O-line as a group

Silver King

Pass Block
First off, how nice was it seeing a Cam Harris highlight reel run not called back for a flag? I know I was worrying heavy, the minute he popped free.

There were things that concerned me, and times I saw improvement – but three huge things:

• Given the new system, new Q cadence, using some hurry-up, they showed great snap count discipline and played clean: I think even the announcers were saying how UAB, with all those procedure calls didn’t look like the team on the field that already played a game.
  • Their first time out of the box they broke last year’s rushing record by (80 yards) against what one analyst said might be one of the strongest run stopping D-lines Miami faces this regular season. They had some big run stoppers that they wore down with pace, and our guys fared better. Yeah, I know there were two big runs, but we had a lot of that erased by penalties last year – and that yardage stats don’t distinguish – they piled up yardage like they should of against a lessor opponent that was probably better than 2, possibly 3 teams we lost to last season.
  • Our OTs looked much quicker popping back into pass protection, used reach well.
Sacks were helped because we have an escape artist back their rather than someone posing like a statue (that went down as quick as real ones these days). They missed some blitzes and it’s a good thing UAB #50 was gassed by half. King will help immensely bit our 3rd down conversion numbers have to be better (But new offense, 1st game).

I’m cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Was impressed with what I saw from the tackles. Campbell and Williams anchored the line well. Scaife disappointed me a bit as I saw him reaching and flailing. Not sure what was up with him.

Truth be told, they played against a very solid defense and fared well for a first game. Need to continue to improve and become more stout, though. Very good yards on the ground but need to improve the 3rd down conversions.

First off, how nice was it seeing a Cam Harris highlight reel run not called back for a flag? I know I was worrying heavy, the minute he popped free.

There were things that concerned me, and times I saw improvement – but three huge things:

• Given the new system, new Q cadence, using some hurry-up, they showed great snap count discipline and played clean: I think even the announcers were saying how UAB, with all those procedure calls didn’t look like the team on the field that already played a game.
  • Their first time out of the box they broke last year’s rushing record by (80 yards) against what one analyst said might be one of the strongest run stopping D-lines Miami faces this regular season. They had some big run stoppers that they wore down with pace, and our guys fared better. Yeah, I know there were two big runs, but we had a lot of that erased by penalties last year – and that yardage stats don’t distinguish – they piled up yardage like they should of against a lessor opponent that was probably better than 2, possibly 3 teams we lost to last season.
  • Our OTs looked much quicker popping back into pass protection, used reach well.
Sacks were helped because we have an escape artist back their rather than someone posing like a statue (that went down as quick as real ones these days). They missed some blitzes and it’s a good thing UAB #50 was gassed by half. King will help immensely bit our 3rd down conversion numbers have to be better (But new offense, 1st game).

I’m cautiously optimistic.
Man, i had a totally different take, and I'm not a negative canes fan.. I'm thinking we're in trouble when we face a real Dline with 4-5star talent.. I have a hard time processing how our entire Online made up of 3-4star talent, struggles against maybe 0-2star talent. If we didn't have 3 really good RB's we would of been in trouble last night.. I applaud them for a pretty clean game penalty wise, and it wasn't like UF game last year of sack city, but ****, once we play the big boys, we gotta lessen the QB pressure and make some holes...

*I'll also give them a pass on the poor play calling of up the middle runs following big plays... total momentum killer

Screenshot_20200911-112125_Chrome.jpg

OL PFF Grade

Advertisement
You ****** don't know ****...I'll just leave it at that

Advertisement
Was impressed with what I saw from the tackles. Campbell and Williams anchored the line well. Scaife disappointed me a bit as I saw him reaching and flailing. Not sure what was up with him.

Truth be told, they played against a very solid defense and fared well for a first game. Need to continue to improve and become more stout, though. Very good yards on the ground but need to improve the 3rd down conversions.

I try to watch a replay after every game where I just watch the ol, I’m intrigued to watch the interior. A lot of the pressure was coming from inside , which Is disappointing. Teams are going to crowd the box and date us to pass , which means the ol and wr’s have to perform better. It’s only one game so I won’t take too much from it.

I try to watch a replay after every game where I just watch the ol, I’m intrigued to watch the interior. A lot of the pressure was coming from inside , which Is disappointing. Teams are going to crowd the box and date us to pass , which means the ol and wr’s have to perform better. It’s only one game so I won’t take too much from it.
that was the least amount of yellow flags against our OL in a long time lol

Advertisement
Interesting to see the PFF scores, but the film does not lie. The OL must improve exponentially if we are to achieve the goals that we think this team can reach.

Gaynor and Scaife looked awful on some of the plays last night. Gaynor in particular seemed to be getting pushed around.

As others have stated, King is an absolute Houdini. He saved the OL’s butts on multiple occasions. I think his passing will definitely improve as the season goes on. People forget that he barely played football last year. He’s got some rust to shake off.

Interesting to see the PFF scores, but the film does not lie. The OL must improve exponentially if we are to achieve the goals that we think this team can reach.

Gaynor and Scaife looked awful on some of the plays last night. Gaynor in particular seemed to be getting pushed around.

As others have stated, King is an absolute Houdini. He saved the OL’s butts on multiple occasions. I think his passing will definitely improve as the season goes on. People forget that he barely played football last year. He’s got some rust to shake off.
some of kings decisions caused those situations. it wasnt all on them.
Gaynor is like Ivy and a few others that were hyped on this board but limited.

Advertisement
Scaife whiffed on at least 4-5 blocks that i saw on the replay.
I just re-watched the game with a focus on the OL. Scaife had a really hard time multiple times last night. He struggled when 1 on 1 with the UAB giant DT. I'm sure Lashlee will see that and try to put him on the move more. On one screen play, all he had to do was hold his block and he took an L. Bit surprising given all his previous work. Maybe just a bad game.

To be fair, Gaynor struggled against their size, too. I pushed back on the Gaynor hype years ago. I just hope he's a steadying force going forward. It was one game. And, he previously has struggled more with quickness than size.

I think that UAB DL is a bit underrated. Was a good first game test for our guys. We shall see.

Last edited:
Man, i had a totally different take, and I'm not a negative canes fan.. I'm thinking we're in trouble when we face a real Dline with 4-5star talent.. I have a hard time processing how our entire Online made up of 3-4star talent, struggles against maybe 0-2star talent. If we didn't have 3 really good RB's we would of been in trouble last night.. I applaud them for a pretty clean game penalty wise, and it wasn't like UF game last year of sack city, but ****, once we play the big boys, we gotta lessen the QB pressure and make some holes...

*I'll also give them a pass on the poor play calling of up the middle runs following big plays... total momentum killer
I'll say it again, this was a big, run oriented D-Line. It doesn't matter how many stars a 300+ pound run stopper has - he's hard to move. I was listening to (I think) College Game Day and heard someone claim this may be one of the best "run stopping" D-lines we face regular season.

I'll take this effort that eclipsed the best rushing game we had ALL LAST SEASON, than be yakking about sacks like last year. Last year all we talked about was how bad the O-Line was, how we needed to establish a running game - the yardage says we've taken some steps in the right direction. Here's what Lance Roffers said in his preview about UAB DL:

Defensive Line-

Tony Fair #90- Big fella is the NT at 6-3, 335 pounds. Experienced RS Senior who is solid against the run and tries to keep the LB’s clean. He offers nothing in the pass rush department. He’s just a guy.

Fish McWilliams #99- Another wide body on the interior at 6’, 315 pounds, the RS Soph. is a decent player. Mostly a run stuffer.

Alex Wright #16- A nice looking athlete at 6-7, 260 the So. Uses his length well and has a quick first step. He can play.

Jordan Smith #22- Both their outside rushers are long at 6-7 and 260 pounds. He’s also quick and plays an attacking, upfield style. Nice player.

I just re-watched the game with a focus on the OL. Scaife had a really hard time multiple times last night. He struggled when 1 on 1 with the UAB giant DT. I'm sure Lashlee will see that and try to put him on the move more. On one screen play, all he had to do was hold his block and he took an L. Bit surprising given all his previous work. Maybe just a bad game.

To be fair, Gaynor struggled against their size, too. I pushed back on the Gaynor hype years ago. I just hope he's a steadying force going forward. It was one game. And, he previously has struggled more with quickness than size.

I think that UAB DL is a bit underrated. Was a good first game test for our guys. We shall see.

I’m about to do my ol watch replay but I already know the interior had a bad day at the office. All the pressure was inside.

Advertisement
Back