Official State Penn job as it relates to Golden Thread

Would You Be Upset If Al Left For Pedo State?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

found this interesting. Thanks for posting

TTM: A lot has been made of his close friendship with Mark D’Onofrio, his former Nittany Lions teammate who is his defensive coordinator. Miami’s defense had a bad season, and there are calls in Coral Gables that a change needs to be made. Is hiring Golden, in your mind, a “package deal” with D’Onofrio?

JD: This is where I think things could get interesting. I’m not saying it will be a sticking point that would ultimately kill a deal, because I think Al’s way too smart to let something like that hinder things, but I do think Al feels a bit conflicted about this and ultimately wants to see Mark land on his feet. I’d be shocked if Al didn’t have something to do with Mark getting a couple of interviews for the head coaching job at Temple last December before Matt Rhule ultimately got the job, and I think it’s fair to assume that Al wanted to see Mark either A. get his name out there for some positive ‘Hey, Mark D’Onofrio got a head coaching job interview’ press or B. get the job so he could avoid having to make a tough decision about his future down the line at Miami.

All of that, I think, is interesting considering former Temple AD Bill Bradshaw offered Mark the chance to be Al’s successor mere hours after Al announced he was leaving for Miami, but Al wholeheartedly convinced Mark to not take the job and follow him down to Miami.

But the numbers don’t lie, and Mark’s defenses have come under some deserved scrutiny at Miami. After being ranked 17th nationally in scoring defense in 2011 (at 20.1 points per game), the Hurricanes got worse. They were 83rd nationally in 2012 (30.5 ppg.) and 66th in the nation this past season (26.8 ppg.), and there was an ugly, three-game stretch this season when Miami, at a time when it really had a chance to prove itself, gave up 131 points and 1,609 yards on third down in losses to Florida State, Virginia Tech and Duke, and the Canes gave up an average of nearly 44 points a game in that three-game losing streak.

You forgot this part, maybe just as important

JD: "I do, and I think he’s going to have to come to the realization (if he hasn’t already) that Mark can’t be his defensive coordinator at Penn State."

Could be a sticking point/delay in negotiations and/or an announcement because he has to find his buddy a landing spot.

[video=youtube;Z_u7VGiMO0U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_u7VGiMO0U[/video]

Advertisement
As a follow up....I think Bama is going to change offensive philosophy very soon to a more read option style.

Sabans defense can't stop the spread read option teams like Auburn, Oklahoma or Texas A & M. He needs to outscore them.

Maybe I'm missing something but nothing about Chud screams out that he would love to recruit in the mud that is South Florida. Say what you want about Golden but he was a relentless recruiter. Saban, Fisher, Urban, all love recruiting, I don't see Chud fitting in with that.

Assistants do most of the recruiting. Look at Bobby Bowden for years. With Coley and a new DC that can recruit, we will be ok.
That approach works fine for established figureheads like Bowden and Paterno. I'm not sure that a first time CFB head coach can get away with it. Kids and their parents want to know who they are committing to.

Maybe I'm missing something but nothing about Chud screams out that he would love to recruit in the mud that is South Florida. Say what you want about Golden but he was a relentless recruiter. Saban, Fisher, Urban, all love recruiting, I don't see Chud fitting in with that.

Assistants do most of the recruiting. Look at Bobby Bowden for years. With Coley and a new DC that can recruit, we will be ok.
That approach works fine for established figureheads like Bowden and Paterno. I'm not sure that a first time CFB head coach can get away with it. Kids and their parents want to know who they are committing to.

Exactly, we cant afford to have a new HC so needs to "learn" recruiting, not while this class and the 2015 class will be so vital to success. In some ways that makes Butch and even Cristobal (don't laugh) better candidates.

Advertisement
You guys think they're totally gayballs for each other?

Really hope they go to penn state if that's the case.. we don't need another scandal. Penn state is more prepared to handle a situation like this.

/ Dorito is touching Golden in the locker room showers

This site keeps trying for a new low.

You haven't seen anything yet....just wait and see what this place, and the Cane community in general, will be like if Golden ends up coming back WITH Onfrio.

Absolute nightmare. It would be a horrible time to be a Canes fan again. I remember being somewhat "happy" when we lost to USF knowing it had sealed Shannon's doom..but immediately afterwards feeling horrible cause I was rooting against my Canes.

I don't want those days again. This **** needs to end and Golden needs to go away with his fat *** no talent DC.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hard to believe at this point golden is just waiting for ped u to tell him if they want him. In the meantime while they do their due dilligance and interview the other guys we are forced to wait and suffer.

Fu*k alverage golden. This is so aggravating... Something needs to transpire today.... I dont think I cant accept al golden back after these antics. The only way is if he fires Donofrio..,..

As soon as it becomes official, we should all go congratulate Penn St fans and thank them for saving us from 3 more years of mediocracy and excuses.

Advertisement
As soon as it becomes official, we should all go congratulate Penn St fans and thank them for saving us from 3 more years of mediocracy and excuses.

Should they thank us for lying to al and forcing him to recruit players with one hand tied behind his back??? I have to laugh at some of the Internet tough guys demanding all kinds of stuff.

There are going to be two sides to this story. One is going to be from the canes insight crazies with their absurd expectations and the other is going to be everyone else that says golden got screwed here and he is a great coach etc. etc.

Now some of the reasonable ones among us will know that the truth lies somewhere in between. Golden probably isn't the greatest coach but he wasn't exactly given a fair situation to deal with.

For the record I will actually be happy to move on from this with our without him. There will be advantages if he stays and advantages if he goes in my view.

Last edited:

I was at a get together yesterday that had 3 Penn State alumni and essentially told them that.

Franklin gets his interview today, we will see what happens. As for Al returning to UM, think about the mess this is among the team and recruits. There was already a mini revolt against him in the community from what I've read on this site and others, that just intensified 20 fold. I have lost respect for him now and not sure if it can ever be fixed. A start would be to ax the Dcord today!

Advertisement

Should they thank us for lying to al and forcing him to recruit players with one hand tied behind his back??? I have to laugh at some of you Internet tough guys.

There are going to be two sides to this story. One is going to be from the canes insight crazies with their absurd expectations and the other is going to be everyone else that says golden got screwed here and he is a great coach etc. etc.

Now some of the reasonable ones among us will know that the truth lies somewhere in between. Golden probably isn't the greatest coach but he wasn't exactly given a fair situation to deal with.

For the record I will actually be happy to move on from this with our without him. There will be advantages if he stays and advantages if he goes in my view.

Its our ME NOW society wanting constant change, even Bama fans want Saban gone after the last two games....Was AL the best choice for Miami NO...but he came fixed a few things and has us better than we were in 2010...I like AL and want him to stay but his staff needs cleaned up and I feel he will not do that at this stage..
Ny guess right now..Al is our 2014 coach and the staff stays intact and we have a great recruiting class and a few posters will explode in every loss or close win....we shall see....either way I am a cane and will support the team

Should they thank us for lying to al and forcing him to recruit players with one hand tied behind his back??? I have to laugh at some of you Internet tough guys.

I laugh at idiots like you who take this **** so serious that your first line of response is to call someone you don't know an internet tough guy, because they want to do something innocent in jest, only to make yourself look righteous.

There aren't two sides, he chose to stay, accepted a raise and extension after he was supposedly lied to. He then preached how this was a destination job and he had to "finish" what he started and now he is holding the program hostage. He is reaping what he sowed.

It is only my opinion that Penn St fans should be thanked for taking him out of our hands, nothing more and nothing less. The going to their board and thanking them was suggested to be done in jest. Our program will move on and probably come out better in the long run, as all I've seen is a "water down product" on the field. No need to get your panties wadded over what one fan thinks or wants to do.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back