Numbers Outlook: Offense

Advertisement
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

With Lane and Cook, just win baby. I still think if Lane leaves Miami it's for Bama. If he goes to UF then I didn't want him anyways because that would just not be a smart decision. At least it's understandable why he would go to Bama.

Since we're talking numbers, how many guys are we taking total, including EE's?

]I agree with Peter and said so 4 days ago in my post. Here are my numbers analysis -- about 28 to 30.

"Start with 19 Seniors (incl. O'Donnell). We will play 2013 with about 80 Scholie players. [Aprox].
Subtracting the 19 Seniors from 80 leaves room for about 24 in 2014 cycle. But, we will only have about 20-21 incoming against the 2013 cycle (counting Derosier, Gilbert & O'Donnell), less the number of EEs from last January who were back-charged against 2012.(Only staff knows).
Therefore, we will be able to back-charge about 5 EEs this coming January against the 2013 cycle. Note, this assumes only 80 Scholie players this upcoming season because 85 is a 'hard' ceiling.
Again, assuming the above, that leaves room for about 29 players, plus expected attrition following 2014 Spring practice.
I would expect at least 2 QBs (Crow & Dewey) to transfer elsewhere, as they should be behind Olsen, Williams, Lassiter & 2 0r 3 other incoming recruits, who will probably be here for Spring Practice.) That would allow for about 31 openings, plus any other attrition which usually occurs. Let's guess just 2 more, leaving 33 slots.
Of course, there is a possibility that those numbers might be reduced by NCAA punative action, but we should know that by mid-September or October.
Assuming about 3 schollie reduction by NCAA, we would have about 28-30 available openings according to the above.
Also assuming that all 'committed' recruits stick (tough assumption), we now have 20 commits, plus Berios, who I consider a 'silent', or the equiviaient. Also, we must factor in Lockley and Griffin, against those numbers, assuming they don't qualify in September, but do in January.
Bottom line --- we have room for about 7 to 8 more guys. One less if Nigel Patton-Bethel commits as expected on Monday.
The train has most seats full and is pullin' out o' de station. I expect that we will have all but 3 or 4 spots filled by October 1.
Here is my analysis of the number available at each position. But remember, just as i qualified all of the above numbers with the word, about, so too the following numbers are flexible. If we take more at one position, another position must suffer.
----------
DT - 1-2 of (Clark, Holley,C. Johnson, Lamins)
DE - 1-2 of (C.Thomas, L.Carter,?)
RB - 2 of (Cook/Powell/?)
WR -2-3 of (Lane, Dixon, Brady, Randolph, JoJo)
DB - 2 of (T.Harris/Lammons/ Patton/ Kiy Hester)
LB - 1 (V.Jackson)
S - 1 of ( Gayot, Dudley-Gordon)
TE- 1 (Pierce)
OG - 1 of (Knox, Wynn)
One additional caveat --- Remember that Al looks everywhere - everywhere - and is relentless in pursuit of talent. I'm sure he has someone up his sleeve we are not even aware of."

Last edited:
Since we're talking numbers, how many guys are we taking total, including EE's?

]I agree with Peter and said so 4 days ago in my post. Here are my numbers analysis -- about 28 to 30.

"Start with 19 Seniors (incl. O'Donnell). We will play 2013 with about 80 Scholie players. [Aprox].
Subtracting the 19 Seniors from 80 leaves room for about 24 in 2014 cycle. But, we will only have about 20-21 incoming against the 2013 cycle (counting Derosier, Gilbert & O'Donnell), less the number of EEs from last January who were back-charged against 2012.(Only staff knows).
Therefore, we will be able to back-charge about 5 EEs this coming January against the 2013 cycle. Note, this assumes only 80 Scholie players this upcoming season because 85 is a 'hard' ceiling.
Again, assuming the above, that leaves room for about 29 players, plus expected attrition following 2014 Spring practice.
I would expect at least 2 QBs (Crow & Dewey) to transfer elsewhere, as they should be behind Olsen, Williams, Lassiter & 2 0r 3 other incoming recruits, who will probably be here for Spring Practice.) That would allow for about 31 openings, plus any other attrition which usually occurs. Let's guess just 2 more, leaving 33 slots.
Of course, there is a possibility that those numbers might be reduced by NCAA punative action, but we should know that by mid-September or October.
Assuming about 3 schollie reduction by NCAA, we would have about 28-30 available openings according to the above.
Also assuming that all 'committed' recruits stick (tough assumption), we now have 20 commits, plus Berios, who I consider a 'silent', or the equiviaient. Also, we must factor in Lockley and Griffin, against those numbers, assuming they don't qualify in September, but do in January.
Bottom line --- we have room for about 7 to 8 more guys. One less if Nigel Patton-Bethel commits as expected on Monday.
The train has most seats full and is pullin' out o' de station. I expect that we will have all but 3 or 4 spots filled by October 1.
Here is my analysis of the number available at each position. But remember, just as i qualified all of the above numbers with the word, about, so too the following numbers are flexible. If we take more at one position, another position must suffer.
----------
DT - 1-2 of (Clark, Holley,C. Johnson, Lamins)
DE - 1-2 of (C.Thomas, L.Carter,?)
RB - 2 of (Cook/Powell/?)
WR -2-3 of (Lane, Dixon, Brady, Randolph, JoJo)
DB - 2 of (T.Harris/Lammons/ Patton/ Kiy Hester)
LB - 1 (V.Jackson)
S - 1 of ( Gayot, Dudley-Gordon)
TE- 1 (Pierce)
OG - 1 of (Knox, Wynn)
One additional caveat --- Remember that Al looks everywhere - everywhere - and is relentless in pursuit of talent. I'm sure he has someone up his sleeve we are not even aware of."

Excellent response... Thanks and Go Canes!

im not surprised at lane he looks like one of those guys who will pick whatever looks best on NSD and by then we should have 3 locked. i would imagine we go over one for him

Advertisement
Pete,
Langham is committed, a Dixon commit is looking strong, as is Berrios. If those 3 are committed and Rudolph or Lane want to commit do we take 4?

Pete,
Langham is committed, a Dixon commit is looking strong, as is Berrios. If those 3 are committed and Rudolph or Lane want to commit do we take 4?

Probably not, because remember, you gotta add in Griffin, as well.

I thought someone said they are looking to put Griffin at a TE-Hybrid role.

I could be making that up lol

IMHO, If Lane or Rudolph wants in, we take em. Regardless of numbers. Al and Co. are smart enough to make the numbers work. We WILL NOT turn away that kind of talent!

Advertisement
Pete,

What is your grade on our projected class on the offensive side of the ball?

To me, it seems VERY strong at QB and OL, strong at WR, and decent at RB. I would give it a B+, because I do think that losing Cook / Michel and Lane breaks our balls.

im just happy we are not waiting til NSD again lane, TR, sony, cook, moten, clark are all very big WANTS but not to say they are needs

im just happy we are not waiting til NSD again lane, TR, sony, cook, moten, clark are all very big WANTS but not to say they are needs

Think of the incredible job Golden and crew are doing. If a few months ago, someone would have told us that all of those players might not be Canes, there would have been a huge meltdown. I think we are also sending a message that going forward, you need to get on the train or you are going to be left behind.

Advertisement
I wouldnt be surprised if we brought in 4 wide receivers in this class.

Im guessing 28-30 total in this class with the assumption that 26-17 will actually get in, show up and begin classes at UM.

I will say this, the QB class is key here. I'm not sold on Olsen, and this class we need to--and we are, as of right now--bring in a stable of legit top-end QBs. It's all about the QB in college football on offense.

Im guessing 28-30 total in this class with the assumption that 26-17 will actually get in, show up and begin classes at UM.

I think we bring in 4 too, one of them being griffin. If we bring in 4 HS receivers I think one will end up being switched as soon as he steps on campus.

Advertisement
Brandon Powell? Id bet we end up with two RBs...

He is extremely solid to Tennessee. I've talked to two different people close to him who don't see him de-committing.

How can that be for a kid that is high on Academics considering Tenn is about to get introuble for lack of Academic Progress. UM needs to flip this kid and he will be an EE so then need to press the issue.

Go Canes

I think we bring in 4 too, one of them being griffin. If we bring in 4 HS receivers I think one will end up being switched as soon as he steps on campus.

I think Griffin plays the Jimmy Graham spot here as a Flex TE. Griffin should be 6'6 245-250 easy here.. I think Jojo would be a good CB here.

We gotta get some security cameras, Gaytors and FSU stealing some BIG ticket merchandise we need to exceed our projections. What is the story why the Gaytors have what I would say huge success pulling cats out of our yard? What and Who are the forces working against us? Will winning change things? Big crowds? or all of the above?

Serious props Pete. Nice work. This makes up for those ****** interviews you and the other fellas have been producing! D$ is putting it over the top with his top 25 in Dade posts.

Everyone keeps saying Griffin to TE, but we will see. I still think he could be a nasty WR. Its tough to just say a big kid will fit right in at TE...its a completely different position with a whole new set of nuances that the kid isn't used to.

Advertisement
Back