Offensive Playbook

I do wonder if this will happen.

Offenses because faster and more spread out to take advantage of slower, bigger defenses
Defenses became faster, and smaller, to keep up with faster offenses.

At some point the pendulum is likely to shift and offenses will become bigger to take advantage of smaller defensive players. And in turn, defenses will be some bigger and likely slower.
Some offensive coach will figure this out and the pendulum will start to shift back. Such are the adjustments in sports.
Nothing is forever.
It was something that gus mahlzan wrote in his book while he was still coaching in high school.. some of the benefit of what they were doin is because it was something most defenses never saw or how much time do u devote to one team running a "gimmick" offense that some coaches with hubris didn't respect even.

When half your conference is running it then u can devote more time, coaches devise better schemes, u can recruit to defend and players see it more week to week so get more of a feel for it.. Since the spread revolution in mid 00s has dominated from high school, to college to NFL.. even though best QB in leage is a air raid product in an offense that fits him we still have post on CIS dreaming of I formation. We are last team to join the revolution 20 years later and defenses are better to defend, lol.. of course!

Saw this video couple weeks back, I doubt pendulum swings all the way back but watching dolphins and obviously the concepts come from 9ers, u see how they use the position. Also talks about positionless football and how rams use a big wr to play position and gain advantage on nickel defense.. makes u wonder as Mario has had both rams and dolphins coach at his camps and that undersized te we recruited from Vegas and what his role could be in future..

Advertisement
It was something that gus mahlzan wrote in his book while he was still coaching in high school.. some of the benefit of what they were doin is because it was something most defenses never saw or how much time do u devote to one team running a "gimmick" offense that some coaches with hubris didn't respect even.

When half your conference is running it then u can devote more time, coaches devise better schemes, u can recruit to defend and players see it more week to week so get more of a feel for it.. Since the spread revolution in mid 00s has dominated from high school, to college to NFL.. even though best QB in leage is a air raid product in an offense that fits him we still have post on CIS dreaming of I formation. We are last team to join the revolution 20 years later and defenses are better to defend, lol.. of course!

Saw this video couple weeks back, I doubt pendulum swings all the way back but watching dolphins and obviously the concepts come from 9ers, u see how they use the position. Also talks about positionless football and how rams use a big wr to play position and gain advantage on nickel defense.. makes u wonder as Mario has had both rams and dolphins coach at his camps and that undersized te we recruited from Vegas and what his role could be in future..

Harbaugh does some of this at Michigan with 2 and 3 TE sets. He is basically trying to gain an advantage against the nickel defender in the running game.

The 49ers are a great point because they love using Kyle Jus…… in their base offense. I agree that we will never go all the way back, just as we have not gone back to the wishbone or option, but that smart coaches will always look to create a mismatch. Brian Kelly did this to us at ND when he forced our nickel back to deal with their TE in the running game, and beat us.

I think the best offense in football (and basketball) is the one that finds the greatest weakness the defense has and explains that weakness. I don’t care what you call that offense.
As someone who coached basketball our goal was to run on the big teams, or slow the game and pound the smaller teams on the offensive boards. Bad or limited guard play meant we pressed you. Bad shooting meant we played a zone and forced you to shoot from outside. Yes we had an identity but our individual game planning was to take away what you do best, and force you to do what you hate to do.

Thats what you think... we would go crazy in a I formation
Season 9 Smh GIF by The Office

Offenses because faster and more spread out to take advantage of slower, bigger defenses

At some point the pendulum is likely to shift and offenses will become bigger to take advantage of smaller defensive players. And in turn, defenses will be some bigger and likely slower.
Some offensive coach will figure this out and the pendulum will start to shift back. Such are the adjustments in sports.
Nothing is forever.

That play is the reason why defenses are comfortable keeping smaller guys on the field. If anything, the NT position as a stopgap in the middle gets more important.

Advertisement

Nothing is forever.
They don’t run a traditional I formation offense but what Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers are doing with their run game and play action is similar.

Advertisement

At some point the pendulum is likely to shift and offenses will become bigger to take advantage of smaller defensive players. And in turn, defenses will become bigger and likely slower.
Nothing is forever.
It already happening

Its back with way more athletic TEs tho. More teams in the nfl are moving towards heavy personnel, the chiefs led the league with it and produced a better offense after they traded arguably the best wr in football. Georgia did it with bowers and Washington, two mfs who can block like tackles but also run and create separation (especially bowers).

The counter the I formation and all that stuff back then was single high safety, stack the box on early downs so u can stop the run. For example like how seattle did it with the lob.

Teams counters that with throwing way more on early downs vs a base defense, so now u have guys u dont want covering dropping back. Easy 1on1s with dominant receivers, spread formations and concepts to break the rules of your defense.

To combat that fangio brung back something from back then with having 2 high safeties with your base defenses so u can stop the pass with disguising your coverages and then u use different alignments on your dline to stop the run. Also what the rams did in 2020 with staley a fangio disciple, more dbs on the field while stopping the run very well by controlling the b-gap. See how belichick used fangio gameplan to stifle the rams with mcvay

So to combat that, teams are getting athletic TEs and FBs to go back to heavy personnel so now again u can run the ball with power run schemes, guards pulling taking advantage of u having less people in the box. And then play action off of that. Or now if u bring another guy into the box we can create one on ones, we can have max protection with crossers, cause confusion with motions etc.

Like u said football is gonna keep shifting, an adjustment will always come

That play is the reason why defenses are comfortable keeping smaller guys on the field. If anything, the NT position as a stopgap in the middle gets more important.

Man Dugger is a beast. I’m a Phins fan but that was great scouting by the Pats. He’s a D2 guy who they took in the 2nd round; freaky athlete.

Man Dugger is a beast. I’m a Phins fan but that was great scouting by the Pats. He’s a D2 guy who they took in the 2nd round; freaky athlete.
Dude is unreal. First season, second game, blitzed, threw the G back about six yards and sacked the QB.

Bill is gonna give him the bag.

Advertisement
The spread wasn’t designed so much to take advantage of speed mismatches, you could always sub a nickel and dime defenders. It was to take advantage of how big a field is and to force the defense to defend a large chunk of it instead of a small “box” where a majority of the offensive players were in older offenses. Defenses are trying to counter it with more position versatility but I wouldn’t necessarily say they’re just going smaller at any position besides one linebacker spot that’s been converted to a hybrid position. If anything corners are bigger than they’ve ever been because they HAVE to play physical now.

The offensive response to position versatility on defense is the same. Just bringing in a bunch of slower, heavier guys isn’t going to matter because the defense can just swap their nickel “hybrid” guy for a traditional linebacker and you’re right back to 1992. Offenses need to use versatile players at TE, Hback and even WR who can be speed mismatches against linebackers but size mismatches against safeties. Just saying “we’re going to catch them off guard by running right at them with heavy personnel” is easier said than done.

It already happening

Its back with way more athletic TEs tho. More teams in the nfl are moving towards heavy personnel, the chiefs led the league with it and produced a better offense after they traded arguably the best wr in football. Georgia did it with bowers and Washington, two mfs who can block like tackles but also run and create separation (especially bowers).

The counter the I formation and all that stuff back then was single high safety, stack the box on early downs so u can stop the run. For example like how seattle did it with the lob.

Teams counters that with throwing way more on early downs vs a base defense, so now u have guys u dont want covering dropping back. Easy 1on1s with dominant receivers, spread formations and concepts to break the rules of your defense.

To combat that fangio brung back something from back then with having 2 high safeties with your base defenses so u can stop the pass with disguising your coverages and then u use different alignments on your dline to stop the run. Also what the rams did in 2020 with staley a fangio disciple, more dbs on the field while stopping the run very well by controlling the b-gap. See how belichick used fangio gameplan to stifle the rams with mcvay

So to combat that, teams are getting athletic TEs and FBs to go back to heavy personnel so now again u can run the ball with power run schemes, guards pulling taking advantage of u having less people in the box. And then play action off of that. Or now if u bring another guy into the box we can create one on ones, we can have max protection with crossers, cause confusion with motions etc.

Like u said football is gonna keep shifting, an adjustment will always come
I think belichek pulled out a 6-1 box to stop wide zone which is crazy

Advertisement
Just watching Dorsey and the boys play back then and looking at all the highlights ..The DAMAGE we did to teams running and throwing in an I formation sheesh!

praying we incorporate that into this years playbook
Yeah it was great.....in 1999 and 2000.
Now it would literally be playing with one hand tied behind your back.

Yep, he pulled it from when fangio with the bears played the rams earlier that year. Tweaked some stuff but essentially the same stuff.
Now i gotta go back watch the film. i thought he just pulled that out his ***.

dont know why you think we wouldnt excel running a few of these plays per game

Because you can still run those plays with different personel that makes you more dynamic and allows you to play in space better.
What creates more favorable match ups a FB or another WR? A FB or a TE? What creates better numbers in the box a FB or another WR?

Advertisement
Back