Numbers Never Lie: ACC Stats on Offense Through Five Games

What’s sad as well is the ol is very good yet the offense sucks. That’s unheard of. Usually if your offense stinks it’s related to a bad ol.

So basically the play calling and qb play are killing the team. Also maybe all the inside runs too. Do we ever try and run off tackle??
But it is more Macho to run inside against 8 in the box. Just ask Mario

Advertisement
What’s sad as well is the ol is very good yet the offense sucks. That’s unheard of. Usually if your offense stinks it’s related to a bad ol.

So basically the play calling and qb play are killing the team. Also maybe all the inside runs too. Do we ever try and run off tackle??
No way. We are saving the fast guys who can make those runs for the portal:nice::nice::nice:

Advertisement
Here’s a really alarming data point.

In 13 ACC games, Mario Cristobal is 5-8. Three of those wins are in overtime, one is against 3-8 Virginia Tech.

He has one win by double digits.
This is not surprising at all. It’s who Mario is. The type of game he wants to play, keeps the other team in the game. It why he inevitably loses a couple of awful games every year.

disgusted team america GIF

Advertisement
Some ACC stats (14 teams).

Points Per Game: 22.8 ppg (8th)
Touchdowns: 11 (T-12th)
Offensive Touchdowns: 10 (11th)
Plays run: 356 (8th)
Average Yards/Play: 5.2 (T-8th with Pitt lol, his Bro-in-Crime)

Rushing yards: 699 (10th)
Rushing Yards/Game: 139.8 (8th)
Yards per Carry: 4.1ypc (8th)

Passing Yards: 1,116 (9th)
Passing Yards/Game: 233.2 (8th)
Interceptions thrown: 11 (1st)
Completion Percentage: 64.5% (3rd)
Average Yards per Completion: 6.3 (T-10th)
Passing TDs: 6 (T-9th)

First Downs: 104 (10th)
Average First Downs/Game: 20.8 (8th)
Time of Possession per 60: 32:44 (4th)

Red Zone Conversions: 75% (13th)
Trips into Red Zone: 16 (9th)
Red Zone TDs: 6 (11th)

Misc. Stats

Points per game in regulation (no OT): 19.4 ppg!!!
Average Margin of victory: 5.5 points
Average Margin of defeat: 9 points

We put up these numbers against teams with a combined record of 25-20. I don’t think it’s about it get much better.

It’s time to question if this is an improvement not just from last season, but from previous regimes as well…especially considering the financial playing field isn’t quite level.

Multiple things have to change. Fast. We’re failing to average 20 in regulation…that’s unacceptable at any program with a modicum of pride.
ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Some ACC stats (14 teams).

Points Per Game: 22.8 ppg (8th)
Touchdowns: 11 (T-12th)
Offensive Touchdowns: 10 (11th)
Plays run: 356 (8th)
Average Yards/Play: 5.2 (T-8th with Pitt lol, his Bro-in-Crime)

Rushing yards: 699 (10th)
Rushing Yards/Game: 139.8 (8th)
Yards per Carry: 4.1ypc (8th)

Passing Yards: 1,116 (9th)
Passing Yards/Game: 233.2 (8th)
Interceptions thrown: 11 (1st)
Completion Percentage: 64.5% (3rd)
Average Yards per Completion: 6.3 (T-10th)
Passing TDs: 6 (T-9th)

First Downs: 104 (10th)
Average First Downs/Game: 20.8 (8th)
Time of Possession per 60: 32:44 (4th)

Red Zone Conversions: 75% (13th)
Trips into Red Zone: 16 (9th)
Red Zone TDs: 6 (11th)

Misc. Stats

Points per game in regulation (no OT): 19.4 ppg!!!
Average Margin of victory: 5.5 points
Average Margin of defeat: 9 points

We put up these numbers against teams with a combined record of 25-20. I don’t think it’s about it get much better.

It’s time to question if this is an improvement not just from last season, but from previous regimes as well…especially considering the financial playing field isn’t quite level.

Multiple things have to change. Fast. We’re failing to average 20 in regulation…that’s unacceptable at any program with a modicum of pride.

At least we came in with a #1.

Advertisement
It's to the point where I was asking my buddies watching the game Saturday why Mario bothers to recruit speed because he obviously has no use for it. Where was all the speed Saturday night? They were on the end of the bench where all the super fast guys sit. Where was Brashard Smith? Oh that's right, we tried to get him the ball on a fade in the end zone. You read that right. A fade to Smith in the end zone lol. It's laughable! [BGCOLOR=initial]You have to laugh right? [/BGCOLOR]

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is not surprising at all. It’s who Mario is. The type of game he wants to play, keeps the other team in the game. It why he inevitably loses a couple of awful games every year.
That's exactly what he does and he knows it. He purposely keeps the other team in the game by design because using your inherent talent advantage(assuming he has one) to go up by multiple scores makes your team soft. When you get a lead you are supposed to mash the other team into submission and grind out 10 minute 16 play drives that consist of 14 runs. That's how you build champions. No matter that your team isn't built to do that and is more of a passing team who scores quickly. He will take a team that should beat a another by 35 by throwing the ball and lock them into a 14-10 death struggle and possibly lose a game that he was favored by 24 because he is teaching them to be Tuff and Fizicul. The man isn't right in the head and he will literally run this program into the ground. Pun intended.

That's exactly what he does and he knows it. He purposely keeps the other team in the game by design because usMC will keep you right where you are with the occaing your inherent talent advantage(assuming he has one) to go up by multiple scores makes your team soft. When you get a lead you are supposed to mash the other team into submission and grind out 10 minute 16 play drives that consist of 14 runs. That's how you build champions. No matter that your team isn't built to do that and is more of a passing team who scores quickly. He will take a team that should beat a another by 35 by throwing the ball and lock them into a 14-10 death struggle and possibly lose a game that he was favored by 24 because he is teaching them to be Tuff and Fizicul. The man isn't right in the head and he will literally run this program into the ground. Pun intended.
Wow, that is so very familiar to me. So he has not changed anything since he coached at Oregon. He has his way to do things and that is that. I remember years ago when I was glad Oregon never played Miami because it would have been a massacre. MC will keep you where you are and with the once in awhile breakout game that will trick you into hoping again. Anyway, up the middle go your RBs...

Wow, that is so very familiar to me. So he has not changed anything since he coached at Oregon. He has his way to do things and that is that. I remember years ago when I was glad Oregon never played Miami because it would have been a massacre. MC will keep you where you are and with the once in awhile breakout game that will trick you into hoping again. Anyway, up the middle go your RBs...
Unfortunately this guy has learned nothing from his experience at Oregon. He hasn't grown or evolved as a coach. He's just a mediocre stooge who likes to talk tough. He literally doesn't see the game like most do. His mentality is completely warped. I would compare it to the super weird over the top fearful fatalistic way that Mark Donofrio viewed defense. The man was so deeply terrified of giving up a big play that his entire defensive structure was based on the prevent defense. He was so scared of WRs getting behind his DBs that he would allow opposing offense to do anything else they wanted. As long as he wasn't giving up 60-80 yard TD bombs he was happy conceding first down after first down and getting torched in every other way imaginable.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back