Notre Dame Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
We are really good at half court defense and will out-athlete some opponents. Other than that, the team is pretty much a hot mess.

Anyone else confused as to why we called that timeout at the end? A lot more difficult to get a shot off when you're inbounding from half court against a press

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are u joking? A Laranaga called play off of a time out or.. An "And One" type circus series of forced one on one and poor shots? Jesus, I take the TO all day.

I'm really, really, really, really ****ed at Manu. With Manu as PG, Newton could be a 2, or a 6th man. He's a scorer. He's averaging 15+ ppg. He's not a bad player, but he's being asked to be a PG, which he's not. I'm really, really, really ****ed at Manu. He was behind Angel, and thought he was behind Newton, so he left. He sat out a year. He could have sat out a year here, and then Angel would have been gone. I'm really, really really ****ed at Manu.

But generally how do you feel about Manu?

Advertisement
Anyone else confused as to why we called that timeout at the end? A lot more difficult to get a shot off when you're inbounding from half court against a press

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are u joking? A Laranaga called play off of a time out or.. An "And One" type circus series of forced one on one and poor shots? Jesus, I take the TO all day.

Agreed. We have no point guard to set a play, so L had to take the TO.

Their defense was scrambling and we could have gotten a good look. Instead you force a freshman to inbound the ball in a tough situation and don't even get a shot off

Meh, about what you would expect. NIT this year, back in the dance next year.

Their defense was scrambling and we could have gotten a good look. Instead you force a freshman to inbound the ball in a tough situation and don't even get a shot off

ND had 4 fouls to give. There was no chance they were going to allow us to take a 3.

Advertisement
This team is so **** careless with the ball and are playing selfish(newton, reed,Murphy) it's infuriating. And we keep turning the all over. I'll be glad when they are gone

You'll be glad when Reed is gone? Stick to fighting on the football board.

Agreed. Any Cane fan who is wants Reed gone is clueless. Murphy had a nice game tonight too.

We are really good at half court defense and will out-athlete some opponents. Other than that, the team is pretty much a hot mess.

Exactly. They actually held it together most of the night and only had 10 turnovers in about 38 minutes. Then we had 3 in the last two minutes. Tough loss.

57% from the line. 13 turnovers. Lost the battle of second chance points at key times. ******* infuriating

Advertisement
That was the most disappointing way to lose a game. The arena was live after the run that tied the game them gave us the lead. Then we literally just handed them the ball at the end of the game, then we can't even inbound it.

I'm not usually on the basketball board, can someone inform me of what the **** is going on with this team? That should have been an easy win for us. Do we have any elite guys coming in next year or did we get any this year??

Is it football season yet?

That was the most disappointing way to lose a game. The arena was live after the run that tied the game them gave us the lead. Then we literally just handed them the ball at the end of the game, then we can't even inbound it.

I'm not usually on the basketball board, can someone inform me of what the **** is going on with this team? That should have been an easy win for us. Do we have any elite guys coming in next year or did we get any this year??

Do you realize that Notre Dame is an experienced team, that is ranked twentieth in the country? Do you know that ND had Villanova beat, and they have some good wins in conference already? Even at home, this wasn't some scrub team coming in. Should the 'Canes have pulled it off tonight? Yes, you don't give games like that away, because that win would have been big at selection time. Now, the 'Canes will have to steal one, if they are to crawl back into the bubble discussion.

By the way, this year's freshman class was one of the highest rated in program history, next year's class is just as highly touted. Maybe, not just maybe you should consider reading some of the threads on this board, before you start making assumptions about the program.

I never liked our chances. Overly reliant on the 3 point shot, even on a team with not enough pure shooters. Notre Dame was very well coached. They knew we didn't have guys who create their own inside shot in half court mode so they overplayed the 3 point line and the inside-outside passes throughout the game.

Those huge comebacks are fragile. Very hard to sustain. At some point the numbers make little sense. You aren't going to outscore a slightly superior team by 10 or 15 points over an extended period. Not often. It's very typical for the run to finish and then the opponent counters with a run of its own, like tonight. I told the fans sitting next to me it was likely to happen, unless we bumped the lead to 7 or more and Notre Dame had to force things.

Bruce Brown can't finish. Every time he drives to the basket I wonder where the clank will wind up. None of our guys have any clue toward how to use the backboard on those shots. Well, maybe a couple of times per game. Otherwise we play ping pong on either side of the rim.

More than anything we need one or two guys who can penetrate in the half court, find their own shot, and have a variety of finishing moves including touch and use of the glass. I realize that's a nice plan, like the guys who want to beat Alabama with the spread. But it drives me nuts every season. We love those alley oop plays. Not nearly so many this year with McClellan gone. I keep thinking I'd give up 10 years of alley oop dunks for a steady diet of guys who can create on their own.

Huell should be out there. I have no idea what happened to him. In early December he was becoming a force. Then the last game I attended a few weeks ago before the holidays, against George Washington, Huell was badly outplayed by Izundu. In fact, Larranaga benched Huell in favor of Izundu for the final 6 or 8 minutes. I assumed it was a one time deal, a lesson. But it played out again tonight. I was shocked how seldom Huell played. It is a mistake. Izundu has some ability but other than occasionally catching opponents off guard by being left handed he simply isn't the talent that Huell is.

That D.J. kid receives too much playing time. I couldn't believe he was out there down the stretch tonight. He is the epitome of the type of guy we over recruit...catch and shoot and otherwise no chance to create anything on his own.

Anthony Lawrence is making the same mistakes as last season. He always looks more promising than the results. For whatever reason he also has the little things go against him, whether it's borderline foul calls or shots that rim in and out.

Oh well. I expected to lose this game. Young teams as small conference home chalk have a poor history early in conference play. I believe it was the first home conference defeat since two seasons ago.

BTW, we absolutely should have continued the final possession while down 65-62, instead of calling time out. I jumped up and screamed when we called time out. Major gaffe. Notre Dame had several time outs to give. During the run of play the players probably wouldn't have realized that, and allowed us to pull up. Given that time out you known **** well they were going to hack us repeatedly, and it would take a semi miracle to get a competent look.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Do you realize that Notre Dame is an experienced team, that is ranked twentieth in the country? Do you know that ND had Villanova beat, and they have some good wins in conference already? Even at home, this wasn't some scrub team coming in. Should the 'Canes have pulled it off tonight? Yes, you don't give games like that away, because that win would have been big at selection time. Now, the 'Canes will have to steal one, if they are to crawl back into the bubble discussion.

By the way, this year's freshman class was one of the highest rated in program history, next year's class is just as highly touted. Maybe, not just maybe you should consider reading some of the threads on this board, before you start making assumptions about the program.

As soon as I read that it should have been an easy win for us, I stopped reading, the guy obvioulsy doesnt know anything abot college basketball or the team.

Like I said, I don't come on the basketball side too often. I never made assumptions about the team. We were up by four with a few possessions left and the momentum. No reason to throw it away like that..

I was obviously asking question because I DONT KNOW. Thank you,for letting me know I have something to look forward to with these high ranked classes coming in...

I swear some of you guys are too sensitive

For the "Huell should be playing more" crowd: Do you think Coach L forgets about him? Do you think he doesn't want to give us the best chance to win? Do you think he doesn't know how to utilize his roster? Seems to me if Huell is not playing, it's because he's not earning the playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back