Nuggets 2.0

Advertisement
Would love to see Kam Kinchens on punt and kickoff, from what I’ve read on here he seems like a high effort kid with exceptional football IQ. He could definitely be a standout freshman earning playing time on special teams like Manny’s done in the past.

Yes, but there’s some big fish bouncing after spring. Can’t talk to anyone until it’s official. We all wait together... We might have the same thing here. Kids want to play, be number one and get film for the NFL. Everyone has to do what’s best for their families.
Interesting topic. Unless they change the IC rules, not sure portal-ing will be so big this spring. Do we want to use more than 1 or 2 spots from ‘22?

As far as our guys who might see a benefit to new scenery, I could imagine a WR or 2, a LB, a striker, a DT, maybe w\even a RB.

Interesting topic. Unless they change the IC rules, not sure portal-ing will be so big this spring. Do we want to use more than 1 or 2 spots from ‘22?

As far as our guys who might see a benefit to new scenery, I could imagine a WR or 2, a LB, a striker, a DT, maybe w\even a RB.
I think there’s several things that need to happen, for us to hit the portal. However, they’re not sleeping.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I just don't understand why it takes this coaching staff so long to adjust to stuff that many of us have spotted from day 1.

NOW they finally realize that Carter isn't a safety. That decision is about 3 years late but I guess better late than never.
this is where you see the results of actually recruiting a position at an elite level. when we had jaquan and redwine, amari was used closer to the LOS, primarily as a blitzer. now with kinchens, avantae, perhaps james williams in the rotation we can afford to move amari to another position. in 2019 our safety rotation was hall, knowles, bolden, and carter. last year it was hall, bolden, carter, and brian balom. having talent gives you options, not having talent means guys playing out of position.

Good post but he didn’t fire his guys. He took advantage of them leaving by hiring upgrades.
Technically true, yes. He didn’t fire everyone the day after the bowl game like many of us clamored for.

I think Diaz encouraged Baker to ‘seek other opportunities’ by taking away play calling duties. Rumph was demoted to a non-coaching position. Stroud removed from coaching for health reasons. Banda left on his own.

Either way, all four were replaced by better coaches. We’ll see about DVD, but we all assume T-Robb is mentoring him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
this is where you see the results of actually recruiting a position at an elite level. when we had jaquan and redwine, amari was used closer to the LOS, primarily as a blitzer. now with kinchens, avantae, perhaps james williams in the rotation we can afford to move amari to another position. in 2019 our safety rotation was hall, knowles, bolden, and carter. last year it was hall, bolden, carter, and brian balom. having talent gives you options, not having talent means guys playing out of position.

I hear you, but the Carter thing wasn't about recruiting problems because truth be told our depth chart has been weak AT BOTH secondary and LB positions for a while now.

No, this is something else. It's the failure of a coaching staff to take inventory of what they had on a particular roster and having enough vision to know where a guy's skill set would be best put to use.

Carter was never and should never have been a safety. This isn't something that's being said now, people like myself have been yelling this since the first day he stepped on campus.

Although I agree with you that we shouldn’t use more than 1 or 2 spots from 22, I can see Manny viewing this as a contract year for him and hitting the portal for another 3 or 4 guys that he feels will help him get them team to 10-3 and pretty much guarantee his extension.

Although I agree with you that we shouldn’t use more than 1 or 2 spots from 22, I can see Manny viewing this as a contract year for him and hitting the portal for another 3 or 4 guys that he feels will help him get them team to 10-3 and pretty much guarantee his extension.
You might be right but that would be too bad. Mortgaging the future to save his *** is a borscht move.

Advertisement
But wait, I thought Amari was one of the best Safeties we had? You mean to tell me that was just coach speak after all? No way, I don't believe it. He was so good that they moved him? How could they?!?

Thanks for the info. Encouraging on the DL. Coaching matters.
He may have been but you certainly have an infusion of young talent that makes this move possible.

This. I doubt any reasonable fan will be calling for banners if Manny loses a couple hard-fought games. But UNC is not a more talented team than Miami. We should expect to beat those guys and all the other mediocre teams in the ACC not named Clemson.
You're definitely reaching... NC has a Heisman front runner in Sam Howell who has 74 Total TDs 14INTs and 7400 total Yards in only 25 Games, as long as NC has him, they will be able to drop 40+ on any given night. It's just one of those things, UNC struck gold with him and they will be a problem until he leaves which is hopefully after this season. NC State is a **** good team and usually wins 8-9 games a year. Plus you have VT who is always a thorn in our side. We got to stop having this mindset that we are this upper echelon elite program when we have been no more then a middle of the pack ACC team for the last 15 years. We have to bring our A game to every game or we will lose simple as that, were not like Ohio State, Clemson or Bama were we are so talented we can play like **** and still win easily

I hear you, but the Carter thing wasn't about recruiting problems because truth be told our depth chart has been weak AT BOTH secondary and LB positions for a while now.

No, this is something else. It's the failure of a coaching staff to take inventory of what they had on a particular roster and having enough vision to know where a guy's skill set would be best put to use.

Carter was never and should never have been a safety. This isn't something that's being said now, people like myself have been yelling this since the first day he stepped on campus.
Carter was around the LOS plenty as a freshman. He was a blitzer, speciality player. Not a safety. So what happens when you lose guys to the NFL and make scheme change and move safeties to the Striker? He becomes for the most part one of three actual safeties on the roster.

The same coaching staff was able to see that Finley and Frierson would be best used at the striker instead of true safeties. So if they saw that was Amari Carter's winning personality so blinding that they couldn't see he'd be best put some place else? Or maybe lack of options at safety made them think he should stay there.

Did you want to give even more snaps to Robert Knowles in '18 and '19? Bolden was held out early in '19 and then he got hurt celebrating against FSU. So if you got your wish in '19, Robert Knowles and Gurvan Hall get all the safety snaps most of the year and you don't have a third safety. Is that poor roster management? Possibly. When you create a new position and move your recruited safeties to Striker now you've got holes and depth concerns at that position.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Carter was around the LOS plenty as a freshman. He was a blitzer, speciality player. Not a safety. So what happens when you lose guys to the NFL and make scheme change and move safeties to the Striker? He becomes for the most part one of three actual safeties on the roster.

The same coaching staff was able to see that Finley and Frierson would be best used at the striker instead of true safeties. So if they saw that was Amari Carter's winning personality so blinding that they couldn't see he'd be best put some place else? Or maybe lack of options at safety made them think he should stay there.

Did you want to give even more snaps to Robert Knowles in '18 and '19? Bolden was held out early in '19 and then he got hurt celebrating against FSU. So if you got your wish in '19, Robert Knowles and Gurvan Hall get all the safety snaps most of the year and you don't have a third safety. Is that poor roster management? Possibly. When you create a new position and move your recruited safeties to Striker now you've got holes and depth concerns at that position.

I'm not gonna type a thesis in response to this, and trust me I could. I simply disagree with almost every syllable of most what is typed here.

The holes in the depth chart are a result of Manny's **** poor defensive recruiting. Manny the DC was here before Manny the HC was here. As such we have BOTH sample size and enough time lapse that it can safely be stated that EVERY SINGLE PLAYER ON THAT DEFENSIVE DEPTH CHART, and the ones that AREN'T there, are DIRECTLY the result of Manny's recruiting and evaluations.

So with all that being said, it's the job of the head coach and/or staff members to PUT PLAYERS IN THE POSITIONW WHERE THEY CAN BEST MAXIMIZE THEIR GOD GIVEN TALENTS. "Holes in the depth chart" are the results of another problem, one I've briefly touched on above. The two concepts shouldn't be confused or intertwined. It's Manny the defensive coaches job to make sure the roster is maximized, it's Manny the head coach, recruiter, and face of the program's job to make sure the cupboard is stocked.

So you go ahead and draw conclusions about which one of Manny's job functions failed the depth chart, but the genesis of the problem originates from the EXACT same location

Technically true, yes. He didn’t fire everyone the day after the bowl game like many of us clamored for.

I think Diaz encouraged Baker to ‘seek other opportunities’ by taking away play calling duties. Rumph was demoted to a non-coaching position. Stroud removed from coaching for health reasons. Banda left on his own.

Either way, all four were replaced by better coaches. We’ll see about DVD, but we all assume T-Robb is mentoring him.
It’s not just technically true. It’s true. Baker would still be on this staff if Orgeron’s dumb *** didn’t hire him. Banda got a DC gig. The other guys weren’t his boys.

You're definitely reaching... NC has a Heisman front runner in Sam Howell who has 74 Total TDs 14INTs and 7400 total Yards in only 25 Games, as long as NC has him, they will be able to drop 40+ on any given night. It's just one of those things, UNC struck gold with him and they will be a problem until he leaves which is hopefully after this season. NC State is a **** good team and usually wins 8-9 games a year. Plus you have VT who is always a thorn in our side. We got to stop having this mindset that we are this upper echelon elite program when we have been no more then a middle of the pack ACC team for the last 15 years. We have to bring our A game to every game or we will lose simple as that, were not like Ohio State, Clemson or Bama were we are so talented we can play like **** and still win easily
The comment was about talent. We have recruited more talent (on paper) than any of the teams you mention. If we have talent and keep losing, the problem must be with our coaching. If our real talent underperforms our paper talent, the alternative is bad evaluations, which is also on the coaches.

Advertisement
Back