Numbers Outlook: Offense

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Miami's 2014 recruiting class has filled up at an accelerated rate recently, which leaves a limited number of spots remaining. I usually don't get caught up in the number of commits/signees in a class because the numbers always seem to work themselves out, but here I attempted to break down the number of signees expected at each position and who might fill these remaining spots. Expected number of signees for each position is in parentheses.

QB (2)
Commits: Brad Kaaya, Alin Edouard, Malik Rosier
Targets: None
James Coley locked up his quarterback class early by jumping on all three of the current commits before any other big-time programs. Kaaya isn’t going anywhere, but it would be a huge surprise to see Edouard wind up in the class. I expect him to wind up at West Virginia, Marshall, or Louisville. Rosier is solid for now, but if another big program offers then it could get interesting. Edouard de-committing would probably solidify Rosier.

RB (1-2)
Commits: Joseph Yearby
Targets: Dalvin Cook
Yearby is solid and is confident that he can handle the load if ends up being the only running back in the class. His teammate Dalvin Cook is trying to get Yearby to UF with him and vice-versa with Yearby and Miami. I’ve posted this before, but Miami’s best shot with Cook will be during basketball season when he will be on campus a lot for his brother, DeAndre Burnett, who is a freshman on the Miami basketball team. Cook has not been to Miami for a while so going to see his brother will be a good excuse for him to do so. A late run at Sony Michel is not completely out of the question, but it is extremely unlikely that materializes into anything.

WR (3)
Commits: Darrell Langham
Targets: Johnnie Dixon, Travis Rudolph, Ermon Lane, Braxton Berrios, JoJo Robinson
The picture at receiver is beginning to clear up. Langham is locked in and the ‘Canes lead for Dixon right now. Rudolph and Lane are very high on UF and the Gators have a huge need for playmakers at the position so that is an advantage for them. The projected class right now would be Langham, Dixon, and Berrios, which I would consider to be a great pull. It would have been tough to imagine a scenario a few months back where a receiver class without Lane could be considered a success, but it looks like that could happen. Current commit Trayone Gray from Carol City could play receiver, but I see his future on the defensive side of the ball.

TE (2)
Commits: Chris Herndon
Targets: Ravian Pierce, Bryce Dixon
Herndon is the lone commit and Pierce is the best prospect at the position in the area and one of the top in the country. He would be a great snag, but he has been very quiet with his recruitment. Dixon has stated in the past that Miami has always been a school he liked, but he recently told CanesInSight's Tito Benach that he was looking to stay on the West Coast. With Derrick Griffin enrolling in January in all likelihood, that might affect the number that the staff is looking to take.

OL (4-5)
Commits: Kc McDermott, Reilly Gibbons, Trevor Darling, Nick Linder
Targets: Demetrius Knox, Isaiah Wynn
The coaches have to be thrilled with the haul at offensive line and all of them are solid commitments. It seems like the staff wants another interior lineman in the class, which is why they are still pursuing Knox and Wynn. Knox looks like a UCLA lean at the moment and Miami might have offered Wynn too late to be a serious contender. If they strike out on these two, it would be interesting to see if they make a run at two local studs in Raul Diaz (Central) and A’lique Terry (Hialeah).

I will take a look at the defensive side of the ball tomorrow.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Pretty fair. Add a TE or 2 to the list. Any other juco kids or prep kids u need to add?

Dixon, Langham and Berrios.....so you don't see us flipping JoJo? And if he did flip would they take 4 WRs?

Advertisement
Dixon, Langham and Berrios.....so you don't see us flipping JoJo? And if he did flip would they take 4 WRs?

I don't think they will take both Berrios and JoJo. JoJo wants to do a signing day decision and Berrios will have his done way before that.

Advertisement
Just don't see cook coming here and losing Lane sucks especially to UFag. I love our class but losing arguably 3 of the top 4 offensive skill players hurts. Hopefully we make up with some stud d players

Advertisement
What about Austin Roberts?

Another guy who I would consider a long shot at this point. Ohio State rumblings are strong

Should Roberts commit to Taint, that could open up an opportunity for Miami with NJ TE Mike Gesicki.

Gesicki holds a Miami offer and took an UOV last month to Miami.

Taint guys feel Roberts will be committing next month to them while Gesicki is taking his time, going on more visits, and will decide in October or November. Taint guys feel they have 1 spot for either Roberts or Gesicki.

now pete, this UF chatter with lane, is that what you are hearing from sources or are you just basing this on the rumors on this board and others?

Advertisement
Back