OC Candidates

People can cut the “Why would be come here with Manny a dead man walking?!” nonsense. Clay Helton has been on the hot seat for 16 years and they signed Harrell last year. Briles was the hottest OC on the market last year and ******* Willie Taggart got him to come. $$ and talent is why, and all of these coaches have egos. They think they can get it done here when they see the talent we have. Us having Manny shouldn’t be an excuse for us to expect not to land a decent OC. I GUARANTEE there are great OCs out there who would be thrilled to take the opportunity to propel their career using the offensive talent we have on this roster. Stop that.
Prepare to be disappointed.

/hope you are right

Advertisement

/hope you are right

Oh trust me...we are about to fvck this up. I ultimately don’t have that much faith in Manny to do what NEEDS to be done. I’m well aware and I’m on the “it doesn’t matter who we hire we will still suck” train anyway. I said in another thread that I don’t want a Rich Rod but at the same time he is much better than what we will probably end up with. I just don’t think the “No OC worth a **** will hitch his wagon on to Manny” **** is a legit argument because OCs join ****** HCs every year.

Last edited:
People saying yost wouldn’t come here are missing one huge point. This would be the first time in his career he’d be calling plays and running his offense utilizing the superior athletes in 90% of the games. We have better athletes than the entire coastal. I think he’d love to come here and make use of those athletes.

People saying yost wouldn’t come here are missing one huge point. This would be the first time in his career he’d be calling plays and running his offense utilizing the superior athletes in 90% of the games. We have better athletes than the entire coastal. I think he’d love to come here and make use of those athletes.

we have superior athletes but not necessarily superior football players.

I know it’s a long shot but Brady doesn’t coach QBs. So we’d have to bring in a good QB coach. Now this is where bringing in Dorsey would be huge. Imagine if he left the bills to coach quarterbacks here. That’d be huge. Then he learns Brady’s offense and when Brady gets a head job Dorsey keeps the ship rolling. Sorry just dreaming

Advertisement
That’s a pretty UM-biased perspective. We’re a history channel brand at this point. Butch Davis, who half this board likes to mock, just rubbed his nuts in our face with a bunch of 2* recruits. LT shut us out. No OC candidate is going to think there’s a quick magical fix to a broken culture and horrendous OL and no QB. Ergo it’s a 1 year gig. Why would you even move your kids for that, if you ave any still at home?

I haven’t lived in Miami in 30 years as I left upon graduation. Johnson to Erickson years.

I do travel the country a lot for work. I travel at times with an OSU grad. I wear my green Game U hat. Available in the bookstore. It is a calling card at cabs, airports, hotels,bars etc. People always ask if I am a Cane and express their love for the U and how they want us back in the hunt. We remain a big deal. The OSU guy is invisible.

So, consider if just maybe the Cane brand is bigger than even a 20 year dry spell. Yankees, Celtics, Cowboys, and Canadians level love. Yankees had their CBS years. Cowboys perpetually suck right now. Canadians lost it when they lost their right to draft French Canadian players first. Celtics waiting forever for Bird version 2. Big brands don’t die. They lay dormant and people want and try to bring em back. All the ACC wants Miami back to bring the league back.

Top OCs would take the job for that and the most important reason by far: Money. Manchester City sucked for 100 years. They were then brought to the top of the league by an oil sheik and boom title after title. He spent money. Players and coaches flocked. If the BOT slaps down the cash, the OC will come. If not, probably not.

Last edited:
Yeah, that seems to be the point the fansite article makes. Though I wonder, if he comes here, whether Jett Duffey would follow.
I’ve got nothing against Jett Duffey, I’ve followed him since he was at the E11, he is not a QB who would help us on the field. He seems to be a 1st class human, but hed likely be rolling 4th or 5th Miami’s depth chart

Another coach no one in the Hecht has any idea exists.

If you asked Manny Diaz, he'd ask if he was still on the Colts (thinking he was talking about Anthony Gonzalez or something).

But he'd be a great choice that would show some foresight that our program has lacked.

Again, why is it that jabronis like you, I, Liberty City El, and others on this very forum can quickly identify potential great fits for this program but no one in the building can?

I'm really tempted to drive over to the Hecht and litter the parking lot with fliers of potential offensive coordinators like I was trying to promote a party at a club. Seriously, its absolutely ridiculous.
Ridiculous yes, but will most likely be our only hope Obi Wan....

Not an offensive coordinator candidate...but in some sort of role, John Van Dam from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers would be a wise choice to help develop the offensive side of the ball. He's been a playcaller and is pretty well traveled at the college level. If we do some sort of co-OC thing like some schools are doing, he'd be a nice 1b to whoever we hire as a 1a.

I'd love to replace Taylor Stubblefield with Keenan McCardell. WR Coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Developed DeDe Westbrook and DJ Chark recently. He's got a personality that I think will make a good college recruiter.
As much as I would HATE to lose McCardell from my Jags, I’ll make this one-time capitulation for the Canes given the depths of despair we are in right now. That, and with Marrone an official dead man gone, Kennan will be looking for work. I also think kids would respect the **** out of him and his extensive playing career on top of what he’s done as the WR coach here in Jacksonville. Great call mate.

Advertisement
I haven’t lived in Miami in 30 years as I left upon graduation. Johnson to Erickson years.

I do travel the country a lot for work. I travel at times with an OSU grad. I wear my green Game U hat. Available in the bookstore. It is a calling card at cabs, airports, hotels,bars etc. People always ask if I am Cane and express their love for the U and how they want us back in the hunt. We remain a big deal. The OSU guy is invisible.

So, consider if just maybe the Cane brand is bigger than even a 20 year dry spell. Yankees, Celtics, Cowboys, and Canadians level love. Yankees had their CBS years. Cowboys perpetually suck right now. Canadians lost it when they lost their right to draft French Canadian players first. Celtics waiting forever for Bird version 2. Big brands don’t die. They lay dormant and people want and try to bring em back. All the ACC wants Miami back to bring the league back.

Top OCs would take the job for that and the most importantly by far: Money. Manchester City sucked for 100 years. They were then bought by an oil sheik and boom title after title. He spent money. Players and coaches flocked. If the BOT slaps down the cash, the OC will come. If not, probably not.

I’m a Man City fan. Tech we sucked for 40 years lol but you’re right. Sheikh Mansour saved the club.

Rich Rod... guy hasn’t been relevant since like 2004. Fitting for canes football to be 15 years behind on the spread offense to hire a guy that hasn’t fielded an electric offense since Pat White

Additionally, UM would never touch him because of his off-field issues, so not sure why his name is brought up in these discussions.

A lot of guys werent oc's before being hired as an oc. You do understand that right? Just like there are head coaches who have never been head coaches before too. That's how moving up the ladder works in case you didnt know

True, and hiring first-time coordinators because they are former Cane greats has worked out well with this program.
Let him move up the ladder at another school's expense.

Advertisement
Finally that the plague of Enox is supposed to be gone, like many of you, we've all been compiling lists of OC's (did the same thing when Richt was here lol) I've unfortunately had to scratch a few names off due to them being hired elsewhere, guys like Jeff Lebby who was at UCF got hired at Ole Miss with Kiffin, Zak Hill who was at Boise St with Harsin got hired by Herm Edwards at AZ St, Chad Morris went to Auburn with Malzahn, Kendal Briles went to Arkansas with Sam Pittman, Kalen Deboer who was OC Fresno St with Tedford, then got hired at Indiana this year & got rehired at Fresno to be the HC to take over for Tedford who stepped down.

There's still the obvious names like Joe Brady (not really realistic imo), Kevin Johns who was a long time Indiana WR's/OC under Kevin Wilson, OC at TTech with Kingsbury & was at Memphis with Norvell this season, Glenn Thomas at Baylor, Warren Ruggiero at Wake Forest, plus former HC's & current analysts in guys like Larry Fedora at Texas & Rich Rodriguez who was Ole Miss's OC for Matt Luke this season. TBH, I'm not high on Rich Rod like at all, he's obviously better than Enox, but that's not the barometer we need to judge by.

Well, here's my list for top OC's (considering others have already been hired at other teams):

Keith Heckendorf - Current OC for Ark St under Blake Anderson, he's a Larry Fedora disciple & coached alongside Seth Littrell at UNC when Marquise Williams carved us up in 2015, also was one of the main developers of Mitch Trubisky. Had Omar Bayless leading the nation in receiving yards at 1,653yds & receiving TD's with 17, plus 5th in catches. Also had Kirk Merritt with 70rec 806yds & 12TD's & had Jonathan Adams with 62rec 851yds & 5TD's as the 3rd WR in their offense. None of these guys were 4/5-star WR's coming out of HS. Is highly touted as a very smart young innovative X's & O's guy that is extremely detailed & is the next name coming up in the coaching industry as a play caller.

Rhett Lashlee -
Lashlee another Arkansas native started out as a GA under Houston Nutt & was at Auburn also an OC for Malzahn for 3 years including the year they went to the Natty against FSU. Had SMU with the 9th ranked offense in the country this season, they were 12th in passing & 41st in rushing. Obviously they got cracked in the Bowl game vs FAU, but their Offense was the main reason they won 10 games this year for the first time in 35 years since 1984. Their WR's were also among the tops in the nation in multiple categories, James Proche lead the nation in receptions.

Or, we could do like OK St did & go snatch a guy from down in the FCS for cheap while still getting high level production. Mike Gundy found Mike Yurcich from Shippensburg & hired him at OK St, he was OC under Gundy for 6 years before going to OH St this season as Passing Game Coordinator/QB's Coach & is the favorite to be the next OC at Texas. Gundy replaced Yurcich with Sean Gleeson from Princeton. Guys like Gus Malzahn, Art Briles, Chad Morris, had no prior college experience before they were hired, came straight from High school & even Tony Elliot (Clemson OC) was a FCS guy that Dabo hired from Furman.

Point being, while our fans think you can only be a good OC if you're coaching at P5 school & playing in the playoffs, there's actually some really good play callers at the lower levels of football & the good HC's are smart enough to do their due diligence & find the right guys.

With that said, some good up & coming FCS OC's are:

Zach Kittley - A young innovative up coming X's & O's coach at Houston Baptist, has HB with the 12th total offense & 3rd in passing yards for FCS. He comes from that TTech Air Raid machine, was there with Kingsbury as a GA & an assistant QB's coach during the Davis Webb/ Pat Mahomes era. Played at Abilene Christian (for those that don't know, that Abilene Christian program has produced a lot of high octane offensive coaches).

Greg Stevens - OC at Southeastern Louisiana, currently has them with the #1 ranked offense in FCS (2nd in passing offense, 12th in points per game 36.6). He's coached at Eastern Arizona, Arkansas Monticello, Stephen F Austin, Eatern Illinois (Dino Babers) & Utah St, long time coach been in it for over 27 years & has had SLU with one of the best offenses in the FCS for 5+ years now.

Ken Collums - Another Texas/Arkansas, is the current OC at Central Arkansas (same program as Mike Norvell who is also a Texas/Arkansas guy), he was also at Abilene Christian for 5 years, in fact the only two places he's ever coached was at Abilene & Central Ark, he actually coached Norvell when Norvell was a WR in his offense & hired him as a GA at Central Ark. 47 years old & is considered to be a very smart play caller.

And since LSU went & found Joe Brady from the Saints to run their offense, I figured I'd thrown in a wildcard for a NFL guy as well:

Joe Bleymaier - Is currently an Offensive QC for Andy Reid at Kansas City & was at Colorado as a for 3 years as well as an assistant QB's coach under Mike MacIntyre. But he's a Andy Reid disciple to the fullest been with him since 07/08 & is one the Passing game analysts for the Chiefs offense.

Do I think he would even realistically be a real candidate, NO, just threw him in here just for fun lol.
need to ask is Greg Stevens related to Gary Stevens if so get him.when jj left I was hoping Gary would've gotten the job he had a brilliant offensive mind.

/hope you are right

We are going to be disappointed, but giving the built in excuse of NO ONE COULD POSSIBLY WANT TO COME HERE is some nonsense.

Pay the money, evaluate the fit and make a move. There are potentially dozens of men that could make this a much better offense and there are coordinators that could save Diaz's job and win us the coastal in 2020 that would come here without question.

Advertisement
We are going to be disappointed, but giving the built in excuse of NO ONE COULD POSSIBLY WANT TO COME HERE is some nonsense.

Pay the money, evaluate the fit and make a move. There are potentially dozens of men that could make this a much better offense and there are coordinators that could save Diaz's job and win us the coastal in 2020 that would come here without question.
I have no idea what you are talking about when you say ‘excuse.’. That comment makes no sense. I’m not providing an excuse. I’m sharing an opinion. My view is this is likely pointless. Hardly an excuse - the reason it’s pointless is because he sucks so he gets no quarter for that. I’d just rather move on with a real fix rather than playing out another year of kabuki theater.

You seem to be insisting it’s not a pointless search, but when it translates into an underwhelming hire, you’re going to land on my sneakers — you’ll say they ****ed up again vs my view it was never going to happen, but who cares at that point?

I see people falling for it like they did last year. We will debate which OC Manny will pick, but he will hire another Enos calibur coach.

What has Lashlee done against good competition? Gus ran him off, so that’s a red flag. And I watched FAU ramrod him in his last game.

SMU had some pretty good veteran talent this year relative to their opponents including a lot of portal guys. When he played an FAU team with good talent and speed he got throttled.
I was there and it made my seriously question him. Shane Beuchele isn't exactly Marino out there, but even with his decisions, FAU had them figured out.

Advertisement
Back