Observations about Clemson

mikegrinder

Recruit
As I was watching Clemson struggle with putting Virginia way for three quarters. I saw a head coach magnifying every mistake his players were making. I know the importance of the game at hand. What I witnessed was a average offensive line. Above-average wide receiver play. Defensive line that didn't create much pressure at times. Linebackers and the back end average. The only thing that stood out was the quarterback and running back. That the Virginia Defense was not able to tackle good enough and keep up with plays after the catch. I give them a C+

Advertisement
That Virginia quarterback could not really make accurate throws at times. When he did make accurate throws he was moving the ball on Clemson, what I saw was not that impressive on either side of the ball for Clemson

Not criticizing OP, I honestly can’t keep it straight. Are there multiple Mikes posting random hot takes?

Advertisement
With Clemson's offense i wonder how much of a factor was former Co-OC/Wr coach Jeff Scott! Because their offense only rely on two skill players (Rodgers/Etienne) their compared to the other years whereas they had alot of options. I think he was more than just that!

Booth is a real good CB
other than that the LB and safeties seem slow.
the OP is correct in that there was limited pressure
whenever they got pressure it was a blitz as they were unable to do it just rushing their base 3 dline

With Clemson's offense i wonder how much of a factor was former Co-OC/Wr coach Jeff Scott! Because their offense only rely on two skill players (Rodgers/Etienne) their compared to the other years whereas they had alot of options. I think he was more than just that!
Those are the dependable returning players, they lost Higgins to NFL and were planning on depending on Ross also heavily but he missed season with spine injury. Ngata was next man up but he has been injured and tried to come back last night but might have been nicked again.. Ladson is supposed to be an upcomer and their TE another person that atleast the fans talk about but has yet to make a major impact..

Those are the dependable returning players, they lost Higgins to NFL and were planning on depending on Ross also heavily but he missed season with spine injury. Ngata was next man up but he has been injured and tried to come back last night but might have been nicked again.. Ladson is supposed to be an upcomer and their TE another person that atleast the fans talk about but has yet to make a major impact..
Duh! I know what they lost and what they have. But i believe Jeff Scott was the key to the passing game. Because when you have Co-Coordinator's one is in charge of run game and the other one is passing game coordinator.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Clemson’s CBs are very good IMO. Don’t love that matchup against our WRs at all, but we can exploit other matchups. Also, it’s an opportunity for our WRs to step up.
Both their cornerbacks are the best players on their defense right now and it is not even close. I'd split our wideouts and keep their corners on an island. I don't think they have an athlete that can cover Rooster or Cam on swing passes nor do they have a linebacker who can spy King. If Arstrong had 88 yards on 22 carries, then King is going to have a huge game with his feet.

The Virginia defense put Clemson in several 3rd and long but Clemson broke tackles to get 1st downs, we cannot allow that and expect to win. Tackling is the clue to who wins the game, Clemson deserves to be number one though, they remind me of our great teams as their expectations are on winning regardless of their opponent. We CAN win but we have to play flawlessly, I won't put any money on that though

I hope people are not saying Clemson is playing vanilla against Virginia because they are running same plays they ran against Lsu in championship game. The key is the O Line is different and the playmakers at receiver which could have everyone thinking they are being vanilla.

If our defense plays at their best, we'll carpe the **** out if that diem.

Advertisement
Virginia had a gameplan to let their qb, who is slower than rich eisen running in mud, run the ball 22 times with many being designed qb runs... let that sink in and he still ran for 89 yards. They shot themselves in the foot numerous times including multiple terrible interceptions one being an underthrown ball to a 7 foot tall receiver. Idk but I sure didnt come away from that game thinking clemson is better than us but Saturday gonna be here soon for us to find out

I hope people are not saying Clemson is playing vanilla against Virginia because they are running same plays they ran against Lsu in championship game. The key is the O Line is different and the playmakers at receiver which could have everyone thinking they are being vanilla.

yep, they are a read zone/quick read team and Trevor has the green light to tuck it and run whenever he wants. Makes it tough for the DL to apply heat abs you’ll want to stay disciplined bc they’ll get chunks of yards. I’m ok sitting in a zone and keep TL and etienne contained but we typically suck at zone.0

That Clemson's defense from last year had safeties(Muse and Simmons) in at linebackers which put lot of speed on the field in which Venables could call those blitzes. This year they have to use true linebackers because of inexperienced players. So i believe they will still call blitzes but play more coverage and hopes that the defensive lines gets in.

Advertisement
I don’t get too up & down on one game by a notoriously consistent team.

****; if we looked at Clemson last season against UNC, no one would have had them in the Nat’l title game. They came back the following week & absolutely mauled FSU. We just need to take care of our biz & play our game, but pls do not read too much into Clemson’s lackluster effort against UVA.

yep, they are a read zone/quick read team and Trevor has the green light to tuck it and run whenever he wants. Makes it tough for the DL to apply heat abs you’ll want to stay disciplined bc they’ll get chunks of yards. I’m ok sitting in a zone and keep TL and etienne contained but we typically suck at zone.0

I crash on Etienne every time, have the LB/S responsible for Lawrence. If he wants to run, let him. It gives this D a chance to light him up, make him sore or tired. That shows up in passes later in the game. Maybe Carter will get a knockout shot on him.

Funny everyone thinks Clem was lackluster against UVA, but that game was never in doubt. Every time we play UVA it's a total dog fight that usually comes down to the last possession.

Clem is better than us and more talented than us and wins 12 or 13 games every year. We will need to play a great game and probably need some help from them to win. We can win the game, but it'll be a huge upset if we do.

I crash on Etienne every time, have the LB/S responsible for Lawrence. If he wants to run, let him. It gives this D a chance to light him up, make him sore or tired. That shows up in passes later in the game. Maybe Carter will get a knockout shot on him.
He's a tough kid too who like to take on tacklers, so that might not bode too well for him if Carter gets a chance to line him up.

Advertisement
Back