters

Advertisement
Back