O-line as a group

Interior pass blocking and blitz pick up needs work but I was impressed with the online given the circumstances and previous play.

We needed 1 yard and they blew the hole open for a td.

Runs bounced outside for gains are still a credit to the online so kill that noise too

agreed, and in particular Mallory who had difficulty blocking last year. here he held his block very well.

Advertisement
agreed, and in particular Mallory who had difficulty blocking last year. here he held his block very well.
Facts! Its a first down but a reduced gain if he doesn't sustain that block.

We couldn't run when teams knew we were going to run for the last few years even against the central Michigan's and LA techs.

Not going to see that and discredit these boys

On the OBB post game podcast, Roman said he watched the tape and Oline was excellent. King had self inflicted pressures and receivers didn’t get open. Go listen so You don’t think I’m full of crap. If I miss quoted let me know but Indont think I did. Lashlee is a Heavy spread run guy that learned air raid under dykes for two years. I haven’t seen us run on anybody in years. I loved it. I believe it’s a good foundation to build on. I was proud of how clean we played in Terms of not calling timeouts for lack of knowing what to do..don’t think we called one At all over the entire game. We the the passing going too and we will be rolling. I’m happy with our Oline👍

It's a funny game sometimes. The guy I felt the best about coming into the game (Scaife), probably had the worst night. I still think Scaife is a quality lineman and I think we'll look back and just chalk this performance up to "one of those nights" but it's something to keep an eye on. Maybe he reached a comfort level at tackle and is now better suited there?

I'm not worried about the O-line. Between King's ability to break the pocket, the tempo, and what looks like a competent play caller.....they'll be fine. I said before the season I thought this unit would VASTLY outperform expectations and I still feel that way.

I just re-watched the game with a focus on the OL. Scaife had a really hard time multiple times last night. He struggled when 1 on 1 with the UAB giant DT. I'm sure Lashlee will see that and try to put him on the move more. On one screen play, all he had to do was hold his block and he took an L. Bit surprising given all his previous work. Maybe just a bad game.

To be fair, Gaynor struggled against their size, too. I pushed back on the Gaynor hype years ago. I just hope he's a steadying force going forward. It was one game. And, he previously has struggled more with quickness than size.

I think that UAB DL is a bit underrated. Was a good first game test for our guys. We shall see.
UAB has talent, alot of transfers up front like Jordan Smith (UF) dude is like 6'7, Kelle Sanders was at Wash ST is 6'6 rush end, and they have really good defensive coach who will probably move up.. Yea Scaife got worked bad, on alot of plays was last out of his stance too or last to make contact

Also we need to keep in mind we ran into TEETH of 4i tite defense that is designed to stop inside zone read plays, they could execute it to perfection with that type of size and length.. I dont think they wanted to show much.. Because there are counters for everything and we didnt really do any

https://www.bigblueview.com/2020/6/...how-to-beat-it-giants-patrick-graham-analysis

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2...-favorite-defense-4i-tech-4-0-4-georgia-texas

Advertisement
UAB has talent, alot of transfers up front like Jordan Smith (UF) dude is like 6'7, Kelle Sanders was at Wash ST is 6'6 rush end, and they have really good defensive coach who will probably move up.. Yea Scaife got worked bad, on alot of plays was last out of his stance too or last to make contact

Also we need to keep in mind we ran into TEETH of 4i tite defense that is designed to stop inside zone read plays, they could execute it to perfection with that type of size and length.. I dont think they wanted to show much.. Because there are counters for everything and we didnt really do any

https://www.bigblueview.com/2020/6/...how-to-beat-it-giants-patrick-graham-analysis

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2...-favorite-defense-4i-tech-4-0-4-georgia-texas
I mentioned the counters on my game "observations" thread. Post 41, Page three here: https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/plays-that-excited-me-plays-that-scared-me.163093/page-3

I can't clearly remember much outside zone. I remember we actioned (but didn't execute) a jet sweep with Pope. I didn't see any of the usual misdirections Lashlee showed last year or in other stops. It really felt like the goal was to test our physicality - both from endurance (almost 80 plays) and strength (IZ) aspects.

Half of the times, the OL was getting sliced and diced, leaking like a sieve... with King running for his life. ... thank goodness we had a 4th year mobile QB.

... the other few times they were pushing the interior of the line 5 feet into the hole...

heck, a couple of times I even saw our interior lineman chasing behind the DT like paparazzi after the royals

3rd year in a row... soft OL

Was impressed with what I saw from the tackles. Campbell and Williams anchored the line well. Scaife disappointed me a bit as I saw him reaching and flailing. Not sure what was up with him.

Truth be told, they played against a very solid defense and fared well for a first game. Need to continue to improve and become more stout, though. Very good yards on the ground but need to improve the 3rd down conversions.
Scaife and Gaynor might be our worst 2 starters.

I try to watch a replay after every game where I just watch the ol, I’m intrigued to watch the interior. A lot of the pressure was coming from inside , which Is disappointing. Teams are going to crowd the box and date us to pass , which means the ol and wr’s have to perform better. It’s only one game so I won’t take too much from it.
I think Jordan is the tonic for that particular ailment.

Teams aren't going to want to single cover him - he'll have a field day.

Advertisement
I mentioned the counters on my game "observations" thread. Post 41, Page three here: https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/plays-that-excited-me-plays-that-scared-me.163093/page-3

I can't clearly remember much outside zone. I remember we actioned (but didn't execute) a jet sweep with Pope. I didn't see any of the usual misdirections Lashlee showed last year or in other stops. It really felt like the goal was to test our physicality - both from endurance (almost 80 plays) and strength (IZ) aspects.
Yea I have only watched a lil bit here and there of replay but it felt like we ran IZ 40 times straight, no barely any misdirection anything.. Just straight into teeth of defense geared to stop it.. I expect loaded boxes all season if we can complete passes down field

OL struggled with blitzes up the middle. Not sure if it’s D’Eriq fault for not point them out or what. They also got a little gassed with tempo at the end of both half’s. They did look better than I thought but still a ways to go

1599867247258.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back