Offensive Line woes- 247 Pod

canesmh18

Recruit
Banned
Good pod as usual with those guys.

Ivins spent a lot of time griping and was absolutely befuddled by our OL recruiting.

22 offensive lineman will play P5 football from tri county area 2018-2020.

Miami signed only 1 of them (Scaife) - only seriously offered and recruited 4-5 out of the 22 as well. The 15+ others hardly heard from the staff per Ivins.

Advertisement
Listened and I agree with them that Miami has been too picky with their O-Line recruiting and should just start volume shooting. We need to go earlier at guys like Mincey, Martinez and Denis. If P5 schools with much better offensive line play recently than Miami thought they were takes relatively early on in the cycle, what were we doing?

Good pod as usual with those guys.

Ivins spent a lot of time griping and was absolutely befuddled by our OL recruiting.

Miami signed only 1 of them (Scaife) - only seriously offered and recruited 4-5 out of the 22 as well. The 15+ others hardly heard from the staff per Ivins.

I'm not defending the staff but that quote has no context. What's constitutes "Playing football" Navaughn Donaldson plays football but he isn't any good. . 22 isn't a large #' when you compare it to other positions in SFL.

Advertisement
I'm not defending the staff but that quote has no context. What's constitutes "Playing football" Navaughn Donaldson plays football but he isn't any good. . 22 isn't a large #' when you compare it to other positions in SFL.
Well stat was from 2018-2020. So donaldson doesn’t count

What more context do you need other than 22 kids in Miami back yard will play offensive line in power 5 these past 3yrs. We landed 1 and barely went after any of them. Pretty cut and dry

Mario felt the need to go across country and get Denis. LSU who can get anyone chose to go after Martinez this year. But I guess you trust Barry’s evaluations more?

1576282249327.png

Well stat was from 2018-2020. So donaldson doesn’t count

What more context do you need other than 22 kids in Miami back yard will play offensive line in power 5 these past 3yrs. We landed 1 and barely went after any of them. Pretty cut and dry

Mario felt the need to go across country and get Denis. LSU who can get anyone chose to go after Martinez this year. But I guess you trust Barry’s evaluations more?

Again..not defending the staff. But playing p5 is a broad statement. Theres 1100+ OL "playing" p5

Advertisement
Been saying this for years. Our problem isn’t South Florida OL. It’s not signing enough of them.

No, you would be incorrect. South Florida lineman are bad. You can name a few anomalies, but no, in general they are bad. Don't get mad. I know what happens when you feel threatened by posters. This is just a disagreement.

Been some interesting threads on here about OL over the years.

There was a thread a while back that had listed out the Top Florida OL for each year...even though Miami didn't get the best ones, at the end of their careers, the Miami guys were outplaying the field that went elsewhere by quite a bit. The year with Ereck Flowers and Danny Isidora sticks out. 5-6 OL were ahead of Ereck Flowers (Theus, Avery Young, etc.), and a dozen ahead of Isidora or so. At the end of that class' run...the only two standing were Flowers and Isidora and it wasn't particularly close for a third.

Ultimately, my opinion is, you don't need to get all of them, but you've got to get at least a couple of them. And you gotta f'n evaluate. We legit had Forrest Lamp on campus after senior season tape was out and we swung and missed. We do this kind of **** all of the time. Sometimes its even obvious...everyone was saying to offer to Kaleb Boateng and now he gets snaps with f'n Clemson as a true freshman. He couldn't play here? srs?

Advertisement

Gage Gaynor with make it 23!

I actually listened to this and he did make good points...And that stat above, like you can say "well not all those are good power 5 teams"...Or "well we have gotten guys from elsewhere" BUT WE HAVEN'T! But he is right, you can't have that stat above be real...AND be trotting out a dogshyt offensive line.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Been some interesting threads on here about OL over the years.

There was a thread a while back that had listed out the Top Florida OL for each year...even though Miami didn't get the best ones, at the end of their careers, the Miami guys were outplaying the field that went elsewhere by quite a bit. The year with Ereck Flowers and Danny Isidora sticks out. 5-6 OL were ahead of Ereck Flowers (Theus, Avery Young, etc.), and a dozen ahead of Isidora or so. At the end of that class' run...the only two standing were Flowers and Isidora and it wasn't particularly close for a third.

Ultimately, my opinion is, you don't need to get all of them, but you've got to get at least a couple of them. And you gotta f'n evaluate. We legit had Forrest Lamp on campus after senior season tape was out and we swung and missed. We do this kind of **** all of the time. Sometimes its even obvious...everyone was saying to offer to Kaleb Boateng and now he gets snaps with f'n Clemson as a true freshman. He couldn't play here? srs?

💯 If I remember correctly, Kaleb was publicly begging for an offer. Can’t remember if it was through social media or interviews. Good thing we didn’t offer and instead went the Tommy Kennedy route.

Advertisement
Back