Nysier Brooks

Big get. Big time defender.

Another proven big would be good; don't see Brooks getting a waiver

Advertisement
If Brooks isn't eligible this year, Rodney Miller might go down as the biggest laughingstock in school history. Don't play at all your first two years, be forced to redshirt your junior year, then get recruited over your senior year. How many Ls can one man make take?

That said, I still don't see any way Brooks or the staff make this move unless they both think he's playing this year. Maybe the athletic department knows something following Tate's waiver.

If Brooks isn't eligible this year, Rodney Miller might go down as the biggest laughingstock in school history. Don't play at all your first two years, be forced to redshirt your junior year, then get recruited over your senior year. How many Ls can one man make take?

That said, I still don't see any way Brooks or the staff make this move unless they both think he's playing this year. Maybe the athletic department knows something following Tate's waiver.

I see your Rodney Miller and raise you a Fabio Nass

Advertisement
It's called taking a big gamble. Some pay off, most don't. On big men, especially, Miami Basketball is hardly a "buyer's market." Why I can't fault Coach L for taking a "flyer" on Miller.

Based on the news release UM gave out, I don't think they are pursuing a waiver for Brooks.
****. This is beginning to make zero sense for either party.

UM knows it still needs a big man for this season. There are a lot of eligible guys quickly coming off the transfer market. Why go after a sit one play one guy if you aren't going to at least fight for him to get a waiver?

And I understand Brooks was well connected to Cronin, but why transfer at age 22 to sit out a year, only to play just one more season at a different school? By the time he'll be done playing college bball, he's going to be 24.

Last edited:
Advertisement

UM knows it still needs a big man for this season. There are a lot of eligible guys quickly coming off the transfer market. Why go after a sit one play one guy if you aren't going to at least fight for him to get a waiver?

And I understand Brooks was well connected to Cronin, but why transfer at age 22 to sit out a year, only to play just one more season at a different school? By the time he'll be done playing college bball, he's going to be 24.
Just like Kenny Kadji. We can only hope he's that good.

I will take a 24 year old big man any day of the week. It doesn't make sense for him, but its a big advantage for us.

I honestly think L is ready to take lumps this year and be ready for next season when the guys are a bit older. Therefore, he’s gonna take this guy and mold him for a year

Advertisement
I honestly think L is ready to take lumps this year and be ready for next season when the guys are a bit older. Therefore, he’s gonna take this guy and mold him for a year

I am a fan of Coach L and I have shown a lot of support for him and his staff since he has arrived on campus. Unfortunately, in this world of college basketball we are in, a coach cannot afford to "take lumps this year". I am not being sarcastic or disrespectful but two straight losing seasons and not making the NCAA tournament is almost a deathwish. Regardless of the years left on your contract, coaches will get replaced especially if some mid major coach has a really good year and is interested in the job.

It would be best for Coach L and staff to sign two more grad transfers, get a waiver for Brooks, win 20 plus games, compete for the ACC championship, make the NCAA tournament and win a NCAA tournament game before people start turning on them.

I am not saying I will be one of those people but they are out there. Waiting for their opportunity. All programs have them.

I am a fan of Coach L and I have shown a lot of support for him and his staff since he has arrived on campus. Unfortunately, in this world of college basketball we are in, a coach cannot afford to "take lumps this year". I am not being sarcastic or disrespectful but two straight losing seasons and not making the NCAA tournament is almost a deathwish. Regardless of the years left on your contract, coaches will get replaced especially if some mid major coach has a really good year and is interested in the job.

It would be best for Coach L and staff to sign two more grad transfers, get a waiver for Brooks, win 20 plus games, compete for the ACC championship, make the NCAA tournament and win a NCAA tournament game before people start turning on them.

I am not saying I will be one of those people but they are out there. Waiting for their opportunity. All programs have them.
I agree in most situations, but he’s at a place where he’s brought the most relevance to the program that it’s ever had so he gets a longer rope than most guys. Which is why I think he’s showing for an upperclassman heavy team in a year to make a run

[/QUOTE
Absolutely zero chance Coach L is going anywhere until the end of his contract in 2023. His seat isn't even warm

Advertisement
I agree in most situations, but he’s at a place where he’s brought the most relevance to the program that it’s ever had so he gets a longer rope than most guys. Which is why I think he’s showing for an upperclassman heavy team in a year to make a run

Actually, if Coach L and staff uses the last two scholarships on two grad transfers and gets Nysier Brooks a waiver then the basketball team will have 5 seniors and 4 juniors on the 2019-20 roster. Coach L always does better with older teams so why does he need to wait a year and take lumps?

You can take lumps and win while making a run at the NCAA tournament. You have to be able to take lumps and win in the same year.

Expectations have always been low for the basketball and Coach L has raised them but don't mistake that as a free pass to revert back to losing. Once expectations have been raised then the expectation is maintain the new level of success or take the next step.

Consecutive losing seasons will make people think that the Coach L run has maxed out. It would be best for everyone that Coach L and staff add two grad transfers, get Brooks a waiver so he plays this season and make the NCAA tournament so those questions don't come up and those questions don't need to be answered.

It is easier to make warm water hot than it is to cool warm water.

Expectations have always been low for the basketball and Coach L has raised them but don't mistake that as a free pass to revert back to losing. Once expectations have been raised then the expectation is maintain the new level of success or take the next step.

Consecutive losing seasons will make people think that the Coach L run has maxed out. It would be best for everyone that Coach L and staff add two grad transfers, get Brooks a waiver so he plays this season and make the NCAA tournament so those questions don't come up and those questions don't need to be answered.

The only one that matters is Blake James.

Advertisement
Back