Offensive Coordinator.

Who did Richt hire as a offensive coordinator this week because the offense looked **** good to me. Richt couldn't have called those plays because the game has passed him by,his offense is outdated, and he is a corch according to some keyboard " experts" here. lol

I don't think it was ever fair to say it was all on Richt or all on Kaaya.

This game actually works against your general point. Throughout the past 4 weeks, Coach Richt has clearly and continuously moved his offense to a more open, downfield attack. In different spurts against VT and ND. No longer is he setting up the pass with the run. He's doing the opposite and using the pass to convert 3rd downs.

Today is a really good example for those who said it's a combination of problems everywhere: Coach, QB, OL, RB, execution. It varies with each game, naturally, but if you can't see Richt's playcalling and vertical routes inside that weren't there against FSU, we're watching different games. Today, Richt attacked the opponent's weakness: a horrendous pass defense. That's all some were asking from missed opportunities against FSU and UNC.

I wouldn't say our offense is expected to be incredible now, either, though. Would still like to see how Coach Richt and Kaaya react in a big game against a good defense. Do we still take aggressive shots and pass first or do we play things a little tighter again?

Thing is, if you CAN run effectively, that opens up the passing game.

If you CAN pass effectively, that opens up the running game.

If Richt can just realize these inverses - that it cuts both ways - then don't be stubborn on which he feels he must force. (Our running game)

Shorter, high percentage passes can eat a defense up. Opening up running opportunities, and even mid-to-long passes.

Advertisement
2-3 in ACC games and he stays calling RPOs with a pocket QB.

Richt is a coRch.

Pocket passing QB has nothing to do with RPO. Y'all think the run/pass option, read option, and triple option the same thing just because it's an option.

The run option is a handoff to the RB, the pass option is whatever route you designed for the play. Typically a quick hitter like a slant. The read option is when the QB can keep, which isn't what we're doing.

It's simply a numbers game, pre snap read on the safety and OLB, if you make the correct pre snap read, your OL executes, and you hold onto the ball or complete the pass its gonna pick up yards every time. The problem has been OL execution

The problem has also been Brad getting baited into the pass by uncovering the slot, then flooding downhill to the throw. Brad was getting schooled by some of these DCs and it started with FSU.
Wouldn't have put him in that position. He's checked to the sideline for 2 years. His best plays were pre-determined constructs. Thinking back to the FSU game in 2014, when Coley ran out of scripted plays (think of the long Walford TD) and misatches, FSU went to zone and Kaaya couldn't work himself through it. I mean, he was a True Frosh, but the point is he's done his best with fixed plays and minimal improvisation.

Kaaya's got his limitations. We know that. I think we're clearly moving toward the type of downfield attack that works best for him and with our OL.

Brad looked good against App St. and GT running RPO, but once that film is out the FSUs of the world are going to scheme against it and they baited him to death. Brad didn't respond to the baiting well and neither did Richt it seems, on what what was a short week of prep due to a threatening storm. Nothing wrong with the concept or Brad running it, but there should have been some earlier recognition and wrinkles..

There have been execution issues, protection issues, and disposition issues the last 4 weeks. It's hard to point to cadence/tempo as 'the reason' we sucked offensively.

Who did Richt hire as a offensive coordinator this week because the offense looked **** good to me. Richt couldn't have called those plays because the game has passed him by,his offense is outdated, and he is a corch according to some keyboard " experts" here. lol

This game actually works against your general point. Throughout the past 4 weeks, Coach Richt has clearly and continuously moved his offense to a more open, downfield attack. In different spurts against VT and ND. No longer is he setting up the pass with the run. He's doing the opposite and using the pass to convert 3rd downs.

Today is a really good example for those who said it's a combination of problems everywhere: Coach, QB, OL, RB, execution. It varies with each game, naturally, but if you can't see Richt's playcalling and vertical routes inside that weren't there against FSU, we're watching different games. Today, Richt attacked the opponent's weakness: a horrendous pass defense. That's all some were asking from missed opportunities against FSU and UNC.

I wouldn't say our offense is expected to be incredible now, either, though. Would still like to see how Coach Richt and Kaaya react in a big game against a good defense. Do we still take aggressive shots and pass first or do we play things a little tighter again?
Our best hope is that Richt learns from this season. Put guys in a position to succeed and cater to their strengths.

Thing is, if you CAN run effectively, that opens up the passing game.

If you CAN pass effectively, that opens up the running game.

If Richt can just realize these inverses - that it cuts both ways - then don't be stubborn on which he feels he must force. (Our running game)

Shorter, high percentage passes can eat a defense up. Opening up running opportunities, and even mid-to-long passes.

You sound like someone who think's they have a special level of thinking that no one else does... It's easy to say throw to run, but when OL guys aren't protecting, and WRs are dropping passes it's not as effective. Listen to Richt's post-game presser last week and he addresses the fact that you have to throw and catch well to just drop back and pass the rock. We're not UW under Peterson or Hawaii under June Jones.. We need to utilize a certain level of balance to keep the defense from teeing off, or execute the quick passing game a lot better like we did today.

Advertisement
2-3 in ACC games and he stays calling RPOs with a pocket QB.

Richt is a coRch.

Pocket passing QB has nothing to do with RPO. Y'all think the run/pass option, read option, and triple option the same thing just because it's an option.

The run option is a handoff to the RB, the pass option is whatever route you designed for the play. Typically a quick hitter like a slant. The read option is when the QB can keep, which isn't what we're doing.

It's simply a numbers game, pre snap read on the safety and OLB, if you make the correct pre snap read, your OL executes, and you hold onto the ball or complete the pass its gonna pick up yards every time. The problem has been OL execution

The problem has also been Brad getting baited into the pass by uncovering the slot, then flooding downhill to the throw. Brad was getting schooled by some of these DCs and it started with FSU.
Wouldn't have put him in that position. He's checked to the sideline for 2 years. His best plays were pre-determined constructs. Thinking back to the FSU game in 2014, when Coley ran out of scripted plays (think of the long Walford TD) and misatches, FSU went to zone and Kaaya couldn't work himself through it. I mean, he was a True Frosh, but the point is he's done his best with fixed plays and minimal improvisation.

Kaaya's got his limitations. We know that. I think we're clearly moving toward the type of downfield attack that works best for him and with our OL.

Brad looked good against App St. and GT running RPO, but once that film is out the FSUs of the world are going to scheme against it and they baited him to death. Brad didn't respond to the baiting well and neither did Richt it seems, on what what was a short week of prep due to a threatening storm. Nothing wrong with the concept or Brad running it, but there should have been some earlier recognition and wrinkles..

There have been execution issues, protection issues, and disposition issues the last 4 weeks. It's hard to point to cadence/tempo as 'the reason' we sucked offensively.

I've been one to repeatedly say it hasn't been one thing at all.

My issue from the beginning was the slowness to adjustments. And, the reality is we had more stuff shown in practices that we didn't use against FSU. Specifically, things we used the very next week against UNC. It's not a coincidence that the very next week Njoku became more of a focal point - even between the hashes. Then we adjusted again vs VT. Then again vs ND. Finally, we're now using quick passing game as the seeming driver of offense.

We agree that recognition and adjustments in terms of how to attack (in a way that benefitted QB and OL) should have come quicker. Hopefully, they will going forward.

FSU, ND, VT and UNC?

1 game against Pitt (71st Total D/100th Scoring D).

Stop being a *****.

I will stop being honest.

ND, FSU, and UNC have defensive numbers like that. In fact FSUs were worse.

We've clearly made adjustments.

First, you're wrong.

Second, FSU has the 65th Total D. FSU has the 79th Scoring D. Both "better" than Pitt but still bad.

Pitt has the worst. They all have bad Ds and our offense should have done a lot better in the four games we lost. Our offense was ***ing awful and we finally played a good game.

So to review. Our offense looked like chit for 4 games and very good for 1.

We still need an OC.

its funny how the same play calling looks "different" when the QB is actually executing like he is suppose to albeit against inferior competition

This is really a response for everyone else, since I know the trajectory of any "discussion" with someone obsessed with faulting the QB.

It doesn't "look" different. Sometimes, playcalls are different. It's a shame people either have no idea what they're looking at or just don't want to open their eyes because of a conclusion they've already made about who to fault.

We ran inside vertical routes over the past few weeks that didn't happen Oct. 8th or Oct. 15th. Go back and check to see if Richards was ever sent vertically out of the slot during those games. He was today. He beat his guy off the line immediately and one time it went for a large chunk play. Go check to see if Njoku ever threatened the field down the seam against FSU. Today, Kaaya was afforded those looks out of quick drops and they opened up immediately. Because many of these plays take minimal OL protection and it's our most talented guys inside against mismatched defenders, execution looks different from the QB to WR/TE outcome.

trust me Brad Kaaya wouldn't have been able to hit majority of the throws he made today vs Pitt against FSU. He didn't have to worry about pressure at all today... and the HC didn't have to adjust to Kaaya's lack of poise under pressure. It was like a 7 on 7 drill which is when Kaaya plays his best.
I actually agree there were a number of throws he made today that wouldn't have been there against FSU. There were a handful, however, that would have been there. When I get the game tape, I'll post them. The two down the seam stand out. FSU was weak as can be up the middle of their defense and, for whatever reason, failed to attack there. Almost bizarre.

And, Ermon Lane was playing safety when the starter got hurt early in the game.

Play calling was better and so was the execution. It's progress. We'll see what next week brings.

Advertisement
I'm still nervous but we can at least say richt is adjusting...it drove me nuts last week when he credited notre dame for hitting short passes and mixing in the occasional run while complaining that he could t establish the run, yet this week he came out and didn't worry about establishing the run. Under the old regime we saw no change on our weak side (defensive) for multiple years.

We've seen Richt add different elements every week. Unfornately, this a team that still has holes and lacks depth it's taken much longer than we all liked. Like it's been stated though, the play calls look much better when the execution is there. Today the OL protected Kaaya, he was able to go through his progressions and the receivers caught the ball. Another note is we still get screwed by ACC refs it seems like every game. But when you are already shorting yourself in the food time and time again those plays get magnified when the refs take points off the board.

There were still a ton of maddening short yardage calls, but overall it's an improvement.

Let's see how he finishes out the year.

I'm going to disagree with you here. I don't think its unreasonable to expect to punch it in on 1st and Goal from the 1 yard line, for instance. I know that our OL has really struggled with run blocking lately, but at some point, you have to be able to gain one yard on the ground in two plays. Richt ran once up the middle, once outside, and finally ditched the run on 3rd down to call a fade for the TD. He wasn't nearly as stubborn with sticking with the run when it wasn't working this game.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back