Official NCAAT Game 1 vs Drake thread!

Would like to see us play that full court pressure d when we can and set up transition offense off our d. It’s all about 23. He looks like he will turn the ball over when he’s not snatching souls otherwise. We can’t get into a half court game with them

Advertisement
Is there anything to this? Our best players aside from (Omier)under the basket are seemingly Miller and Wong (at least all-ACC voters think so.) Each team we play has a variety of defenders with different skill sets and a couple might be considered their "top defenders". I assume for 1-v-1 and such they are glued to Miller and Wong.

Isn't this gonna make Miller and Wong's job harder, and their performance seem less awesome, especially if they are a bit "off". And at the same time make P & P get better (or more) shots and less pressure and (if not missing the side of the barn) look like they are carrying the team; I wonder if TEAM applause is due?
I think Pack has shown throughout the season especially tonight that in any given game he can be our best player. Poplar is also showing vast improvement and when he's on we're going to be a tough out for any team. Wong won ACC POY because of the team's success and he's got name recognition. That award could've easily been had by Miller and/or Omier if the voters were paying attention. But because we're Miami, those guys only watch us when we're playing against the blue bloods or in post season play

Dude, they are a less athletic Duke. In other words, a superstar and a bunch of okay guys, with a secondary scorer that can get his. If you were to take off the Indiana jerseys, and say it was a school like TAMU, our fans wouldn't be wetting themselves. Kent State was able to get where they wanted to go all night, they just can't make a layup. Indiana is a solid team, they have a superstar, but they aren't the second coming of 1990 UNLV.
“Indiana is the second coming of 1990 UNLV” is not a phrase uttered by me, so I’m not sure who you’re responding to.

They are a sound, efficient O with one of the most dynamic bigs in the country. It’s not wetting myself to acknowledge that.

Been following IU basketball since I was a student there 15 years ago (christ I'm old). They have been incredibly inconsistent this season, albeit, in what was the best conference in America.

They're not overly deep and won't hurt you from 3 like Drake does, but the TJD and Hood-Schifino matchups are going to be dicey, especially with Omier not being at 100% and Pack being a below average defender/giving up size.

I'd personally give Miller the TJD assignment and have Omier start on Race Thompson, as the latter isn't nearly as quick or athletic but can still step out and make shots.

“Indiana is the second coming of 1990 UNLV” is not a phrase uttered by me, so I’m not sure who you’re responding to.

They are a sound, efficient O with one of the most dynamic bigs in the country. It’s not wetting myself to acknowledge that.
They are an efficient O that can't stop a nosebleed. I've watched a fair number of IU games this year, they struggle with speed, the one thing that Miami has in abundance. Miami has to run them, if it turns into a rock fight, Miami is at a disadvantage. If it's a track meet, Miami stands a shot.

Advertisement
Been following IU basketball since I was a student there 15 years ago (christ I'm old). They have been incredibly inconsistent this season, albeit, in what was the best conference in America.

They're not overly deep and won't hurt you from 3 like Drake does, but the TJD and Hood-Schifino matchups are going to be dicey, especially with Omier not being at 100% and Pack being a below average defender/giving up size.

I'd personally give Miller the TJD assignment and have Omier start on Race Thompson, as the latter isn't nearly as quick or athletic but can still step out and make shots.
If you're old, what am I? I was coaching AAU games at Assembly Hall 15 years ago. LOL!

Omier looked healthy out there

We were wayyyyyy too jazzed up and never settled in, the whole game, until about 5 left.

Poplar is a stud

Pack is a stone cold killa

Coach L knows how to win

They covered the spread somehow

This team does not fear Indiana

Can’t wait for Sunday!

I stand by that statement . But we won. The perimeter d was atrocious and I’ll call L out on Walker until he‘s packed his uhaul after graduating.

You’re the same guy that was bashing L last year and calling for his head while declaring that the squad that made it all the way to the Elite 8 , was nothing more than an average rec league team early last season. Your words not mine. Good luck with the L bashing campaign cause that ish ain’t gonna work around here!

All you people crying I want you to understand that team is older than 5 nba teams starting lineups and our best scorer had maybe his worst game. Stop with the negativity, we didn’t play well but I haven’t seen a comeback like that all tournament. ENJOY THIS ONE. We found a way to win and we move on.
L said after the game that Drake was the best defensive team we played all season. Man, I’m loving this team! Drake was 13-1 heading into the tourney and one of the hottest teams in the country and we still found a way to win with our backs up against the wall with less than 5 to play. L dialed up the press beautifully and because of it, we won the game. This team is battle tested like no other team in the country. If you’ve been following this squad this year, games like this are nothing new. Just win baby!! This was such a huge win and I almost can’t believe people are on here being negative after such an incredible W! But then I’m reminded that message board clout is a **** of a drug. Some of these cats can’t stop chasing that clout. Even if it means finding ways to criticize L and the players after a NCAA tournament win!

Advertisement
I don’t think they “deserve to lose”. That’s just a **** statement. I don’t care how strong your football contributions are.
Shooting in the 20’s in the first half , two of your best players going 3-17,playing atrocious perimeter d on a good shooting team and turning it over left and right is deserving to lose. Plenty of teams win that deserved to lose. We laid a huge **** last night for 37 minutes but played a great last three minutes while Drake peed down their leg. I’m glad we won but we were very fortunate with such a bad performance.

It’s just honesty. We won and luckily we can’t play worse but they were very fortunate to win with such a horrendous performance. That was easily their worst game of the year. I’m just amazed that’s considered a **** comment or even controversial. They did show balls and toughness late.

Last edited:
The Drake dude that dominated down low was -9…

Everyone here needs to stop acting like they know basketball metrics just to **** on our players…

Stick to acting like you know football and greentree all Americans …

Ehhhhh…. I mean I’m with you… the game at this level is so much more complex than most people can begin to comprehend… but that basically tracks the margin of defeat (-2 differential) and is a way different situation than Walker’s.

I think you would have to admit that Walker is incredibly, incredibly limited. He offers very little of value offensively and he finds himself in no-man’s land way, way, way too often offensively AND defensively.

Advertisement
Shooting in the 20’s in the first half , two of your best players going 3-17,playing atrocious perimeter d on a good shooting team and turning it over left and right is deserving to lose. Plenty of teams win that deserved to lose. We laid a huge **** last night for 37 minutes but played a great last three minutes while Drake peed down their leg. I’m glad we won but we were very fortunate with such a bad performance.

It’s just honesty. We won and luckily we can’t play worse but they were very fortunate to win with such a horrendous performance. That was easily their worst game of the year. I’m just amazed that’s considered a sick comment or even controversial.

The defensive effort and intensity was exceptional. Rebounding was very good.

Rough night (really rough for Wong and Miller, Omier had some struggles but Pack and Poplar were very good and kept us in the game) offensively, sure… but sometimes the shots don’t fall.

To get a win when it feels like the rims are made of cast iron is HUGE for an offensive oriented team.

Incredible coaching, incredible toughness and grit and determination to overcome a bad shooting night that would have ended the season for most teams.

L
The defensive effort and intensity was exceptional. Rebounding was very good.

Rough night (really rough for Wong and Miller, Omier had some struggles but Pack and Poplar were very good and kept us in the game) offensively, sure… but sometimes the shots don’t fall.

To get a win when it feels like the rims are made of cast iron is HUGE for an offensive oriented team.

Incredible coaching, incredible toughness and grit and determination to overcome a bad shooting night that would have ended the season for most teams.
Agree with all of that. The D ( minus the perimeter) , rebounding , coaching and let’s be honest Drake melting down a little at the end is what won the game. I’m just glad we survived and advanced after playing easily our worst game of the year. I don’t see Miller and Wong playing that bad again. That said , if N.O doesn’t play we 100 percent lose going away. His prescience in the paint and on the boards was huge. We get devoured without him. So props to him even if his offensive stats look bad.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You’re the same guy that was bashing L last year and calling for his head while declaring that the squad that made it all the way to the Elite 8 , was nothing more than an average rec league team early last season. Your words not mine. Good luck with the L bashing campaign cause that ish ain’t gonna work around here!
I never once said “ fire coach L”, not one time since he’s been here. That’s just dishonest. Yes I complained about the offense being too much high screen and go make a play. It relies too much on guys being tough shot makers. I still think that but thankfully we have a few tough shot makers. I did agree with those saying if last year had been a bad year the seat could warm up. That was more in response to those using the cloud as an excuse for the previous 2-3 years , my point was there was other programs dealing with clouds. Miami wasn’t the only school involved in that mess. Those posts are still up and haven’t been deleted. That’s the context and I stand by that.

Lastly you act like I was ripping him last night but fact is I haven’t “ bashed him“ since the posts you’re referencing over a year ago. I was on here defending him multiple times this year , last being after the fsu loss when some posters was trying to put that L on him. Just like tonight if we’d lost that wasn’t on coaching. Not once did I say coaching is why this performance was so bad. Three of our best four players had awful games, on the same night.

If me questioning him on playing Walker is considered bashing maybe you need to take a break from message boards. That’s more than a fair question and far from bashing.

Last edited:
Now this team is getting focused, I was scared at the start .
Coach L was working to break the grip of missed shots, I would love to ask what he did at halftime.
This team loves L he’s had there best interest at heart they listen to him I watch there eyes.

No we raise our game to elite level everything from now on is the BEST of the BEST.

We got the BEST coach in college basketball and L tells his team

“ YOU BELONG HERE “ LISTEN BELIEVE IT

YOU GOT A SHOT A SOMETHING SPECIAL.

From here on in we are BATTLE READY 🙌🙌🙌

GOCANES

This team gets in cement when they start dribbling the leather off the ball and that’s what L was complaining about when he was interviewed on the sideline. It was standing around and watching one guy go one on one. When the ball starts moving things suddenly look better. They’re a good defenses but playing d is easier when one guy is going 1 v1 and the other four defenders are watching him. The first half we played into their hands. He obviously got the point across at the half.
YES , L worked hard to break that type of play ( snare) we were in being drawn into there game I’m not a BB guy and saw it .
Great point how L communicated this at the same time keeping there effort high .

It was like our kids were crying for help they were missing yet L knew it was a sensitive juncture to keep there intensity high and not hit them with cold water .

Cribby , do you get what I’m trying to convey 🥵again BB is totally different then CFB my specialty .

Anyway we are in this thing now .

Question:

Tell me about Indiana any input on how we match up ?
GOCANES

Advertisement
Back