Now or Never for Will Mallory (and Gattis’ use of TEs?)

WeBallinBoyz

Whisper "It Just Means More" Again Daddy
Premium
Yep, another thread predominately centered around the 6’5’’ senior. With X out for the foreseeable future, our TE production is that much more vital to the success of the team. I want to start off by acknowledging that the season isn’t over if we lose this game, but there are certain things that we (at the very least) HAVE to see from both this unit and Gattis if we are to achieve some of the goals we discussed in the fall.

Currently occupying one of the Greentree All-American Mt. Rushmore spots, in what’s become a yearly tradition on CIS…Mallory is hyped all off-season only to fall considerably short when the lights come on, disappearing during multiple key contests. He’s never eclipsed more than 30 receptions or 350 yards in a season, and while we’ve seen incremental success since 2018, it’s not nearly the production we as a fanbase expected.

Two receptions for 21 yards through two games isn’t going to cut it; you can say Gattis was keeping it close to the vest, or Mario wanted to emphasize running the ball to get that unit confident heading into College Station…and hey, maybe that’s fair. But there’s no more of that now - it’s simply an excuse when Kyle Field gets rockin’ at 9 pm.

Gattis is known to run multiple TE sets; It’s only logical to assume Gattis didn’t abandon this staple and both Mallory and Arroyo will have ample opportunities to make plays. The time has come for Will to become TVD’s new safety blanket: he doesn’t have a choice. He’s a veteran, he’s played in big-time atmospheres before, and he’s healthy (knock on wood). Put up or sit down.

I’m already in the camp that Arroyo should take Mallory’s reps, but truthfully, we need both on Saturday. No more excuses - it’s time for Will Mallory to show us if he’s got IT. Gattis needs to earn his paycheck and scheme these guys open. SouthPark said A&M isn’t respecting the TE’s? Perfect chance to unleash the duo (and maybe Skinner or Brantley in certain looks) after their nonexistent showing the first two contests. If the corners are going to go 1v1 on our WRs, and the Aggies are content blitzing all night…TE’s need to chip and make plays in space Vs. Their LBs.

Advertisement
Will Mallory is not That Dude... We have tried extensively to force the ball to this guy in critical situations, and he has proven that he's not worthy of it.

Kid is weak! Needs another 4 years that he doesn't have to fix the issues with his game as a TE. He can't block, his ball skills suck, he can't hold onto the ball and absorb a hit. The only thing he can do is run like a deer, for a TE; but those opportunities are few and far in between.

Matter of fact, w/Arroyo hurt, it's time to scrap the whole concept of trying to play in 2 TE sets... Much less any form of smash mouth football, with the OL that we have. But as for Mallory, we can't hang our hat on this kid. He isn't going to get drafted, because clearly he isn't that formidable as a player, so why even keep trying to feature this kid.

I feel like we've been here before, trying to force a 2 TE set, as if we were NE Patriots, under the Golden era, then we looked much better after moving onto a spread offense... We can't play smashmouth football, until we have the right guys; same goes for our TE's... (BTW, i think Arroyo is the prototype we need)

All TE's aren't the same... we tend to go after Pass-Catching TE's moreso than blocking TE's, but then expect our undersized, light in the behind TE's to hold up in the trenches... We're forcing it.

Let's move on! Please forward this to coach LOL!!!

Last edited:
Mallory will make a few plays but you know the bad play is coming it always does, seems like a good kid and I'm sure he will be successful in life probably not football tho.

Advertisement
Mallory will make a few plays but you know the bad play is coming it always does, seems like a good kid and I'm sure he will be successful in life probably not football tho.

Yeah, he's serviceable.. but we can't run behind him on 3rd and short... Or throw to him in critical situation.

Kid just isn't reliable/clutch in that way... Coaches have to stop thinking this kid is big-time like that, he's simply serviceable.

Mallory should cut 20 pounds and be a WR.

Hes a good athlete for his size and at least he uses his hands to catch.

Asking him to be a 240 lb TE and blocking is the improper use of him.

Its like being upset with Chikillo playing 3-4 DE at 295 lb.

We talking football here, not your weirdo Dahmer fantasies
golf fall GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back