Offensive Player Evaluations

blackvern

All-ACC
Banned
After rewatching the game while my family went to church

Kaaya- Had a good feel for the rush yesterday, he had a good game yesterday but it shouldve been great...he still missed about 5 wide open throws that he needs to connect to separate himself from good to great. He underthrew some deep balls and a few of his throws were late.. at times he looks like he is aiming instead of throwing. Does not have touch for the jump ball or fade throw but His biggest weakness is he cannot throw on the run. HE continually overthrows wide open recievers on the run. 60% completion rate should have been 65% B

Yearby- Was carrying defenders out there and breaking tackles....17 carries for 125..Turning 1 yard losses into 6 yard gains.. Hands are incredible... by far the best player on our team... He is a much better player than last year..The sweight gain has done him wonders. I dont wanna hear anything about how he shouldnt have been fattened up because it has done him wonders.. In pass protection he picked up a couple of blitzes that made you go Wow..hes been doing this all year...Lets hope he stays healthy A+

Walton- He is a much better reciever then runner...10 carries 23 yards was kkinda disappointing although we see how could he can be out of the backfield he is not an elite runner. WE will miss Gus .. His goal line runs he didnt use instincts he just put his head down..he should have scored on one of those, what makes me feel better is that Scarlett is getting out played by Cronkite and didnt see the field against Kentucky. C

Scott our best most consistent WR not the fastest but gets separation A-

Waters
suprised me had a pretty good game. HEs not an NFL player but Hes out of JAG status for this weekB

Brady I need to see more of him But a good a start to his career A

Lewis- didnt even see him on the field.. DOnt knoe what happened to him

Coley- our most explosive WR is the most soft..I wouldnt be suprised if he didnt tear his ACL on that last KR he was suppose to house that D

Tight Ends- If DObard isnt a great blocker there is no need for him...Njoku and Herndon are better receivers B

James Coley-After rewatching the game ..Love the fast paced offense, He made some great calls today..he made some bad calls..he just got a little carried away there towards the end..the thrid and inches run call wasnt on him that was a golden special. We have a clear problem here... Golden wants to be conservative Coley wants to be agressive we need to choose one and go with it.. I personally like Coleys agressive play calling... Penalties killed his game plan. I have no problem with Coley I really dont... I honestly think we should have keep spreading them out..We finally have an identity and thats most important than anything

Advertisement
Walton should be higher because he had plays taken back not on him. Jury is still out on the identity of the team. It's far from solid, imo

Too harsh on Walton after this game. 2 tds called back on questionable calls. Showed great speed.

Advertisement
I don't have a huge problem with him not throwing well on the run. The guy is a statue and usually, guys like that are not comfortable running and throwing. I like his movement in the pocket, though - nice pocket awareness

I think the Walton grade is unfair but I will give him a B as a few calls could have changed his stats bigtime. Scott needs to get an A+ for seperation, effort ,and making plays. My assesment of Kaaya is much lower with a C. He missed several open receivers including 4 TD's. The fact that he was snapping the ball with 10-15 seconds to go on the clock in the 4th and end of the 3rd quarters is not only troublesome but a good way to blow a lead. (which we did) I wonder why Coley did nothing to milk the clock but then again his intellectual prowess and football acumen is low. Where was Chocolate? In my mind he has a big time upside. If he is fumbling in practice then it's the coaches job to teach him the fundamentals. Does that take over a season and a half?

Advertisement
One thing that really impressed me was te blocking downfield by the receivers. Coley had a great block in the 1st half on a long pass and Scott had a couple that I recall.
These can be forgotten sometimes, but credit the coaches for that. yeah, I went there.

Agreed on Dobard - great blocker but not the best option as an offensive weapon. Njoku/Herndon need more playing time.

I was incredibly annoyed that they used Cager inside the redzone ONLY as a decoy. Yes he's young, but he's 6'5" and has great hands. I was yelling for a fade route multiple times and the only time I saw one was an INT that was supposed to go to Dobard.

Walton should definitely be a B. Two touchdowns called back, one of which was a really bad call. He missed one really big play where he took the wrong running lane and the other side of the line was open pasture - a 35 yd TD turned into a 2 yd gain.

Advertisement
"Kaaya- Had a good feel for the rush yesterday, he had a good game yesterday but it shouldve been great...he still missed about 5 wide open throws that he needs to connect to separate himself from good to great. He underthrew some deep balls and a few of his throws were late.. at times he looks like he is aiming instead of throwing. Does not have touch for the jump ball or fade throw but His biggest weakness is he cannot throw on the run. HE continually overthrows wide open recievers on the run. 60% completion rate should have been 65% B"

He is a pocket passer. Why change him. We should be happy to have one and not a QB who can ONLY throw on the run like most mobile QBs. Pocket passer is as much Miami DNA as fast aggressive defense. It is who we are and has brought 5NC and as many loss NC games. A lot of WRs open up the last second if QB is there watching. Let's not give this kid happy feet. I do agree it looked like he was aiming sometimes.

Kaaya is a cheeseburger. Said so himself.

"Be like a cheeseburger," says Fraulden The Nincompoop.

Yearby has me happily eating crow. He's been much better than I thought he'd be. Totally agree with Vern that the added weight and ability to break tackles is a huge addition to his game.

Every game I say "this is the game where Coley breaks out". Every game I get disappointed. I can't remember a free fall like this from such a talented player. Sam Shields is the closest I can remember.

Advertisement
speaking about him throwing on the run if he didn't over throw yearby on the 3rd drive the game would have ended right then and there, he made another throw much better later on in the game so he has that ability

Advertisement
Back