Offensive Coordinator.

Who did Richt hire as a offensive coordinator this week because the offense looked **** good to me. Richt couldn't have called those plays because the game has passed him by,his offense is outdated, and he is a corch according to some keyboard " experts" here. lol

Took him 5 weeks to adjust, yeah, incredible job by coach.

At least he adjusted, our last coach never did....

Advertisement
its funny how the same play calling looks "different" when the QB is actually executing like he is suppose to albeit against inferior competition

This is really a response for everyone else, since I know the trajectory of any "discussion" with someone obsessed with faulting the QB.

It doesn't "look" different. Sometimes, playcalls are different. It's a shame people either have no idea what they're looking at or just don't want to open their eyes because of a conclusion they've already made about who to fault.

We ran inside vertical routes over the past few weeks that didn't happen Oct. 8th or Oct. 15th. Go back and check to see if Richards was ever sent vertically out of the slot during those games. He was today. He beat his guy off the line immediately and one time it went for a large chunk play. Go check to see if Njoku ever threatened the field down the seam against FSU. Today, Kaaya was afforded those looks out of quick drops and they opened up immediately. Because many of these plays take minimal OL protection and it's our most talented guys inside against mismatched defenders, execution looks different from the QB to WR/TE outcome.

trust me Brad Kaaya wouldn't have been able to hit majority of the throws he made today vs Pitt against FSU. He didn't have to worry about pressure at all today... and the HC didn't have to adjust to Kaaya's lack of poise under pressure. It was like a 7 on 7 drill which is when Kaaya plays his best.

Who did Richt hire as a offensive coordinator this week because the offense looked **** good to me. Richt couldn't have called those plays because the game has passed him by,his offense is outdated, and he is a corch according to some keyboard " experts" here. lol

I don't think it was ever fair to say it was all on Richt or all on Kaaya.

This game actually works against your general point. Throughout the past 4 weeks, Coach Richt has clearly and continuously moved his offense to a more open, downfield attack. In different spurts against VT and ND. No longer is he setting up the pass with the run. He's doing the opposite and using the pass to convert 3rd downs.

Today is a really good example for those who said it's a combination of problems everywhere: Coach, QB, OL, RB, execution. It varies with each game, naturally, but if you can't see Richt's playcalling and vertical routes inside that weren't there against FSU, we're watching different games. Today, Richt attacked the opponent's weakness: a horrendous pass defense. That's all some were asking from missed opportunities against FSU and UNC.

I wouldn't say our offense is expected to be incredible now, either, though. Would still like to see how Coach Richt and Kaaya react in a big game against a good defense. Do we still take aggressive shots and pass first or do we play things a little tighter again?

Richt play calls were better but Kaaya was decisive with his reads. For the first time this year, he looked comfortable.

As I said in the post above, it's a combination. We really didn't run that many new plays today. But, we did see differences in passing more on early downs (that makes a huge difference) and we did use simple combination routes on the outside to move the sticks. Two seam plays stick out in memory and both of those require almost no OL protection and a quick read and release from Kaaya.

That's what he did well with under Coley: spread looks, vertical routes and quick drops. We started seeing more of it against VT. We're now seeing further adjustments like Richards being a vertical target out of the slot.

Small adjustments make big differences for EVERYONE when EVERYONE has a bit of the fault in bad execution. We're still likely shaky against a better defense, but it's a good sign to see continuous adjustments toward what we do well and more focus on what defenses do poorly.

its funny how the same play calling looks "different" when the QB is actually executing like he is suppose to albeit against inferior competition

This is really a response for everyone else, since I know the trajectory of any "discussion" with someone obsessed with faulting the QB.

It doesn't "look" different. Sometimes, playcalls are different. It's a shame people either have no idea what they're looking at or just don't want to open their eyes because of a conclusion they've already made about who to fault.

We ran inside vertical routes over the past few weeks that didn't happen Oct. 8th or Oct. 15th. Go back and check to see if Richards was ever sent vertically out of the slot during those games. He was today. He beat his guy off the line immediately and one time it went for a large chunk play. Go check to see if Njoku ever threatened the field down the seam against FSU. Today, Kaaya was afforded those looks out of quick drops and they opened up immediately. Because many of these plays take minimal OL protection and it's our most talented guys inside against mismatched defenders, execution looks different from the QB to WR/TE outcome.

trust me Brad Kaaya wouldn't have been able to hit majority of the throws he made today vs Pitt against FSU. He didn't have to worry about pressure at all today... and the HC didn't have to adjust to Kaaya's lack of poise under pressure. It was like a 7 on 7 drill which is when Kaaya plays his best.
I actually agree there were a number of throws he made today that wouldn't have been there against FSU. There were a handful, however, that would have been there. When I get the game tape, I'll post them. The two down the seam stand out. FSU was weak as can be up the middle of their defense and, for whatever reason, failed to attack there. Almost bizarre.

O Juan price has the second most sacks in the country and they handled him most of the game.

Advertisement
2-3 in ACC games and he stays calling RPOs with a pocket QB.

Richt is a coRch.

Pocket passing QB has nothing to do with RPO. Y'all think the run/pass option, read option, and triple option the same thing just because it's an option.

The run option is a handoff to the RB, the pass option is whatever route you designed for the play. Typically a quick hitter like a slant. The read option is when the QB can keep, which isn't what we're doing.

It's simply a numbers game, pre snap read on the safety and OLB, if you make the correct pre snap read, your OL executes, and you hold onto the ball or complete the pass its gonna pick up yards every time. The problem has been OL execution

The problem has also been Brad getting baited into the pass by uncovering the slot, then flooding downhill to the throw. Brad was getting schooled by some of these DCs and it started with FSU.

This game actually works against your general point. Throughout the past 4 weeks, Coach Richt has clearly and continuously moved his offense to a more open, downfield attack. In different spurts against VT and ND. No longer is he setting up the pass with the run. He's doing the opposite and using the pass to convert 3rd downs.

Today is a really good example for those who said it's a combination of problems everywhere: Coach, QB, OL, RB, execution. It varies with each game, naturally, but if you can't see Richt's playcalling and vertical routes inside that weren't there against FSU, we're watching different games. Today, Richt attacked the opponent's weakness: a horrendous pass defense. That's all some were asking from missed opportunities against FSU and UNC.

I wouldn't say our offense is expected to be incredible now, either, though. Would still like to see how Coach Richt and Kaaya react in a big game against a good defense. Do we still take aggressive shots and pass first or do we play things a little tighter again?

Richt play calls were better but Kaaya was decisive with his reads. For the first time this year, he looked comfortable.

As I said in the post above, it's a combination. We really didn't run that many new plays today. But, we did see differences in passing more on early downs (that makes a huge difference) and we did use simple combination routes on the outside to move the sticks. Two seam plays stick out in memory and both of those require almost no OL protection and a quick read and release from Kaaya.

That's what he did well with under Coley: spread looks, vertical routes and quick drops. We started seeing more of it against VT. We're now seeing further adjustments like Richards being a vertical target out of the slot.

Small adjustments make big differences for EVERYONE when EVERYONE has a bit of the fault in bad execution. We're still likely shaky against a better defense, but it's a good sign to see continuous adjustments toward what we do well and more focus on what defenses do poorly.

+1, all good points.

Richt is a coRch.

Pocket passing QB has nothing to do with RPO. Y'all think the run/pass option, read option, and triple option the same thing just because it's an option.

The run option is a handoff to the RB, the pass option is whatever route you designed for the play. Typically a quick hitter like a slant. The read option is when the QB can keep, which isn't what we're doing.

It's simply a numbers game, pre snap read on the safety and OLB, if you make the correct pre snap read, your OL executes, and you hold onto the ball or complete the pass its gonna pick up yards every time. The problem has been OL execution

The problem has also been Brad getting baited into the pass by uncovering the slot, then flooding downhill to the throw. Brad was getting schooled by some of these DCs and it started with FSU.
Wouldn't have put him in that position. He's checked to the sideline for 2 years. His best plays were pre-determined constructs. Thinking back to the FSU game in 2014, when Coley ran out of scripted plays (think of the long Walford TD) and misatches, FSU went to zone and Kaaya couldn't work himself through it. I mean, he was a True Frosh, but the point is he's done his best with fixed plays and minimal improvisation.

Kaaya's got his limitations. We know that. I think we're clearly moving toward the type of downfield attack that works best for him and with our OL.

Advertisement

At least he adjusted, our last coach never did....

This.

His adjustments are encouraging. As I said before: still not perfect, but much better.

Great post!

Advertisement
Enough of this Triumphalismo.

People are acting as if Pitt is Clemson.

Where was this offense in the 2nd half of the FSU game?

Agree.

Advertisement

Richt is a coRch.

Wouldn't have put him in that position. He's checked to the sideline for 2 years. His best plays were pre-determined constructs. Thinking back to the FSU game in 2014, when Coley ran out of scripted plays (think of the long Walford TD) and misatches, FSU went to zone and Kaaya couldn't work himself through it. I mean, he was a True Frosh, but the point is he's done his best with fixed plays and minimal improvisation.

Kaaya's got his limitations. We know that. I think we're clearly moving toward the type of downfield attack that works best for him and with our OL.

This is a key point, and often gets ignored on this board.

Today was a really good day for Richt, Kayaa and the O-line. Can't we just be happy that things improved all around?

Him or the players? Dudes still drop gimmie balls, but preen and profile after every catch? There's an attitude and focus that needs to be developed at the player level before we truly turn the corner but this was a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back