Numbers Outlook: Defense

View as article
5-6 dt's aint happening.

Blah Blah Blah

We're losing 2 and possibly a 3rd. I expect to bring in 4-6 DTs depending on whether they are confident in Valentine (academics) and whether Pierre leaves early. 2 JUCOs and 3 HS Seniors would be my guess.

Advertisement
see the other thread. numbers crunch.

unless we plan on letting go current guys, and not taking any more Wr's or rb's, or any other position.

add Moten and be done with the Dline, imo.

unless we plan on letting go current guys, and not taking any more Wr's or rb's, or any other position.

Totally disagree, we need another JUCO guy.

Next year we would be trotting out Pierre, Stuckey, King, Moore, and then 3 true FR. That just isn't good enough. Maybe Grimble, Kamalu, Derosier but those guys are tweeners at the moment

Totally disagree, we need another JUCO guy.

Next year we would be trotting out Pierre, Stuckey, King, Moore, and then 3 true FR. That just isn't good enough. Maybe Grimble, Kamalu, Derosier but those guys are tweeners at the moment
This. Need 2 more at least. One Juco and Moten or someone else that may come on strong during this season. Another Juco is a must though.

Advertisement

I am not worries.

Odds are a few kids won't qualify or will not sign with Miami.

2 DTs, 1 LB, 1 DE, 2 WR, 1 RB and 1 DB

Advertisement
The staff must be waiting to evaluate Freddie Booth-Lloyd during his senior season because he was the only recruiting at the BBQ Without an offer. He also might be a backup plan that Miami will only take on signing day if a higher rated player doesn't commit.

Yesterday, I took a look at the offensive side of the ball (http://canesinsight.com/threads/53960-Numbers-Outlook-Offense) and tonight it's about the defense. If you add up the maximum number of projections for each position, that would be 31 for the class. The number will not necessarily be that high, but will will be close. Expected number of signees for each position is in parentheses.

DE (2)
Commits: Demetrius Jackson, Chad Thomas, Trent Harris
Targets: Keyon Brown, Kevin Bronson, Andrew Williams
Demetrius Jackson is really considered a hybrid guy, but with his frame we will see a lot of him with his hand on the ground. Chad Thomas is the obvious local stud, but Miami will have to fight off Louisville as well as Florida State. Keyon Brown has always been interested in Miami, but Georgia seems to have taken a lead with him. Trent Harris is a newer name, whose interest was really heightened by a camp trip last month.

DT (5-6)
Commits: Travonte Valentine, Dalvon Stuckey (JUCO), Courtel Jenkins, Anthony Moten, Michael Wyche
Targets: Mike Sawyers, Thomas Holley, Braxton Hoyett, Cory Johnson (JUCO), Lamont Gaillard, Claude Pelon (JUCO)
Biggest need on the team without question. Valentine’s recent commitment was a shot in the arm, but the staff needs to make sure he is doing everything he needs in order to qualify. They will take at least one more JUCO in all likelihood. Hoyett will be a tough pull because he seems to be high on the SEC from what he’s told me. Holley and Gaillard are both long shots, but I wouldn’t count them out for Holley completely. Sawyers is the wild card because he is Corn Elder’s former teammate and he has legit interest.

LB (4)
Commits: Juwon Young, Darrion Owens, Mike Smith, Terry McCray,
Targets: Antonio Smothers (JUCO), Keeon Virgile (JUCO), Vincent Jackson
This is a major strength of the class. Juwon Young looks like he could step onto the college field right now, Owens brings great versatility and length, and Smith has huge upside. Smith will play linebacker at Northwestern this season after playing primarily as a rush end last year (18 sacks). Ely’s Terry McCray is a candidate to be the next commitment.

CB (3)
Commits: Ryan Mayes, Dennis Turner (considered ATH), Nigel Bethel II
Targets: Chris Lammons,
Mayes and Turner are both solid, but the Lammons-Bethel dynamic will be one of the more interesting things to follow as the months wear on. I only see the staff taking one of the two, which would basically mean whoever committed first. I’m told Bethel wanted to be 100% sure of his decision and was not, so that is why he pushed back is announcement from Monday. Lammons looks like a true Miami-UF battle from talking to people who know him well. Mayes could play safety and it is very possible the coaches move him there once he gets on campus, but for now that is what they like him at.

S (2)
Commits: ATH Trayone Gray (considered ATH)
Targets: Quinton Flowers, Montae Nicholson, Kyle Gibson, Marquese Dudley-Gordon
Before doing this breakdown, I didn’t realize how big of a need this is. After this season, the only three remaining are Bush, Jenkins, and Carter so it is very thin. These three are all potentially studs, but you need reliable players behind them as well. I put Trayone Gray here because I really think that’s where he ends up. Quinton Flowers would be a great fit here as well, but he is unwilling to play anything other than quarterback right now. I would like to see them stay local here. Cypress Bay's Dudley-Gordon won MVP at the first camp and Miramar’s Andre Godfrey is another potential late option.

Updated.

I thought Pete did a great job with this post, so I figured it would be best just to update this instead of reinventing the wheel.
Updated again based on some of the recent defensive commitments.

Good stuff. I mentioned in another thread that it would take a debacle of epic proportions to F this class up. If Dnofrio (or whoever) cant make a Top 5 Defense out of this class along with the last two we've had, then I really have no answers. We have some STUDS. And dont let JC Jackson, Pelon or Boateng or Johnson come on board. Smh.

Advertisement
Yesterday, I took a look at the offensive side of the ball (http://canesinsight.com/threads/53960-Numbers-Outlook-Offense) and tonight it's about the defense. If you add up the maximum number of projections for each position, that would be 31 for the class. The number will not necessarily be that high, but will will be close. Expected number of signees for each position is in parentheses.

DE (2)
Commits: Demetrius Jackson, Chad Thomas, Trent Harris
Targets: Keyon Brown, Kevin Bronson, Andrew Williams
Demetrius Jackson is really considered a hybrid guy, but with his frame we will see a lot of him with his hand on the ground. Chad Thomas is the obvious local stud, but Miami will have to fight off Louisville as well as Florida State. Keyon Brown has always been interested in Miami, but Georgia seems to have taken a lead with him. Trent Harris is a newer name, whose interest was really heightened by a camp trip last month.

DT (5-6)
Commits: Travonte Valentine, Courtel Jenkins, Anthony Moten, Michael Wyche
Targets: Mike Sawyers, Thomas Holley, Braxton Hoyett, Cory Johnson (JUCO), Lamont Gaillard, Claude Pelon (JUCO)
Biggest need on the team without question. Valentine’s recent commitment was a shot in the arm, but the staff needs to make sure he is doing everything he needs in order to qualify. They will take at least one more JUCO in all likelihood. Hoyett will be a tough pull because he seems to be high on the SEC from what he’s told me. Holley and Gaillard are both long shots, but I wouldn’t count them out for Holley completely. Sawyers is the wild card because he is Corn Elder’s former teammate and he has legit interest.

LB (4)
Commits: Juwon Young, Darrion Owens, Mike Smith, Terry McCray,
Targets: Antonio Smothers (JUCO), Keeon Virgile (JUCO), Vincent Jackson
This is a major strength of the class. Juwon Young looks like he could step onto the college field right now, Owens brings great versatility and length, and Smith has huge upside. Smith will play linebacker at Northwestern this season after playing primarily as a rush end last year (18 sacks). Ely’s Terry McCray is a candidate to be the next commitment.

CB (3)
Commits: Ryan Mayes, Nigel Bethel II
Targets: Chris Lammons
Mayes and Turner are both solid, but the Lammons-Bethel dynamic will be one of the more interesting things to follow as the months wear on. I only see the staff taking one of the two, which would basically mean whoever committed first. I’m told Bethel wanted to be 100% sure of his decision and was not, so that is why he pushed back is announcement from Monday. Lammons looks like a true Miami-UF battle from talking to people who know him well. Mayes could play safety and it is very possible the coaches move him there once he gets on campus, but for now that is what they like him at.

S (2)
Commits: ATH Trayone Gray (considered ATH), Kiy Hester, Marques Gayot
Targets: Quinton Flowers, Montae Nicholson, Kyle Gibson, Marquese Dudley-Gordon
Before doing this breakdown, I didn’t realize how big of a need this is. After this season, the only three remaining are Bush, Jenkins, and Carter so it is very thin. These three are all potentially studs, but you need reliable players behind them as well. I put Trayone Gray here because I really think that’s where he ends up. Quinton Flowers would be a great fit here as well, but he is unwilling to play anything other than quarterback right now. I would like to see them stay local here. Cypress Bay's Dudley-Gordon won MVP at the first camp and Miramar’s Andre Godfrey is another potential late option.

Updated.

I thought Pete did a great job with this post, so I figured it would be best just to update this instead of reinventing the wheel.
Updated again based on some of the recent defensive commitments.

Updated based on the changes to the DBs.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back