Offensive formations/plays you want to see this year

Do your part and get off the field. It goes both ways, yeah the offense didn’t always extend drives but I know the defense sure as **** gave up too many 3rd downs too.

Everyone tries to say the defense carried the team, yeah in some games but let’s not also forget that the offense went out and simply won games too or was in them because what they did as well
Mehta. Defense was 75th on third downs offense was 127th. One side was pretty bad. The other was **** poor.

Advertisement
Mehta. Defense was 75th on third downs offense was 127th. One side was pretty bad. The other was **** poor.
Eh, the **** poor offense saved the defense *** multiple times too last season(just like the defense did as well).

I just want to see a deep pass on 3rd and 1 like the old days! Just 1-2 times a game to keep the Defense honest on 3rd downs.

Eh, the **** poor offense saved the defense *** multiple times too last season(just like the defense did as well).
You realize there are 130 FBS teams. Miami's offense was 127th on third down. That's garbage territory.

Maybe this?

fridge.jpg

Advertisement
You realize there are 130 FBS teams. Miami's offense was 127th on third down. That's garbage territory.
Who said it wasn’t? Just because one thing is true doesn’t mean the other isn’t either. Need to improve on both sides

They have had pretty good seasons statistically but we certainly need to improve on 3rd downs and red zone scoring. I think A reason richt hasn’t been doing that as much because he didn’t trust malik and I’m not sure why not with kaaya

A shallow cross is about as basic and simple a read/throw as you can get. Stop making excuses for the man he's been a below average play caller. I like him as a head coach but the fact of the matter is his playcalling has left a lot to be desired.

A simple high/low Texas concept where the TE runs over the top on either a dig or a post and clears out the linebacker for the shallow cross is about as elementary, and effective as it gets. The worst part about it is we have the athletes to kill it with that system.

More quick slants, receivers going deep then throwing to the backs, and use of the fullback both running and passing.

Advertisement
All these Coaches that just sit on the couch and criticize smh. 10% of the plays called last year were dumb. If you want to do a jet sweep you can do one maybe two a game but if an interior lineman doesn’t hold their block that’s -8 yards at least. And the motions required to pull off the play can tip off the defense (see jaquan Johnson make the play against Notre Dame). If Malik hits his throws regardless of if it’s just 4 yards and we gain 3-4 yards a run everything is still in play in the playbook. But due to us getting very little yardage on 1st down runs last year put our offense behind the sticks wayyyy tooo often. Then you add a qb who struggles with ball placement beyond 8 yards that is not a winning formula to extend drives. I do like shallow crosses though with our athletes and deep threats

Alright it’s a slow time of year so we need some thins we can discuss on the Canes.

Let’s look at the talent we’ve brought in over the last few classes and come up with what formations & personel you want to see most this season.

Shot Gun
WR Richards - JT (slot) - Cager
H-Back Jordan
RB Homer

Running JT on jet sweep to pressure D horizontally.

Would like to see this with JT faking a jet sweep towards Jordan side and then run Homer on a counter with Jordan leading through the hole.

Or using the Jet sweep fake and running a screen to Homer in the opposite direction.
I think the the numerous suggestions of many posters on what to do to improve our offense is earth shattering. I never realized there were so many knowledgeable football experts on this forum. There is little doubt that many posters should apply to our AD and head coach for jobs to replace our current coaches. They have suggested various formations and plays that will revolutionize football. Our current offensive coaches are no good. It is obvious if various posters were hired to replace our current coaches we would go undefeated this year and win the NC.

Advertisement
I never understood why we didn’t use more eye candy like this. All the bubbles with nothing off that action.

That’s my knock on Richt , there’s no smoke n mirrors , just watch Clemson. It’s stealing , so much movement , motions and misdirections. That’s why all the qbs in this type of offenses have crazy stats and comp percentages. Less reads and easier throws.

This motion nonsense has become buzz words tossed around by people with minimal football knowledge(Cribby, you are excluded from this assessment). It doesn't matter how much pre snap movement you have when your QB can't hit simple passes, to OPEN RECEIVERS. I lost count how many times Rosier completely blew simple throws last year, to guys who didn't have a defender within 5 yards of them. That was the problem, simple accuracy and efficiency. People act like there's only one way to call a game, when in reality, you can win with multiple approaches. Lining up and successfully executing the **** play is pretty effective, even if you aren't running around like a fire drill presnap. Presnap motion isn't some end all be all to offensive football, it's merely window dressing. A well disciplined team will ignore a lot of it, and run downhill. For proof, look at what Alabama did to Clemson last year. Eventually, it comes down to execution.

This motion nonsense has become buzz words tossed around by people with minimal football knowledge(Cribby, you are excluded from this assessment). It doesn't matter how much pre snap movement you have when your QB can't hit simple passes, to OPEN RECEIVERS. I lost count how many times Rosier completely blew simple throws last year, to guys who didn't have a defender within 5 yards of them. That was the problem, simple accuracy and efficiency. People act like there's only one way to call a game, when in reality, you can win with multiple approaches. Lining up and successfully executing the **** play is pretty effective, even if you aren't running around like a fire drill presnap. Presnap motion isn't some end all be all to offensive football, it's merely window dressing. A well disciplined team will ignore a lot of it, and run downhill. For proof, look at what Alabama did to Clemson last year. Eventually, it comes down to execution.

I agree with the qb issue and execution( to a point ) that’s why I’m not as hard on MR’s offense as a lot of other posters. Even though I think a lot of his scheme is stuck in the 90’s (minus the rpo stuff).

That being said , the point I’m making is still a huge part of today’s football. And makes play calling , reads , throws easier. Which would be huge for an inaccurate , hot and cold qb.

Even Bama uses a lot of this from the spread , mix that with a athletic qb you have a problem on your hands as a defense.

The motion , shifting and movement pre snap or as the snap is made has 22 eyes on that action. Which increases the odds of busted assignments because kids taking the candy ( just watch us vs Clemson ).

It’s obvious he’s going to use a lot of spread so I wouldn’t think a small adjustment like this would be a huge adjustment for his offense.

Rosiers issues with progressions and accuracy makes this an even better idea.

Advertisement
The thing that a lot of offenses with pre-snap motions and simple reads (like Clemson) offer is some easy reads, and also getting the ball into playmakers hands to allow them some opportunities to break a big play.

Trying to get college QB’s reading defenses using complex offenses (similar to NFL) is hard because they can’t spend as much time with them as they do in the pros.

There were times last year that the offense was clicking, but then would just dry up, or vice versa where they are terrible then show up at the end (FSU, GT).

We definitely need our QB to have more poise and hit receivers that are open, but I think that smart game planning can make it easier for the offense to be successful.

A shallow cross is about as basic and simple a read/throw as you can get. Stop making excuses for the man he's been a below average play caller. I like him as a head coach but the fact of the matter is his playcalling has left a lot to be desired.

A simple high/low Texas concept where the TE runs over the top on either a dig or a post and clears out the linebacker for the shallow cross is about as elementary, and effective as it gets. The worst part about it is we have the athletes to kill it with that system.
You trust malik throwing over the middle? I dont

You trust malik throwing over the middle? I dont

Then what the **** is the point? You're going to start a human being at quarterback and then ignore the middle of the field?

This isn't Richt's first year here. We're far enough into his tenure that whoever we put on that field is his choice and his responsibility. He's got 2 hand picked highly rated recruits as alternatives.

Whoever is on that field has to throw the ball over the middle or else what the **** are we even playing the games for.

I agree with the qb issue and execution( to a point ) that’s why I’m not as hard on MR’s offense as a lot of other posters. Even though I think a lot of his scheme is stuck in the 90’s (minus the rpo stuff).

That being said , the point I’m making is still a huge part of today’s football. And makes play calling , reads , throws easier. Which would be huge for an inaccurate , hot and cold qb.

Even Bama uses a lot of this from the spread , mix that with a athletic qb you have a problem on your hands as a defense.

The motion , shifting and movement pre snap or as the snap is made has 22 eyes on that action. Which increases the odds of busted assignments because kids taking the candy ( just watch us vs Clemson ).

It’s obvious he’s going to use a lot of spread so I wouldn’t think a small adjustment like this would be a huge adjustment for his offense.

Rosiers issues with progressions and accuracy makes this an even better idea.

Sorry, but we're far enough into his tenure that the QB thing isn't an excuse anymore. Whoever starts vs LSU is Richt's choice and needs to at least be able to run a semblance of Richt's offense.....otherwise Richt should have gone out and found a grad transfer to run his offense. Not to mention we've got two of his hand picked highly rated kids as alternatives.

There are no more excuses for Richt's offense. It's go time.

Advertisement
Back