Observations from this week vs Southern Miss

View as article
Advertisement
If you think Mario is going on the road in primetime in front of over 100,000 with a talented athletic defense, and think he is going to all of a sudden "open up" the offense I think you are mistaken.

Now we may "open up" the run game playbook, with more diversity, and we may run some different shorter type routes, but I don't think we are going to be slinging the ball all around the yard.

If you think Mario is going on the road in primetime in front of over 100,000 with a talented athletic defense, and think he is going to all of a sudden "open up" the offense I think you are mistaken.

Now we may "open up" the run game playbook, with more diversity, and we may run some different shorter type routes, but I don't think we are going to be slinging the ball all around the yard.
Exactly. The games we were supposed to open it up was bethune and southern miss. Those are stat pad games, these games are basically survive and get the W. Opening it up is basically Anez Cooper wearing the #1 jersey and having nine olineman on field for mario.. Doesnt matter if its gets stopped for no gain, wants to "iMpOsE hIs WiLl"

We don't have the horses to do what Georgia did. They're also an anomaly.
we also may never have those horses. uga recruits at another level and even w Mario, I dont think well have the resources to recruit at what they recruit at (were talking about top 3 classes basically yearly)

Advertisement
We don't have the horses to do what Georgia did. They're also an anomaly.

We will have those horses, it's what Mario was brought in for. I imagine he's setting the blueprint now.

And yes they were an anomaly, and hopefully not the only one.

You can't have a vaunted defense like Georgia's was, and also have some pass happy spread attack. It's even more of an anomaly to have a big time defense coupled with that. Mario also believes that statement from what I've heard.

I personally like the offense because it benefits the defense, it's like time of possession is now some lost art.

This O doesn’t fit anyone & is absolutely miserable to watch. If Mario is willing to do anything to win here like most think it will change & change this week. If not it’s a major red flag. No other way around it.
The running backs are playing good. The receivers are getting open and catching the ball when thrown to them. The only problem we have is TVD not seeing the field and locking in on one receiver. Just say YOU don't like this offense.

The running backs are playing good. The receivers are getting open and catching the ball when thrown to them. The only problem we have is TVD not seeing the field and locking in on one receiver. Just say YOU don't like this offense.
I don’t like it at all. It doesn’t fit what we have right now. In a few years when the oline is beefed up then I think it could be great.

Advertisement

I kinda think we are going to open up the offense. You don't shackle your Heisman candidate quarterback in the biggest game of the season. Even Gattis knows that.

I think we will continue to run, but they're going to turn him loose next week.

I kinda think we are going to open up the offense. You don't shackle your Heisman candidate quarterback in the biggest game of the season. Even Gattis knows that.

I think we will continue to run, but they're going to turn him loose next week.
Maybe, but App State just went into college station and ran the ball, possessed the ball a lot, shorter passes, kept chains moving, and walked out with a win.

It was a Mario type game. Now we think Mario is going to watch that, and say forget it, let's air it out baby? Im not so sure.

Advertisement
Finally got around to a rewatch

TVD was just really off

Coaches knew it and ran more, plus the first 2 games against cupcakes/inferior teams, Mario is trying to establish and identify who can play on the OL

Boring game overall. Southern Miss played to not make mistakes, just quick jump balls to their athletic receivers. They made some very good catches even in almost perfect coverages

Need to clean up the middle of the field on defense, get more pressure/sacks from the edges, but overall we have some studs in TS, LT, JW, X, etc.

I'd expect the opposite, but who knows. I'm actually thankful he had a few extremely late looks and throws (man, that called-back INT will pop out at him on film). I expect them to clean that **** up immediately. Whatever we paid Southern Miss for their travel, we should give them an 18% tip for accelerating TVD's development this season.
****, this is a really good point and I hadn’t thought about it that way. We haven’t seen TVD struggle like that since his first two games, aside from only that first half against FSU. But we saw how he turned around and adjusted after they came out of the locker room.

Advertisement
Georgia just did
Not exactly. They may not run any kind of air-raid, but they were a very balanced offense last season. Not exactly 3-4 yards in a cloud of dust. In fact, I believe they had the most efficient offense in the SEC and one of the best in the nation. For all the flak Stetson Bennett got, he threw for nearly 3k yards and averaged 27 pass attempts per game.

Either way, it also helps that they have landed a top 4 (with a couple #1s mixed in) class every year Kirby has been there. We have more talent than most of FBS, but the talent gap between the top 3-4 schools and the rest of CFB is shockingly large. Long, long way to go.

Maybe, but App State just went into college station and ran the ball, possessed the ball a lot, shorter passes, kept chains moving, and walked out with a win.

It was a Mario type game. Now we think Mario is going to watch that, and say forget it, let's air it out baby? Im not so sure.
The biggest weapon on our team is TVD. We're going to try and establish the run. If it works, we'll run until they stop it, but TA&M is not going to let us ram the ball down their throat all night. Even if App .st was able to do it. I expect a higher degree of motivation for us. Also their offense should put some pressure on our offense.

If we can run it on them all night, we will spank them. 17-20pt win maybe

I HATE stubborn coaches, praying Gattis isn't one. IDGAF what your playbook is, go back and find the top 5-8 passing plays from Lash last year that worked well for TVD and then COPY + PASTE. It's not complicated.

Example - why is there no RPO crossing slant play? It worked ALL last year. Throw it it 3-5 times per game. ETC.

This is why we think he is holding back. Gattis LOVES rpo and TVD is good at it. Yet, no rpo.

So what makes more sense? Gattis is holding the best stuff back or he has abandoned plays that he has teaching videos on and beams with excitement explaining?

I am with yo on implementing some plays from last year though.

This is why we think he is holding back. Gattis LOVES rpo and TVD is good at it. Yet, no rpo.

So what makes more sense? Gattis is holding the best stuff back or he has abandoned plays that he has teaching videos on and beams with excitement explaining?

I am with yo on implementing some plays from last year though.
Will Gattis unleash TVD to show his stuff..........we shall see but I think it just may happen....
The audience is there, and he will get some of that respect and pub back that the doubters are throwing out there when he lights up the game..........you just might have a good point.

Advertisement
Back