Offense averaged 5.6 points in second half of our losses....

Kayaa will improve

That's not a given. It's an assumption. One with logic in some areas, but hardly blanket certainty.

For one thing, his YPA is almost certain to decline. I don't care if all the contributing personnel returned. Kaaya is not a favorite to maintain, let along improve upon, 8.5 YPA.

More than anything Kaaya needs more calmness and competence when we are trailing. This season he was about as imbalanced as I've ever seen depending on how we were faring. He was excellent when we led or were tied but once we trailed by any margin his feet started to dance, his mind froze, and the numbers declined to startling percentage, in the low 50s completion percentage and lousy quarterback rating.

This link displays that. Check out the very bottom:

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/player/415/1063801/passing/situational.html

Advertisement
Patrick Nix was as bad as it gets.

Coley is a cool dude and can script the opening few series, but when adjustments are made he folds like a cheap suit.

Our offense is slow and predictable. It also requires NFL arm strength and impeccable timing. Just like on defense, we over complicate things and it shows on the field.

Can someone give me an example of a time Coley had our team execute a 2 minute offense properly?
VT game this year, but they got lucky because Duke bailed them out and last year vs. UNC. Not enough times that is for sure.

This was taken from TOS.....

Besides Nebraska where we were trading points until the costly Duke fumble returned for a TD...

And you can't count the Delephana blocked punt vs. VA with no time left...

You are looking at 34 2h points in those 6 losses.

It's mind boggling to me how people put the defense so much more at fault than the offense for this past season. Don't get me wrong, I think Kayaa is a nice starting point and will improve. But BIG improvement is needed 34 points in 6 of those losses people!! If you give Louisville game a pass because of Kayaa ok still...And a couple of those defenses were terrible too, and even the better ones (Va., FSU, GT) were just adequate and not exactly a murderer's row!

The good news is that 25 of those points came against the last two, Pitt and SoCar, as Kayaa finally started to learn a little bit how to play from behind...But the bad news is everyone lit up those 2 defenses and the first Pitt drive was out of the locker room after half and came with 2 15 yard defensive penalties on Pitt. And our 44 combined points for the game against these 2 weak defenses is ugly.

In those 6 losses, I'm counting about 10 drives worth a **** after the half...Not exaggerating. And one of those was the lost Dobard fumble against FSU.

We were about a 1.5 quarter team on offense this season. The first 20-25 minutes of the game we were dynamite...Then disappeared, especially if the other team didn't crumble.

Kayaa will improve, let's hope J. Coley does too

What a pleasure to read a football story with actual facts and stats. Thank you.
I hope this is the type of intelligent conversation this coaching staff is having.
Of course this thread will be hijacked by the "burn everything" crowd but it was a good read.

Coley deserves to be shown the door as much as the rest of the bums on the staff

I don't understand the Coley love on here or anywhere else.

Jimbo wouldn't even let him call plays. He's basically a position coach overseer, who runs the entire Miami offense, poorly.

And some people seriously talk about him as Goldens replacement.

He's bad. He's probably calling a less aggressive game than he'd prefer, though. I don't know if he'd be AS bad if Golden would let him release the hounds. I'm certainly not going to squawk if he's part of a staff-wide purge. I just don't think it would be fair if he were singled out, as if firing him is what separates the team from greatness.

His tendency to use trick plays is scary. If this is what he thinks aggressive should be I don't want to turn him loose.

Focusing on the offense for a bit, third down and red zone efficiency sucked. Part of it is playcalling (for the latter) and the former is partly due to overall offensive philosophy.

Offense was running the clock down way too close to 0 too many times. The plays need to get in quicker and we need to drop the "check with me" lookbacks. Those 2 things add almost 10 seconds . We need more offensive plays.

Advertisement
This was taken from TOS.....

Besides Nebraska where we were trading points until the costly Duke fumble returned for a TD...

And you can't count the Delephana blocked punt vs. VA with no time left...

You are looking at 34 2h points in those 6 losses.

It's mind boggling to me how people put the defense so much more at fault than the offense for this past season. Don't get me wrong, I think Kayaa is a nice starting point and will improve. But BIG improvement is needed 34 points in 6 of those losses people!! If you give Louisville game a pass because of Kayaa ok still...And a couple of those defenses were terrible too, and even the better ones (Va., FSU, GT) were just adequate and not exactly a murderer's row!

The good news is that 25 of those points came against the last two, Pitt and SoCar, as Kayaa finally started to learn a little bit how to play from behind...But the bad news is everyone lit up those 2 defenses and the first Pitt drive was out of the locker room after half and came with 2 15 yard defensive penalties on Pitt. And our 44 combined points for the game against these 2 weak defenses is ugly.

In those 6 losses, I'm counting about 10 drives worth a **** after the half...Not exaggerating. And one of those was the lost Dobard fumble against FSU.

We were about a 1.5 quarter team on offense this season. The first 20-25 minutes of the game we were dynamite...Then disappeared, especially if the other team didn't crumble.

Kayaa will improve, let's hope J. Coley does too

Great post. Couldn't agree more.

Not that the defense is off the hook. But, if you were to take an
honest look at our defensive production BEFORE they reached their
"gassed point". I'm confident you'll see in most cases, not all,
but in most cases this is where the majority of our 3 and outs
and/or forced punts on our side of the 50 occurred.

A saying as old as the game itself: "The best defense is a strong
offense". In other words convert 3rd downs and rest your defense!

Advertisement
Back