Offensive line-Palm Beach Post Article

Freshman
Banned
"At Tuesday’s practice, offensive line coach Stacy Searels shifted right guard Navaughn Donaldson to right tackle. In his place, he put redshirt junior Hayden Mahoney (174 snaps last year, mostly at right guard). Richt was encouraged by how those two meshed with left tackle Tyree St. Louis, left guard Jahair Jones and center Tyler Gauthier."

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2018/04/11/espn-analyst-has-one-way-malik-rosier-can-stop-streaky-play-richt-likes-new-o-line-combo-spring-game-notes/

Advertisement
About time to post the clip of Jones getting manhandled by AQM?

Donaldson has had reps like that. St. Louis got beat like a drum as a freshman.

I’m not saying Jones is as good as those guys. He’s not. But OL is the position where players make the biggest improvements. Mahoney is also having a great spring. These are good things.

Advertisement
We have quality depth at OL for the first time in decades. Searels will figure it out.

We need to get to where the 2nd teamers are just as good as the starters or we won't do much offensively against the better teams.

I love the idea of moving big Vaughn to right tackle now, as opposed to waiting until fall camp. He will have the rest of the spring and all summer to focus on perfecting his footwork. This will allow him to feel more comfortable and have more confidence at RT, heading into fall camp.

Advertisement
On one hand, I'm thinking, good for Jones - finally putting it all together. OTOH, I'm thinking, lawd helps us if jahairball jones is starting.

"“We’ve got some good, young linemen, but you’d hate to rely on true freshmen if you don’t have to,” Richt said. “I’m not sure we have a true, true left tackle in the program, so in recruiting, we’ll definitely have to find that guy that could be that left tackle.”

Not sure we have a true left tackle? Better get one to play top 10 football.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article208562674.html

Last edited:
Really should have grabbed a juco ot last class. **** still should in this class.

Think the light came on somewhat for Jahair Jones..thats good considering i expect Boulware to come in and fight for one of the guard spots.
We recruit guards like no other..but continuously recruit Tackles with bad feet.

Right now i would even through Scaife over on the left side for some work

Really should have grabbed a juco ot last class. **** still should in this class.

Think the light came on somewhat for Jahair Jones..thats good considering i expect Boulware to come in and fight for one of the guard spots.
We recruit guards like no other..but continuously recruit Tackles with bad feet.

I predicted Scaife as our starting LT until St Louis got moved over. Kid's short but got long arms and great feet. I think he'll be the primary backup at LT with Donaldson playing RT in 2018 before moving back to RG in 2019.

The 2 deep at OL in 2019 actually looks pretty **** good:

LT - Scaife, Campbell
LG - Boulware, Dykstra
C - Mahoney, Gaynor
RG - Donaldson, Reed
RT - Hillery, Herbert

Advertisement
"“We’ve got some good, young linemen, but you’d hate to rely on true freshmen if you don’t have to,” Richt said. “I’m not sure we have a true, true left tackle in the program, so in recruiting, we’ll definitely have to find that guy that could be that left tackle.”

Not sure we have a true left tackle? Better get one to play top 10 football.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article208562674.html

I think he was talking to Evan Neal and the kid from West Virginia.

Right is easier than left tackle so I would Work him at right tackle

Advertisement
Donaldson has had reps like that. St. Louis got beat like a drum as a freshman.

I’m not saying Jones is as good as those guys. He’s not. But OL is the position where players make the biggest improvements. Mahoney is also having a great spring. These are good things.

Not saying Jones hasn't improved. I hope he has, however it is still a fun clip to look back on having AQM welcome Jones to Miami football.

Advertisement
Back