Now the fun part

Advertisement

2001 Miami Coaching Staff​

Head Coach: Larry Coker (12-0)
Offensive Coordinator: Rob Chudzinksi
Defensive Coordinator: Randy Shannon
Other Assistant Coaches: Mark Stoops (DB Coach) Curtis Johnson(WR Coach)

I did not forget them, why I said etc. And Stoops was on Butch’s staff.

I do not think that post says what you think it says...

"In February 2001, Stoops was named the defensive backs coach for the University of Miami Hurricanes, replacing Chuck Pagano, who left to go to the Cleveland Browns."

Advertisement
Just what I heard from my guy at the school: “If coaches are getting fired they deserve an academy award because everyone is acting as if they are running this back”

All these coaches are Oscar candidates. Every day, at 100 other schools, you have coaches who tell players that they are going to be top draft choices, they won't change positions, they will build the team around them, they are the first-choice/top-priority recruit.

Not to mention the stuff about wanting to coach at the school forever, no plans to move elsewhere, etc.

Yeah, this is par for the course.

No....according to him...Stoops was on Butch’s staff....Lol...and Coker didn't hire Stoops....Paul Dee did....

You are all wrong.

Stoops played at UM under Andy Gustafson. After an NFL Hall of Fame career, Stoops was hired as Defensive Coordinator by President Henry King Stanford and AD Doc Mallios. Both Schellenberger and JJ retained Stoops, though he left when Erickson came aboard. Then Butch brought Stoops back as DC after he fired Bill Miller.

I Googled this and found all of the information in the Wikipedia bio of Josh Gattis.

I think we should look at Stoops. I mean he played for Butch and Mario was there too.

@RVACane @IndayArtHauz

1670165416982.png

[Discaimer: This photo of purgatory eggs was taken from Google images, not my own kitchen table]

Advertisement
at this point even if our prayers are answered and Gattis is let go, why tf did it need to take this long. I just don’t understand why Mario moves like this. No other school in the country keeps things so secretive like this and it’s so wack.

Advertisement
at this point even if our prayers are answered and Gattis is let go, why tf did it need to take this long. I just don’t understand why Mario moves like this. No other school in the country keeps things so secretive like this and it’s so wack.

OK, a few things.

First, what does it matter if Gattis is let go last Sunday or this Sunday? Do we really think that EVERY firing in the country has already taken place? Yes, we know about the ones that make the news, but this is cherry-picking data and then selective outrage that Gattis is not one of those (not saying "you", just saying it generally).

Second, as for no other school in the country keeps things so secretive, that is not true. This is how Saban operates, and that is not intended to "compare" Mario to Nick, it is a reflection that Mario picked up some of his work habits when he worked at Alabama. Now, we can argue if he is AS EFFECTIVE doing some of the same things, and that is a fair conversation, but the concept of "secrecy" is not really that unique to Mario.

Third, I don't know why any of us NEED to "understand:" why Mario moves like this. As @Cribby and many other outsiders have pointed out, we don't even know all the candidates and contingencies. We have no idea whether there are "current employer" sensitivities involved. We have no idea whether Mario is trying to help current staffers land new opportunities without negative baggage (i.e., "fired from last job").

However, what I do know is that LAST YEAR AT THIS TIME, Mario had a lot more on his plate. He had to evaluate existing UM staff, decide on who to bring with him from Oregon, wrestle with guys like B-Mac and T-Rob treating Miami like a temporary landing place (and, no, I haven't forgotten that Mario did something similar when he moved from Golden's staff to Saban's staff), and then hiring new coaches. All of which took place at a point where he was making a cross-country move, his mother was dying, we MASSIVELY increased the size of the support staff hires, and we had to hit December and February and Portal windows without the support of the kind of organization that Alonzo has built.

NONE of those things are "excuses". They are just points of comparison, where NOW we can say "hey, I can UNDERSTAND why maybe, JUST MAYBE, Mario won't need as much time to interview/hire staff. A lot of the "taking a new job" things are gone, and Mario has a lot more administrative support TODAY than he had 365 days ago.

Let's just chill out for a few minutes and let the guy earn his paycheck.

Advertisement
Soooo it's been a week. I'm just saying hope we putting together some good hirings before all the good assistants get locked up more and more are gonna be off the table with each passing day

Mario is too classy to fire anyone.

Advertisement
Back