Offensive Line is a Weakness

Even the most blind, unknowing football fan can tell the Miami line is really bad. I'm pretty sure we're all in 100% agreement on that. The real issue is, why are we playing underclassmen at a position where they are least likely to succeed. I'm not saying these guys will never be good players, it's just incredibly rare for anybody to be starting a line this young. Even the best linemen often need a year or two of seasoning before they're ready to play. Did Richt/Searles really miss on every single OL recruit? We have one junior and zero senior linemen who are worth anything at all? You can get by playing a freshman if you surround him with upperclassmen but when you've got a line that starts two freshman, two sophomores and a junior, you can't hide anybody's mistakes.
But there are no upperclassmen. Our oldest players outside of Kennedy are Donaldson and 4 RS sophomores. We have no other alternative than to go young.

Advertisement
But there are no upperclassmen. Our oldest players outside of Kennedy are Donaldson and 4 RS sophomores. We have no other alternative than to go young.
I know. How the **** did we get stuck in this situation though? Right now, I'm just hoping it all pays off in the future. If we're going to take lumps, I'd rather do it with young guys and get them experience. It's just terrible that a P5 program has mismanaged depth and recruiting so bad over the years that they have no option but to go incredibly young on the line.

I played quarterback for St Thomas back in the day. I did at one point coach high school football. I am not a qb "guru" People call me that. I NEVER have repeated those words out of my mouth once nor will I ever. I just love the game and consider myself an advanced student having picked up some things after around a decade watching film and studying all things quarterbacks. I learn something almost new about the game every week when I watch film. This game intrigues me.

I don't want to coach or have ANY desire in doing so right now. (other than coaching my son's baseball team which is much more important to me) I don't claim to know more than the coaches who get paid for a living. I just talk about the game bro. Nothing more, Nothing less.
Like I said I respect your breakdowns, like how you played the position, but think you’re wrong with the OLine. Especially blaming the current coaches.

Advertisement
Jez, I heard everything. Not that I'd be against it. I really don't know who are the good OL coaches. But I can't forget how he was run out of town, twice, by this board, the grassy board, Coker, then his college room mate.

The best technical hire I remember has been Stoutland who's still with the Eagles.
Its been years, and years since Kehoe coached at an elite level, I know eyes roll through the back of heads when his name is brought up. But he usually fields not-terrible lines, and thats something considering he worked for AG last we saw him. Funny how good his line was for good HCs or talented teams. He also recruited OTs.

Bro they already took out Campbell after week 0 and are probably going to take out Zion (or switch him to RT) for the Tech game.....what more proof do you want that they shouldn’t have started those two guys? They are basically admitting they messed up by benching them lol 🤦🏻‍♂️

That's not proof of anything. That's proof that they are willing to try something different, but if the end result is worse then, that does nothing for your argument.

Side note: Where are you seeing that they are probably going to take out Zion or move him to RT?

Advertisement
There is no evidence that that our OL would improve if they started someone else. None.
You’re right. Just trout out Zion every time And get the same results, I’m sure jarren loves getting lit up as much as he does.

Even the most blind, unknowing football fan can tell the Miami line is really bad. I'm pretty sure we're all in 100% agreement on that. The real issue is, why are we playing underclassmen at a position where they are least likely to succeed. I'm not saying these guys will never be good players, it's just incredibly rare for anybody to be starting a line this young. Even the best linemen often need a year or two of seasoning before they're ready to play. Did Richt/Searles really miss on every single OL recruit? We have one junior and zero senior linemen who are worth anything at all? You can get by playing a freshman if you surround him with upperclassmen but when you've got a line that starts two freshman, two sophomores and a junior, you can't hide anybody's mistakes.
Can only assume the "why" is because they're sadly better than the alternative.

Good listen - Kelvin Harris makes a lot of good points

That's not proof of anything. That's proof that they are willing to try something different, but if the end result is worse then, that does nothing for your argument.

Side note: Where are you seeing that they are probably going to take out Zion or move him to RT?
When you do something and then reverse action that quickly it means you made a mistake to begin with. I commend them for admitting their mistake though

Advertisement
Good listen - Kelvin Harris makes a lot of good points

You can cut and past fat manny articles as you can’t steal from a sloth.

Advertisement
by the way, Kennedy doesn't even dress for home games. He is in warm ups. At 54 years of age and 20 pounds overweight on a 5'7" inch typical Cuban body with four years of eligibility, i have a better chance of sniffing the field.

25 spots per year.
How many transfer out?
How many medicals retirements have we had?
How many leave early for the NFL?
How many transfer in with 1-3 years left to play?

As of now, we are retaining less than 20 of the 25 per year. We can’t sign 40 because we don’t have that many extras from the prior year for EE kids. My gut says we have 27 spots for 2020. The real issue isn’t signing 27 but signing and retaining HS kids.

Departures like Reed hurt more than Mahoney and Cager when it comes to numbers. That said, all departures hurt our 85 count as we don’t get them back. At some point, we have to develop and retain HS kids for more than 2-3 years. That is culture, coaching, and winning.

They don’t need to, just need to be better than Zion has been on game day
The point is, it's a rare person that doesn't show in practice what you'll see in a game. If anything they'll tend to show out worse. That's where "Greentree all American" came from, isn't it?

I mostly agree with you Roman except that I still believe a spread system would do a better job of masking the deficiency as opposed to trying to run power I and play action. To your point, we would still have issues but I think the issues would be more manageable than when we ask Jarren to turn his back to the D or ask Dallas to make something out of nothing.

Advertisement
Back