Official NCAAT Game 1 vs Drake thread!

Advertisement
So the game Sunday is at 840pm. That kind of blows. But it is what it is. Just gotta wait allllll day Sunday and go to work a little more tired than usual lol

Been following IU basketball since I was a student there 15 years ago (christ I'm old). They have been incredibly inconsistent this season, albeit, in what was the best conference in America.

They're not overly deep and won't hurt you from 3 like Drake does, but the TJD and Hood-Schifino matchups are going to be dicey, especially with Omier not being at 100% and Pack being a below average defender/giving up size.

I'd personally give Miller the TJD assignment and have Omier start on Race Thompson, as the latter isn't nearly as quick or athletic but can still step out and make shots.
You lost me when you said the Big 10 is the best conference in America this year. The Big 12 was the best conference and it's really not close.

Advertisement
It appeared that Drake's defense was designed to stop Wong and Miller and let the other players try and beat them.
Good strategy and it worked. They also negated Omier's spin move in the paint, too. If their top guy hadn't gone 1-13 from the floor, they likely woulda won.

Been following IU basketball since I was a student there 15 years ago (christ I'm old). They have been incredibly inconsistent this season, albeit, in what was the best conference in America.

They're not overly deep and won't hurt you from 3 like Drake does, but the TJD and Hood-Schifino matchups are going to bonferee dicey, especially with Omier not being at 100% and Pack being a below average defender/giving up size.

I'd personally give Miller the TJD assignment and have Omier start on Race Thompson, as the latter isn't nearly as quick or athletic but can still step out and make shots.

Big 10 is the best conference? Right now it is:

Big East - 4-1
Big 12 - 6-2
SEC - 6-2
ACC - 4-2
Big 10 - 4-3

The best conference better pick it up.

Advertisement
Is Anthony walker ever going to give us anything valuable. His size is needed for sure but he is practically not even in the lineup

I love L so much

Holy ****, what is Paul Snyder from the Montauk Sun doing there and how did he get a question in (the last one)???

For those that don't know Montauk is a small resort town and fishing village at the very eastern tip of Long Island. The Montauk Sun is a tiny local monthly newspaper. Snyder writes about bad HS basketball a few times a year lol. Most likely for free. Probably used his column to get a press pass and go see some free basketball on his own dime. And ask a question lol. My kind of hustle.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

What does that have to do with what we were talking about?
Seriously lol? Did you not respond and try to downplay Miami bball winning the ACC as a meh regular season accolade? So I'm reminding you the football program doesn't have any accolades over the last 2 decades...And last i checked we were comparing miami football and basketball coaches...

Advertisement
L

Agree with all of that. The D ( minus the perimeter) , rebounding , coaching and let’s be honest Drake melting down a little at the end is what won the game.

If we’re being honest , our defense melted Drake down more than a little. The press L installed with under 5 minutes left was the Canes best defensive sequence of the season and something we hadn’t seen all year. This team is special and can beat any team a number of ways.

It’s ok to give credit where credit is due.

No need to make it seem like the team we beat lost the game because they came unglued and that’s the only reason why we won. The woulda shoulda coulda narrative doesn’t hold weight in a one and tournament like this.

Win and advance! That’s all that matters!

Monday morning QBing the team and the coach isn’t a good look after a W in NCAA Tourney.

Ehhhhh…. I mean I’m with you… the game at this level is so much more complex than most people can begin to comprehend… but that basically tracks the margin of defeat (-2 differential) and is a way different situation than Walker’s.

I think you would have to admit that Walker is incredibly, incredibly limited. He offers very little of value offensively and he finds himself in no-man’s land way, way, way too often offensively AND defensively.

Agreed. Walker is limited. I’m sure if I read the rest of the thread at one point some would be firing Coach L, packing Miller and Wong’s bags and asking Ruiz to rescind Pack and Omier’s NIL deals…

And it all comes from the same place - which is posters’ need to feel they are right about something - “I’ve been saying all year…”

Yet there are zero perfect brackets left, so maybe March is indeed Madness and we should enjoy the run…

Advertisement
LOL to all the haters that were so sure Drake was going to win this one as soon as this match up was announced
Not haters. Just knowledgable and probably knew Drake was a good team and tough draw. iMO you saw 7 vs 10, 8 vs 9 seeds where you knew they weren’t as good as Drake. That’s all.

I had the U as did my kid in all our brackets and usually there are 12 vs 5 upsets and when there weren’t we were like oh chit…

Nice win and hopefully we leave people thinking ACC may be down but when we beat Indiana they realize Big10 really down.

If we’re being honest , our defense melted Drake down more than a little. The press L installed with under 5 minutes left was the Canes best defensive sequence of the season and something we hadn’t seen all year. This team is special and can beat any team a number of ways.

It’s ok to give credit where credit is due.

No need to make it seem like the team we beat lost the game because they came unglued and that’s the only reason why we won. The woulda shoulda coulda narrative doesn’t hold weight in a one and tournament like this.

Win and advance! That’s all that matters!

Monday morning QBing the team and the coach isn’t a good look after a W in NCAA Tourney.
Sometimes it’s both, which is how the pressure of one and done works. I mean If you don’t think Drake crumbled some under the pressure late we just won’t agree. Which is cool. I personally don’t give a crap if they did choke some because a win is a win and we survived. I won’t apologize for moving on just like FSU won’t apologize for our bed wetting. To let something like that bother you is just odd. We made every clutch play late and Drake didn’t handle that pressure as well.

Last edited:
The ACC won the challenge with the Big 10 lest we forget.

Im not scared of Indiana one iota. If anything that worries me when you play basketball blue bloods is do they get the bang bang calls? Do refs tend to slide their direction. If it's a close game, it matters. Maybe I have PTSD from playing road games in Tobacco Road in conference play. Would it surprise me though if Norchad gets 2 cheapies early on the Indiana big men that sends him to bench early,? No

Other than that the closest team to Miami from an offensive perspective in BiG 10 is Iowa, they averaged nearly identical PPG right around that 80 PPG mark.

Iowa scored 91 and 90 and beat Indiana both times they played this year.

His game is strictly 16 feet and in. Not gonna see him jack 3's. Gonna have to keep him from attacking the gaps and out of the lane. Would like to see us front him too. Thought we were too passive in letting Drake's big catch the ball. It almost cost us the game tonight. That guy may have had a season high tonight.
I’ve watched a lot of IU this year, I’d say 16 feet is generous. 90% of his points are inside the restricted arc it seems.

Advertisement
Back